My Redhead Rebuild

Brian,
It sure is.

Some go longer on the length but if memory serves me correctly 2" is the preferred length.

Jeff

Jeff thanks I figured that was the right size my project is on hold need a donor grill to much stuff missing, the tank scale, the manifold bracket and the large drip tray has a huge amount of rust on the edges might play around with quiksteel see if I can fix it table on the left the rod that supports it is bent and I want the cross piece they put on the lx to slide for the table rod.

Jeff thanks I figured that was the right size my project is on hold need a donor grill to much stuff missing, the tank scale, the manifold bracket and the large drip tray has a huge amount of rust on the edges might play around with quiksteel see if I can fix it table on the left the rod that supports it is bent and I want the cross piece they put on the lx to slide for the table rod.

I am waiting on parts to connect a stabilizing bar.

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?69...ill-be-amazing&p=782626&viewfull=1#post782626

So my charbroil gas grill is falling apart faster than I thought. Going to need a donor but got to get it done with what I have the studs the rails on 2 of them are gone half way with holes in them no wonder the first screw came out so easy so quiksteel to fix that what tap size do I need for those screws since 2 of them will need to be filled.

Brian

What does everybody do with the axle, might is solid but rusted in the middle are you spray painting them with some silver or something like that?

I would probably just paint it black like the frame. However, I think it is a galvanized rod and I don't think zinc plating is a good surface for most paints to adhere to.

Guys and Girls I need some help I got most of the stuff I needed from Weber but they no longer sell the part number 90286 which was the north south bracket to mount the the tank scale to they did sell me the tank scale 99243 and they threw me a bone for 5 bucks on some other stuff needed to ask but they were great. I was also looking for the front panel on the right side which was 85797 and the push pins were 62196. They are not a big deal for that but I need the 90286 pretty surprised they did not sell 90286 cause used till 2005 I think.

Please pm me hopefully someone has the bracket for the tank scale in the graveyard somewhere will pay you for the part plus whatever shipping costs are.

Brian

Brian, I would probably look for a donor grill. One of those curbside pickups. The parts you need likely will be in good condition.

If you show me a diagram or photo of the 90286, I might be able to help you out

Brian, I might be able to help you out. The #53 "buttons" are simply plastic guides or buffers designed to hold the propane tank from leaning against the metal frame.

Dang, I just went out and checked my donor grill. It doesn't have those parts. I hadn't taken them off, so I guess they were removed by the original owner. All of my deep box Genesis 1000 grills have different parts than what you are looking for. The Silver B's have what you need.
Again, I suggest just keeping an eye on Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace for a donor grill. They are out there. People just want them out of the way and now might be a good time as people are putting grills away for the winter and may not want to store them, knowing they need a new one anyway. Otherwise, you will see them for sure next spring.

Bruce, I think the deep box tank scale assembly can be used just bolt the new tank scale in that, part I gave you goes to the 1000 also the difference due to a separate scale which they simplified on the b's so doubt you have one you would need the whole setup for the old tank scale. I think on one of Jeff's restores he bolted the new tank scale into the original assembly might have been his platinum restore. Thanks for looking I have been looking for 6 weeks unlike what you and J have been finding which seems to be quite a few. Only one deep box I have seen the guy had restored it needed grates wanted $150 sold in 3 days. The silver b's have been more in the $80 and up range.

I found the cedar for my slats this morning in a trip to Lowes, this was in the specialty woods section where they have the select pine and stuff. They were clearing out 3.5 wide x 10' by 3/4 thick for under 6 bucks cheaper than the 8'. I went thru 20 boards and then found one that did not have one knothole in it I mean perfect, I have all the tools so ripping it not an issue also have a 12" chop saw and will need some finishing sanding to get it to the correct thickness for the original slats but not much. I think this is where Ed found the 1x2's that he used they are a bit thinner not much but they just need to be cut to length, you have to go thru a lot of them though most in really bad shape, Home Depot carries them also. I gave up on my handle so will be doing a new one which I want to be a bit taller than the original so I can rip that anyway I want to with this board.

I was going to use a solid stain which is about the only thing that works long term in ATL but this board was so perfect it really needs the grain to show thru. Probably use teak oil not decided yet.

Try to get some progress pics posted tonight or tomorrow.

Getting there the inside of the lid is clean so did not post a pic on that but the rest of my weber parts be here this week then start on the wood.

iz0SMx2.jpg

AvEt9Gk.jpg

X9GXb7b.jpg

UroOavh.jpg

1cdliXu.jpg

Last edited:
Brian, it is looking quite good so far. Have you fired up the burners to see how they glow???

Bruce, I have the manifold bracket coming this week then will mount the manifold and fire it up same burners you bought they are a perfect fit.

Jeff thanks have a question to both, my grill was missing those plastic inserts and screws which I ordered from Weber, do the inserts go thru the frame then you install the control panel and put the screws in?

Happy so far lid came out very good Weber emblem also looks good I think, that was high heat ultra then sanding like others have said, I did not take the emblem off tape all around and used a small sanding block so took awhile no question taking it off is the easier route for sure just did not want to mess with it next time take it off for sure.

I actually found the locking casters at home depot, 2 for less than 6 bucks as I needed to get the frame on the deck. As far as I could see they were an exact match actually mine maybe so old where you step on the locks were smooth on these they have some ridges for you foot to grab. They were a tight fit in the Weber insert piece probably should have put a dab of grease on them to make them slide easier but I got them in.

Brian

Back