My Pit Barrel Cooker

Bill Freiberger

TVWBB All-Star
I know this is a little off topic for our Weber forums but since I bought my Pit Barrel Cooker from an ad on this web site I figured it would be okay to post this.

I tested out my PBC last night with three racks of baby back ribs. The cooker was easy to use and my guests loved the ribs. I think I'm going to enjoy this new cooker.

Click on the pictures to enlarge.

Here's the cooker after I cleaned it up:

Here are the seasoned ribs with hooks ready to be hung on the PBC.

Here's the PBC with unlit charcoal and apple wood chunks. The chunks were the from the last of the bag so they're pretty small.

Here are the hot coals added to the unlit coals in the charcoal basket.

Here are the raw ribs hanging in the PBC.

And here they are after three hours.

At four hours, I took them off the cooker to glaze them. Then they went back on for another half hour.

Here are the ribs cut up and ready to serve.

Last edited:
Wow.. Looks awesome... I saw a pit barrel cooker at the wood shed where I got my cherry chunks yesterday.. Looked so tempting sitting there staring at me...

Wow.. Looks awesome... I saw a pit barrel cooker at the wood shed where I got my cherry chunks yesterday.. Looked so tempting sitting there staring at me...

I love the Woodshed. Whenever I'm in Orange County I try to stop by to pick up interesting wood varieties. I love the oak wine barrel chunks, but they haven't had any the last few times I was there.

Bill

Not trying to take anything away from you, but buy buying the weber hanging rack you'll do the same thing and have better temperature control.

Not trying to take anything away from you, but buy buying the weber hanging rack you'll do the same thing and have better temperature control.

The Amazon reviews of the product don't seem great. The PBC is very sturdy while the reviewers on Amazon seem to feel that the hanging rack is kind of flimsy. Also, the PBC is designed to work a certain way and I've found that it does so very well. With the hanging rack, you're using the WSM in a different way than it was intended and so more trial and error would be involved. And don't forget, it's always fun to get a new cooker.

Bill

Great looking Ribs Bill....and every piece of equipment in one's personal smoking arsenal serves a purpose for him/her. Enjoy the PBC!!!

Money shot

IMG_2234_zpsls1l7dxo.jpg

Back