My BIGGEST BBQ ever...

pj lietz

TVWBB Fan
Hey all,

Welcome to my second cook log on the forum. I’m doing the 2nd annual Staff appreciation BBQ for my store. By nature we are all a bunch of computer geeks, but we love good food! I’m not sure how many people will be showing, but I’m cooking for an army. I’ll keep this post updated through out the cook.

I’ll be doing 2 12lbs briskets, 8 racks of ribs, 2 boneless legs of lamb, about 6lbs of chicken wings, a huge batch of smoked beans, roasted potatoes, and a Greek salad. Like I said enough to feed an army, lol…

Here is the meat all laid out ready to be rubbed and prepped,

SG1L5798.jpg

I thought I’d have some trimming to do on the Brisket, put nope my butcher rocks and have it done perfectly for me! So it’s straight to rub!

SG1L5803.jpg

SG1L5804.jpg

I was going to wait a few hours before getting the smoker ready, but decided to start early. It’s a good thing I did, I guess no one cleaned it after my last cook and there was a bunch of mold in there ? No worries though, the wife and kids are gone on a trip, so the whole thing went in the bath tub for a scrub, lol… Sorry no pic’s but it did make one heck of a mess. After everything was washed off I fired up the smoker and the grill to dry everything off. Then the brisket’s went on!

SG1L5805.jpg

That’s about it for now; the smoker is coming up to temp as we speak. See ya at the next update!

ummm... pj, hell00000... I'm a part of your staff, remember??!!
icon_biggrin.gif

Well, you certainly know how to feed the troops mr. lietz! Very nice work SO FAR, i will be 1 of MANY following this cook.
Good luck with no hitches!

Sure Jim, I remember, your from our Wisconsin branch. Come on up for the BBQ, it can't be more then a days drive, if you start now you should make it just in time
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">the wife and kids are gone on a trip, so the whole thing went in the bath tub for a scrub </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If I know MY wife, it's a good thing they were gone! ;-)

Good morning everyone!

@ Charles, I hear ya man, I'd be dead if she saw the mess I made, lol.

@ Blake, nothing special for the rub, Paprika for color, Chili powder, Cayanne, little bit of salt and B Sugar, pepper and garlic.

The smoker perfomed great last night, held steady at about 215 dome temp and 240ish grate temp. After about 11 hours I had to top up the water, give the lump and mix and tossed some freash lump on.

Meat temp is sitting at 175 right now.

Here's what they look like now,

SG1L5807.jpg

SG1L5809.jpg

I'm off to prep some more, see ya at the next update!

Thanks Wolgast.

Time for the next update,

The brisket is off, wrapped and sitting very cozy in my cooler. They looked very juciy and was very tender when I took them off.

SG1L5810.jpg

SG1L5811.jpg

I got the beans made the ribs rubbed and both are now on the smoker for about 5 hours.

SG1L5812.jpg

MMM ribs...

SG1L5813.jpg

SG1L5814.jpg

SG1L5817.jpg

Now I'm going to start the paste/rub for the 2 legs of lamb, then it's on to the potatoes. Last will be the chicken wings. Then it's eat time!

See ya at the next update!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Ohh my..

Looks perfect,When i se all this meat in 1 smoker it almost feels like my wsm is still a virgin

think i'd pass out seeing all that goodness!
lotsa hard work you're putting into this cook, pj, hope everything turns out great, i'm sure it will!

Impressive! I'm sure as Jim says lots of work, but I bet you're having a great time! I forsee lots of smiling faces in a future post getting to dive into all that good Q!

Thanks everyone, ya it was a lot of work, but it was fun and well worth it. As the night went on I didn't have much time for pic's but I did grab a few more, no plated pics or anything though.

Here is the lamb going on with the potoates under to catch all that yummy juice.

SG1L5818.jpg

The brisket was to die for, so tender and juicy almost falling apart, perfect if I say so my self!

SG1L5819.jpg

Every one loved the ribs to, 6 racks we gone in just a few miniuts lol. They were done to perfection, here they are just before I took them off,

SG1L5821.jpg

This is about the time I forgot about the camera and so ends the picture log.

Man what a good time! Unit next time all, have fun Q'ing
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Back