My new Genesis Silver C

WillyD

Hey everyone!

New member here - was looking to buy a new grill and move on from my ancient Char-Broil since I am moving and I didn't really want to take it with me. My brother in law has an old Genesis 900 that was his dad's and after using it and looking at it I just had to get my own!

Found this gem up in Phoenix and think I did okay - was able to get it for $80. Looks to be in really good shape and it has no rust in any of the common places. Everything works, including the ignition on both the side burner and the grill.

Eventually would like to restore it, but want to use it for the time being and enjoy it. Immediate plans are to clean it up really well, replace the flavorizer bars & the grates (flavorizer bars nearly cracked in half). I'm on fence about replacing the burners - I'm going to be removing them anyway to get this thing nice & clean. I'm the kind of guy that likes to get things going and not have to worry, so I very well may replace them.

Look forward to grilling on it and getting it in tip top shape! Happy to be apart of the forum!

Attachments

• IMG_1840.jpg
    IMG_1840.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_1843.jpg
    IMG_1843.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_1842.jpg
    IMG_1842.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_1841.jpg
    IMG_1841.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 80
Welcome, Willy! That's a nice looking grill you got yourself there! Nice to live in AZ without rust issues, huh? :) If you have questions on the cleanup/restore, the gang here will help you out! Stick around and share some food pics with us!

R

Congrats on your new addition. Looks to be in good shape.

I think it is a 2000 or 2001. You might be able to read the serial number off the tag. I'm not sure where the tag is on yours.

Its not a 2000 or 1 they had a few years had this one off. Its most likely a 2004 or 5 but no matter its a Silver C love the color have one myself love it. The serial most likely is under the control panel will check mine but Bruce and others probably know where it is without me looking.

You did well for 80 bucks.

Its not a 2000 or 1 they had a few years had this one off. Its most likely a 2004 or 5 but no matter its a Silver C love the color have one myself love it. The serial most likely is under the control panel will check mine but Bruce and others probably know where it is without me looking.

You did well for 80 bucks.
I'm guessing on the date.

I'm looking at the the frame having crossbars between the legs, holding the lower basket, and the Grey ends next to the table, vs black ends.

This weekend I picked up a Gold C that has the newer style frame without the lower bars between the legs. It also has the grey ends next to the table. It's a DU Serial number (2002)

here's a crappy picture. I had to dismantle it to get it in home so it's in pieces.

1633992812334.png

Last edited:
Yep, that's a winner. You might as well replace the burners tubes now. They are cheap enough on ebay or Amazon and it looks like you may even be rocking the original ones.

Wow! I did not expect all these responses so quickly, thank you to everyone for the feedback!

Glad to hear I did well on this one, I personally love the burgundy color and am blown away by the availability of parts. I was able to get the grates and the flavorizer bars at Home Depot, and am picking up the burners from Ace Hardware. Hope to have it completely cleaned and functional tonight as I am dying to grill some steaks on it.

Also ordered a King Kong cover for it to protect it and that should be here tomorrow. After buying this one and seeing how easily accessible parts are as well as how easy they are to work on, I'm finding myself looking for a second one to restore as a trial run. Think I've been bit by the weber bug!!

Lookout, WIlly! Weberitis can bite really hard. No vaccine so far, either! This coming from someone with a graveyard full of unfinished Weber projects :sneaky: . I try to tell my wife that compared to collecting classic cars, constantly getting more hunting & fishing gear, or owning a boat, she is really getting off easy. It hasn't worked so far...

After buying this one and seeing how easily accessible parts are as well as how easy they are to work on, I'm finding myself looking for a second one to restore as a trial run. Think I've been bit by the weber bug!!
Be careful... This pile has a genesis 3, a gold B or C, two silver bs and a hybrid genesis 1000 / silver B.

This spring, I only owned one gas grill, my 2000 silver B.

20211011_163643.jpg

Last edited:
The first two letters of the serial number would tell us :) I'm still learning... besides six months ago I thought I got my 2000 Silver B in 1999. my memory isn't what it used to be.

Also ordered a King Kong cover
If this is the one you ordered you will love it perfect fit same dimensions as the original Weber. I had a knockoff before I bought this and it was to tall had my neighbor hem it so like the Kong it was about half way up the wheel so you had airflow underneath.

Edit: Its on a lightning deal for a few more hours hopefully you got that.

So last night I gave the grill a quick exterior and interior cleaning, I could've spent a little more time on the interior but I'm happy with it! Also installed my new Weber burners, flavorizer bars and grates.

IMG_1854.jpg
IMG_1846.jpgIMG_1855.jpg

With the new burners and a decently clean grill - I fired it up and this thing started cranking! Got to 350 degrees in a matter of minutes. Unfortunately though, I started to smell propane and shut it off. Not sure where the smell is coming from, but I'm going to do the soapy water test when I get home today and see how everything looks.

Getting closer to grilling my first meal on this bad boy!

The first two letters of the serial number would tell us :) I'm still learning... besides six months ago I thought I got my 2000 Silver B in 1999. my memory isn't what it used to be.

Where could I find the serial number? I'd like to find out too!

If this is the one you ordered you will love it perfect fit same dimensions as the original Weber. I had a knockoff before I bought this and it was to tall had my neighbor hem it so like the Kong it was about half way up the wheel so you had airflow underneath.

Edit: Its on a lightning deal for a few more hours hopefully you got that.

That is the exact one I got and I was lucky enough to get it on the lightning deal - should be here today!

There's a good chance you just need a new regulator. They don't last forever and yours looks old. Nice job on the clean up by the way.

There's a good chance you just need a new regulator. They don't last forever and yours looks old. Nice job on the clean up by the way.

Thank you very much! I did get a chance to spray some soapy water on it and....

Do you think I need a new regulator? :ROFLMAO:

IMG_1859.jpg

Going to grab a new one tonight and should hopefully have this thing ready to roll!

Odds are you don't (need one). Just clean off the end and make sure it's tightened correctly. Also that appears like it may be simply where the acme nut is screwed in. Take the Acme nut out and reseal it with proper pipe dope

Back