My other hobby - what’s yours

Brother in law is a very serious WWll (North African theatre) model builder. He does some really amazing work! My dad did WWl airplanes which are lounging in a beer case in the basement, I had considered hanging them in corners of various rooms but, haven’t gotten around to that.
As for MY other pastimes, for almost 50 years I’ve played mandolin with my closest friends in Great Lakes Grass. Arthriris is slowing that down for me, it was an amazing amount of fun! The guys are still good friends. One is a cabinetmaker who has done some really fine work for me, the table for my “Overperformer“, the patio bar that I’ve shared here before as well as some inside projects and a deck for “pleasant weather” entertaining.
My guitar player was a binder at ”Heritage” guitar until it was sold and they walked a dozen “old hands” out the door. He does some very cool animal carvings, replica lure thing and so on. Great guy but, has suffered some COPD issues and now suffering some Alzheimer’s symptoms. Life is tough!
There is another beer case of N-gauge model railroad things in the basement too!

Mark, that is great looking!!!!!

I don't know if this counts as a hobby, but I have been doing them almost all my life, but recently discovered them on the computer. I have posted some of them on this site. I am talking about jigsaw puzzles. LOVE DOING THEM!!!!!!!

Mark, that is great looking!!!!!

I don't know if this counts as a hobby, but I have been doing them almost all my life, but recently discovered them on the computer. I have posted some of them on this site. I am talking about jigsaw puzzles. LOVE DOING THEM!!!!!!!
My wife is a puzzle person as well.

Some cool stuff. In 1954 on this day I got a baby sister. Well my parents were crazy busy what with 3.5 YO me and then her. So that Christmas I got an American Flyer train set. Pleased to say I still have both :D
BTW I have a ton of that little "N"? gauge stuff. I don't use anymore and don't know what to. Would love to unload it. I have a whole bunch of track, various locomotives and cars, and other accessories. Bought it all back in the day when this stuff was not made in China. Most all is US or European made. Don't think I want to get rid of the American Flyer stuff. Thinking about taking it all some place and getting it all restored. It all still works but just barely and as can well be imagined a young kind did not really know how to care for it all properly.
I am pretty sure it is N gauge stuff I have though. Tracks are maybe 5/8" wide. Anyway if anyone would like to make a deal with me on the stuff would love to hear from them.

Brewing, food fermentation and fly fishing. Haven't done much fishing the past couple of years. Even though I've been off the oxygen for over a year, still don't have the wind to walk any distance to the good fishing holes. Maybe next year.

The first two photos are from our first layout. We downsized to a much smaller home, the second two pictures are a switching layout I'm working on now.

View attachment 83655
View attachment 83658

View attachment 83656View attachment 83657
Rich, they’re amazing! There’s a place by me that I love to go to, it’s incredible!

Brewing, food fermentation and fly fishing. Haven't done much fishing the past couple of years. Even though I've been off the oxygen for over a year, still don't have the wind to walk any distance to the good fishing holes. Maybe next year.
Used to go Fly fishing every year in the sierras in northern calif. Since we moved to Arizona 22 years ago haven't been fishing once. Having a garage sale in the spring going to unload all my gear then, at 70 years old I don't think I would enjoy hiking around the lakes and streams at 9500 ft anymore with a heart condition and bad feet.

I used to fly fish too, have not wetted a line in over 20 years. Should sell my stuff too!
there is a ton of “stuff” around here that should be sold or given away, camera equipment that I no longer use, fishing tackle, cookbooks need to be pared down as well!

Back