My first Ribs (second smoke)

Eduardo

Hello, yesterday I attempted my second smoke (first one was a brined chicken, good results) with just a rack of baby back pork ribs. The ides was to try the 3-2-1 method, adapted to the size of the baby backs, so was more like a 2-2-1...

I want to get the feeling of this new WSM 18.5" smoker (long time kettle grill user), so I filled the charcoal ring (about 90% fill) with oak lump, and started 2/3 chimney of lit lump. While the chimney was doing its thing I took the membrane off the ribs and lightly rubbed it (olive oil plus some comercial rub). Put the lit lump in the ring with 3 chunks of hickory wood (about half a fist each) and let the ring open for about 5 minutes. I closed the central part of the WSM pour almost one gallon of water (previously boiled so it was real hot) and close the lid. After about 30 minutes the lid thermometer reached 230F so I placed the ribs inside...

The temperature went very steady at 250F for two hours and begun to rise til 270F at 2 1/2 hours. I opened the lid to take out the ribs and realized it had no water in the pan, so I added 1/2 gallon hot tap water (not boiled this time). Foiled the ribs with some pineapple juice and to the wsm again.

The temperature went real steady at 250F for 1 1/2 hours and I took the ribs out. They were real done so I didnt even put them again inside the cook.... I just painted the ribs lightly with some bbq sauce and let them rest for 15 minutes foiled and out of the cook.

The ribs were real good: soft and tender, falling off the bone, good flavour (not bittery smokey at all). Not crunchy though. Id say they were pretty good for the first time.

Meanwhile, I closed the lid of the WSM closed two vents about 1/3 cause the temperature was climbing again till 270, so I closed vents and pour more water.... my target was to see for how long could I take 250F ..... I was amazed: 8 hours after pouring the initial lit chimney of lump the tenmperature was at rocks steady 250F (just adding some water now and then and closing an opening vents in tiny increments). After those 8 hours the temperature dropa little to 240F and I had to extinguished it closing the vents and going to bed....

Coll ribs and cool control on the wsm at least (my first attempt with the chicken I got nice food but I didnt get the feeling I had control on the WSM).

I am happy.

good for you! The ribs wouldn't be 'crunchy' after taking them out of the foil. The bark does go soft is why there is the last "1" in your 2-2-1 so they can firm up again. The smaller the rib/the higher the heat/the quicker it'll cook "soft and tender, falling off the bone". But too high a heat is not good either (well, sometimes). The fat, etc doesn't get a chance to liquify/melt away and although the meat is cooked, it is somewhat firmer than "fall off the bone".

Future smokes will tell you how you prefer them--falling off the bone or a bit of "bite" to them (they'll have some "chew" to them--you'll know what I mean when you eat them).

Sort of like the old time politicians who say "I can't describe obscenity but I'll know it when I see it", you'll know what you like when you eat it.

Re: the water. Just put more in the first time. 1 gallon barely makes a little pond in the bowl. A lot of us use no water, just a terra cotta saucer set in the top of the bowl. You''ll find a method that you like.

Last edited:
Do yourself a favor and keep a log of your cooks so you can reference back to see any changes you may want to make. I know it's helped me.

Re: the water. Just put more in the first time. 1 gallon barely makes a little pond in the bowl. A lot of us use no water, just a terra cotta saucer set in the top of the bowl. You''ll find a method that you like.

Thanks for your opinion. In my previous attempt (chicken), I filled the water pan all the way up (like 3 gallons) and my problem was that I wasnt able to reach a high temp (I topped on 225F), so I decided to use less and hotter water. It was a bit of a mess to fill it once and again, but nothing terrible and I could get some control over my temps...)

Do yourself a favor and keep a log of your cooks so you can reference back to see any changes you may want to make. I know it's helped me.

I am indeed. Anyone knows about software (or mobile apps) that can make this thing easier? (I have installed the app Pit Pal BBQ and it works nice but not exactly as I would love) Suggestions?

Thx

On the site home page under cooking topics Chris has his cooking log in both PDF and Excell you can download.

I believe you will really love your WSM. I use WSM w/ BBQGURU and it acts like an electric smoker: supersteady

Yeah... I feel like I will really love this game. I do cook a lot since a long time ago (cooking inside as to say, electric ovens, induction etc) and I love cooking (from modern to classical recipes). In Spain we have too a huge tradition for cooking, and we enjoy the so called "mediterranean diet" (I really think of that term just as "seasonal product cooking", employ vegetables, fishes, fruits as much as you can whenever they are available in popular markets, plus olive oil, plus our beloved meat and thats it), so I think of bbq and smoking as just another technique to use and broaden the arsenal of flavours... it´s surprising to me how in Spain there is a lot of tradition of grill and open rapid fire cooking (asados), but there is almost zero tradition of bbq and low&slow cooking and smoking (it surprises me mostlu because i tend to associate bbq with meeting friends, and here we do have a lot of sunny days... so its rare that we dont get more bbq partys...)

I guess smoking was never used too much here as a preservative technique because we used a lot of brines and salt to cure food, but who knows.

Anyway, I enjoy cooking, I am enjoying ny wsm so far but I dont understand why the use of an automatic controller.... I mean, part of the fun to me is the "surprise factor" that makes this way of cooking (outside, charcoal, variables temps due to variables climatic conditions and so on) so "hazarous"... if we employ high tech, nothing difers from inside conventiomnal ovens but the flavour (great thing for sure)...

Excuse my divagations...

Back