My first cook on the WSM - Brisket

Tyson

TVWBB Super Fan
This will be my first cook on my 18.5 WSM, http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?48238-Early-Birthday-gift-to-myself-18-5-WSM, I wanted to do a full packer. Long story short I came home with a 5lb "point cut" brisket. I didn't realize it was cut into two separate pieces until I took it out of the package. Oh well. I'll just have to manage (live and learn). I will start smoking this tomorrow and monitor while watching football, beer, etc... More pictures will follow.

The plan is to use water in the pan, maintain 225* as much as possible, place both pieces on the top rack, foil around 160*, and mesquite or oak for smoke.

What I bought.
20140118_211442.jpg

20140118_211448.jpg

Here it is in two separate pieces.
20140118_211855.jpg

I went ahead and seasoned it (them) with salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, chipotle chili pepper, and paprika. Will sit in the fridge overnight.
20140118_212817.jpg

Here is the recipe that came with the meat. I may try this BBQ sauce.
95e8b5c9-467f-42d0-9a17-09575bed85e2.jpg

I used mesquite chips layered throughout the coals. Didn't have any chunks or I would have used them.
20140119_113913.jpg

Meat in the WSM right before noon CST. I thought about tying them together like some suggested, but didn't. I foiled the smaller piece early.
20140119_115701.jpg

Smokin! It was fairly easy to maintain 225-240*. It did get a little hot after I foiled, around 280*, so I closed the bottom vents a little more. Too much oxygen got in there with the lid off!
20140119_120152.jpg

I just took the mean off, let cool a little and placed in a cooler to stay warm. Took less than 4 hours. Not too surprising considering the size of the meats. I'll post more pictures when it's time to eat.

Update:
The brisket had great smoky flavor, like you would expect. Not perfect, but I will take from this experience and make a few changes. I would like a little more flavor in the bark. The smaller piece tasted just like Rudy's extra lean brisket. While the large section was a little too fatty.

While the smoke ring was not all that impressive, I wouldn't want anymore smoke flavor. A little mesquite does go a long way.
a2a9cf04-c70f-42a2-98be-59709da9eedf.jpg

Your Plate. We did baked beans and camp fire potatoes.
20140119_181328.jpg

Thanks for looking and for all the advice found on the forum. Made it a lot easier.

~Tyson

Last edited:
Nice piece of beef Tyson.
You may not need bbq sauce after you take your first bite of the brisket. :)

Good luck. Is that second piece as thin as it looks in th pic? Maybe you can tie the two pieces together to get 1 thicker piece.

Just one more reason to miss Texas: I can't get point cut alone here - only flat and packer. I like the directions and sauce recipe on the package. I may try that. Thx for posting it!

Good luck. Is that second piece as thin as it looks in th pic? Maybe you can tie the two pieces together to get 1 thicker piece.

I was going to say the same thing....otherwise that thin end might get toasted. Good thinking , robert.:D
And good luck with that brisket , Ty.

I've tried Hickory and Mesquite with brisket and liked them both. I haven't tried oak, but have read that oak goes a long way and that it's easy to over do it with oak and to not use more than a couple pieces. The Mesquite also goes a long way and doesn't take much for smoking. Hickory is pretty safe and user friendly for smoking. Good luck with your brisket.

Back