My Jack Daniel's & Maple Syrup Brined Turkey w/Pics

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LarryR:
I've used Jack, Jim Beam and Makers Mark. All work fine.

A couple of other tips:
1. During the brining period I will stir the brine a couple of times by grabbing the turkey's legs and twisting back and forth. This prevents the maple syrup from settling on the bottom of my bucket.

2. I've started brining my bigger birds (16 lbs +)up to 36 hours. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Larry! I picked up a frosting bucket from a local grocery store that'll be perfect for brining the 14 lb bird I have. I'll be sure to stir the brine a bit.

I'm getting ready to do this recipe again for Thanksgiving. When I went to buy the maple syrup I couldn't believe how expensive it was. I think the maple syrup will cost more than the turkey itself. Any thoughts on a substitute?

Bill

"Real" Maple of course is best but it is VERY expensive. I've used artificially flavored syrup with good results too.

Just put one on about a half hour ago. What a great Sunday- Turkey in the smoker, firepit blazing, and a light snowfall coming down.

Edit-Took the bird off about an hour ago, and I can't believe how good it came out. Thank you Larry for sharing this!

Picture

Steve

Ooops... I have a 13.5 lb turkey, and I just put in 1 1/4 cups of salt for about 1.5 gallons of water. (I thought it said 1 cup per gallon).

Should I dump this out and start again?? Will that much salt be a problem?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Adam Bracey:
I decided that the excess salt was like not good, so I started from scratch. Can't wait to try this bird! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Good call, I was going to recommend starting over. Good luck, all these birds getting drunk tonight an non-for me, oh well, there's always Christmas.

Alright, I started my brine about 30 minutes ago! Finally it's under way!

14 lb Butterball (8% solutionized)
2 Gallons Water
2/3 Cup Morton Kosher
1 T McCormick Pickling Spice
2 C Pure Maple Syrup
1 C Jim Beam
1 orange quartered
1 frosting bucket from the local grocer for the brine

I read about people rigging up something to keep the bird submerged but mine is staying down with the brine in the cavity. Is that okay?

Bird in Brine

Doug,

I just finished getting mine into the apple brine from the cooking topics section. 21 lb bird and it's staying down too. I'll check in the morning to make sure it's still that way. But I think you're OK.

You're gonna love this maple bourbon bird. It's turkey candy. Larry should be bronzed for this recipe.
icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks Jim. I'll check it in the morning when I stir it up a bit.

I'm not concerned, but interested in trying this bird since it's "enhanced 8%". I cut the salt down to Larry's suggestion, so I'm confident it'll be fantastic.

Question...if I plan on making gravy (especially with the "juices" from the smoked turkey), how / where should I let the finished turkey rest? I figure the time between the turkey being done and then being served will be about 90-120 minutes.

I'm trying not to soften the skin by wrapping it in aluminum (of course I am assuming the skin will be crispy in the first place...big assumption).
icon_smile.gif

Adam,

I'm not sure I understand the question, but I'll give it a shot. The "juices" you use for gravy are the ones obtained during cooking, not during the rest (as I understand it). So, just be sure you've got a drip pan under that bird when it cooks and you'll be fine. Don't worry about foiling for during the rest - you don't need those juices.

Good luck!

Thanks. I was just making sure that it wasn't bad for the cooked bird to sit unfoiled for 90-120 minutes. I'm guessing it'll just need to be reheated somehow?

Does anyone stick their birds in the oven to keep warm before eating?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JimK:
Adam,

I'm not sure I understand the question, but I'll give it a shot. The "juices" you use for gravy are the ones obtained during cooking, not during the rest (as I understand it). So, just be sure you've got a drip pan under that bird when it cooks and you'll be fine. Don't worry about foiling for during the rest - you don't need those juices.

Good luck! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Larry for the recipe and help and also thank you Jim for answers as well!

Our 13.5lb turkey turned out perfectly and everyone LOVED it. THANKS!

Larry, the recipe turned out great here too. Next time I'm goig to seek out a fresh bird and I think that will be better. There were some salty pieces, not a bad thing though!
icon_biggrin.gif

It is a winner recipe, thanks again!

After less than perfect trial run two weeks ago, I basically used this method for T-day.

I did use a self basting bird, so I cut salt in half. But everything else pretty much the same including the icing of the breast.

I had a 16 lb self basting bird
I used two full lit chimneys of coal (one chimney was a Weber another was a smaller off brand) plus some unlit on the bottom before dumping the lit and a few unlit on top of the lit to get a full ring. This kept a consistent lid temp of 300-350 with all vents open but no need to mess with the door. Total time on the smoker was right at 4 hours.
I did brine and than let bird dry overnight in the refrigerator. However, I still didn't think the skin was great.
I pulled the bird when the breast was at about 162 and the thigh was about 170. Yes they were higher not sure why, if the ice worked, or I didn't measure in exactly the right spot.
Let bird sit uncovered for 25-30 minutes before cooking. When I first cut off a big thigh drum stick there was visible moisture (clear). The meat both light and dark were very, very good.
I used 3 fist sized chunks of apple wood and one smaller apple wood chunk. Many noted they could taste the hint of smoke and was good. There was also a subtle sweet flavor which I imagine was the syrup.

This was BY FAR the best overall turkey I have made or eaten!! Not really close. Sure I wish the skin was better, but since the meat had some nice flavor, that was not an issue in my book.

I got into watching football while cooking and didn't take any pictures. Agghh....but it was so good!!

Thanks to everyone!!

I'm trying it. No pickling spice so: Looked at this and then faked it from available materials. Brine smelled divine! Bird is soaking, butts on the smoker for snacks and ABTs.

Thanks to Larry!

Vernon, hope you like it, it's a fav. of mine. In-fact I'm getting ready to pull a 23 lb. bird out of the brine and pack it up to take to my SO's mother's house. It will air dry there then they'll cook it in the oven. Not sure how it will turn out without the smoke but at least it will be moist.

Happy Holidays!

Well I have the family addicted after just one bird! Sweet!

I have a slightly larger bird this time around, a 20 pounder. It's already in the brine but I have a question about the salt water content. On my 13 pound bird over Thanksgiving it took 2 gallons of salt water to submerge the turkey in my bucket. This time, the turkey wouldn't fit in the bucket so I improvised and put in a Ziploc XL Big Bag. I put the turkey in there and then in a cooler. The brine didn't cover it in there either, so I added another gallon of salt water (1/3 C Kosher Salt).

I'm guessing my brine is okay and won't be too salty by adding another 1 gallon of salt water to make sure the turkey is submerged.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Thanks for the break from expense report ****! I swear I'm NEVER going to wait until the end of the year to do this crap.

Anyway, if you're only using 1/3 cup of Kosher salt to a gallon of water you have no worries, that's a pretty weak brine. If my brain isn't to fried to do the conversion from table salt to Kosher 1/2 cup table = 3/4 Kosher. Sound right guys?

Back