My first vortex cook (wings)

All was well until a bit of grease caught, so we danced to remove the chicken lol.
View attachment 13255
These wings are really good!!

I am a retired old Fart in which I have the time to clean-out my grill or smoker after each cook. Over these many years using a Weber OTG, Weber Mastertouch, Weber Performer Deluxe, WSM 18" Classic; I have never had a grease fire.

Last edited:
I am a retired old Fart in which I have the time to clean-out my grill or smoker after each cook. Over these many years using a Weber OTG, Weber Mastertouch, Weber Performer Deluxe, WSM 18" Classic; I have never had a grease fire.
+1
I typically clean after every cook too, even on the genesis.
7B8C86D2-BBA5-4DEE-B5F6-7CF234A84440.jpeg

I lined the bowl with foil to make cleanup easier, but somehow it caught fire. :unsure:

+1
I typically clean after every cook too, even on the genesis.
I lined the bowl with foil to make cleanup easier, but somehow it caught fire. :unsure:

Beautiful looking cook! I have a new master touch and vortex waiting to broken in with a large bag of Costco wings that's in the freezer.

It looks like you foiled a ring onto the charcoal grate with the vortex sitting in the hole in the middle, like I've seen other do here on TVWBB. I'm curious, was the grease fire on the foiled grate, or underneath on the bottom of the bowl itself?

Beautiful looking cook! I have a new master touch and vortex waiting to broken in with a large bag of Costco wings that's in the freezer.

It looks like you foiled a ring onto the charcoal grate with the vortex sitting in the hole in the middle, like I've seen other do here on TVWBB. I'm curious, was the grease fire on the foiled grate, or underneath on the bottom of the bowl itself?
Thanks!
From what I could tell, the fire started at the bottom of the bowl.
I only foiled the sides up to the sweeper fins, I was more trying to prevent burnt chicken grease from making the bowl filthy.

Very nice cook, with many more to follow. You will become great friends with your vortex. Barb and I really like KFC (Kettle Fried Chicken). Great crunch and taste.
I always foil the bowl when cooking chicken, saves so much time on clean up.

Back