My First Smoke

I typically wrap at about 165F-ish or so. Having said that, one of my best pork butts I ever cooked was one I put on the WSM in the morning, then forgot about it until later that night. As in I forgot I had something cooking and suddenly remembered that night, zipped out to the smoker and checked it, and WOW was it good. That's also the greatness of the WSM, nearly foolproof, and set it and forget it. Sometimes literally.

I don’t wrap but, that’s because I’m lazy. Remember “It will be done when it’s finished”.
Don‘t worry, it will be fine. Next time you will know more and you can start at 07:00 and that will give time to wrap when they reach 190-195 and they can rest for several hours in foul and towels in a cooler. Then, you can fuss with sides and pull when guests get there.
Lesson learned, now, remembering the lesson is another story. 😉
Every cook is different, ”Man plans, God laughs!”
So true! I left them on wrapped until 205 IT and wow, pulled so easy juicy and tender. I give me a B+. Thanks for the help!!

2nd pork butt just now going in, 7.5 lbs.

Pork 1.jpg

Easy way to start the chimney. Thanks to somebody on here for the idea.

Chimney.jpg

I usually put a couple of chimney starters in the middle of the loaded coals.
I have had mine for a little over 2 years now, and had been weary of that method. I had always used a chimney to start a few, then pour those into a donut of unlit coals. I finally tried your method this weekend and saw absolutely no difference. I will test it again this weekend, but am probably a convert to that way. So much simpler. No moving around flaming chunks of carbon from one place to another.

I’m apparently REALLY lazy, I just grab the torch and shoot the thing in the door for abut three minutes,butting everything up and go to bed!

190 internal temp 2 hours ago, before I wrapped it. Now it's at 201 at 745 PM ET getting ready to take it off and cooler it for a spell.

20221007_145447.jpg

Back