My opus on tongs...

MikeLucky

TVWBB Pro
So, I have an obsession with tongs. Once I started seriously began cooking on charcoal I realized how vital tongs are to the grilling/smoking process. I have many different sets of tongs that I use for cooking. But, there was one very special set of tongs that were very special to me. They were a set of very heavy gauge stainless steel tongs that I received as a wedding gift from my first marriage in 2000. These tongs only got used for setting up the fire, moving charcoal and baskets around, moving grill grates. They never touched food and never got cleaned. They were hanging on my Performer at all times. They were so strong that I could lift the entire 22 inch grate with one hand using them. They never bent or showed any strain to handle anything and everything I ever put them through. Absolutely vital for setting up the grill and dealing with hot coals and hot metal.

tongs1.png

tongs2.png

I loved these tongs so much that I became concerned about having to replace them at some point. I went on a quest to find tongs of this quality and strength to replace these tongs, if it came to that. I bought a lot of different tongs, my friends. Some literally snapped in half while I tried to accomplish some of the feats normally handled with ease with my sturdy fire tongs, as I called them. I own many types of tongs now that are all fine for food and get utilized as such. But, no luck in finding tongs of similar strength and quality as my trusty fire tongs.

The unthinkable happened 4 weeks ago when after our move, the tongs were nowhere to be found. The Performer got moved with them in tow and I am pretty sure they fell off in the moving truck and weren't noticed by the movers. I got sick from covid the day after the move and after two weeks of being homebound, I went outside to use the Performer and noticed they were gone. I was heartbroken. 21 years I had those tongs and they were, up to this point, unreplaceable. So, my search intensified to find an acceptable replacement.

I have some good news to report. I have finally found the replacement tongs and I swear to y'all I almost cried tonight when I opened the Amazon package and held them for the first time. I know this sounds crazy and my wife thinks I'm a loon with all my different tongs, but this was a special moment for me today.

Newtongs.jpg

newtongs2.jpg

Set of the 9" and 12" tongs were only $13.94. Now I can leave the 12" set on the Performer and the 9" goes with the Jumbo Joe for travel and when we are in the camper. I can't tell you how much I would recommend these tongs. I hope you all get them and have as much happiness from them as I will. lol

Thanks for the tip. I'm not quite a fanatical about my tongs, but I do use them a lot. The ones I have occasionally seem a bit marginal with very heavy loads. Time to check out Babish's line.

I have given several sets of tongs as gifts to people who’s homes I help out with the grilling. I can’t stand awkward or flimsy tongs.
I ordered these just based on you almost crying. 😄

I had a pair I used for charcoal that came with one of those cheapo Walmart grilling tool sets. It sat out in on my deck for years and they final broke. I was heartbroken. I've got a pair now from Slow N Sear called a "cherry picker" Unfortunately, the new ones they make have plastic handles.

Those are pretty short for handling hot coals and the handles aren't insulated. I use these 22" with wood on the handles. No more hot hands and singed arm hair.
[ ]
I have similar tongs as well. But, at 22" they are way too long to pull entire grill grates with. Also, in my experience, most tongs with insulated inserts are lesser gauge, which I assume is because it's easier to cut/drill/notch for the inserts to be added. Again, I can use just about any thing for food. I just need these specific tongs for a few specific duties.

I'm not saying it's reasonable, but it's just how I roll. Lol

I really like the Vollrath tongs, I’ve had a couple of pairs of them for over twenty five years. As for handling coals! I am more primitive, I’ve got welding gloves for that and for moving a hot grate. I have other tongs but, I tend to reach with the 9”Vollrath first. They just fit my hand.

I had a pair I used for charcoal that came with one of those cheapo Walmart grilling tool sets. It sat out in on my deck for years and they final broke. I was heartbroken. I've got a pair now from Slow N Sear called a "cherry picker" Unfortunately, the new ones they make have plastic handles.

I've got two of those that I've had since the 1980's. I use them for charcoal. Got cheap tongs from Sams for food.

20220105_085645.jpg

I have similar tongs as well. But, at 22" they are way too long to pull entire grill grates with. Also, in my experience, most tongs with insulated inserts are lesser gauge, which I assume is because it's easier to cut/drill/notch for the inserts to be added. Again, I can use just about any thing for food. I just need these specific tongs for a few specific duties.

I'm not saying it's reasonable, but it's just how I roll. Lol
Yes, they are definitely too long for heavier lifting, but I use them for charcoal handling, especially when cooking over an open fire. I rarely find reason to remove a grate with a fire going, so they suit my purpose just fine.

Will those lift a 22 inch grate without bending?

I also have a set I don't use for food, only charcoal and grate moving and I might need to replace them.
We shall perform an experiment. I have a 24”. The tongs are quite solid with stiff shafts (pls don’t devolve this). I personally use insulated gloves to move grates as 22-24” round grates are awkward in size. But heck, I’m up for this challenge. I own a few sets of these tongs and fully enjoy using them. They bring me peace and happiness.

I own two sets of these, so I can always have a helper if needed, to move hot products. I can lift whole briskets, butts, grates and the coal chimney all while being fully heat protected. And they wash up with Dawn soap easily every time.

BBQ Gloves,Heat Resistant Silicone Grilling Gloves,Long Waterproof BBQ Kitchen Oven Mitts with Inner Cotton Layer for Barbecue, Cooking, Baking,Smoker(Red)
by Comsmart
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JZ6WQYK/?tag=tvwb-20

Last edited:
These are my coal tongs. They stay outside. I brought out the fork and flipper just to show the set. I think I've had these about 20 years.

The tong teeth are too sharp and pointy for food so I only use them for coal and grates.

20220105_083524.jpg20220105_083704.jpg

These are my coal tongs. They stay outside. I brought out the fork and flipper just to show the set. I think I've had these about 20 years.

The tong teeth are too sharp and pointy for food so I only use them for coal and grates.

View attachment 42868View attachment 42869
I have that Weber removable center grate. I’m confident the Winco tongs can handle your grate movement. Your grate appears thinner than the one on the E6 thus it’s lighter weight too (I’m guessing here).

Back