My 1st Pork Butt Attempt

JesseG

TVWBB Member
I tried my attempt at pork butt this past weekend it came out good but definitely would have changed some things. First off my screw up was starting this at midnight Friday night going into Saturday morning knowing that I had a Softball tournament that same Saturday. I have the DigiQ DX2 so I figured I would be ok. Plan was to come home in between games to check on the food. This was working Great for the first few games then we went on a run where we had to play with only 1 hour gaps so no time to come back home. I went 3-4 hours without checking it at one point and by the time I got home the fire was completely out due to no charcoal in the pan, Oops before the 3-4 hour gap my meat temp was 181, after the gap and no fire the meat temp dropped to 170. Idk how long the meat was without fire but I got home and was upset at myself,fired her back up and let it cook some more and back to the tournament I went. By that time my wife was home, I told her to monitor the probes and to pull the butts off and wrap it for me when it hit 195. This was more hassle than it should have been, lesson learned was do not smoke when I won't be able to monitor the meat regularly. Either way the butt came out good, I smoked 2 because I bought the 2 pack at SAMs, 1 had Chris Lilly's rub recipe, the other had Obie cues sweet pork rub. I topped it of with some famous Dave's bbq sauce which I love. They also have a XXX Spicy version that I drizzled on and it gave it an AWESOME kick, I highly recommend it. Anyway sorry for the long story here are the pics.

Jesse that pulled pork looks great. Bark is excellent! Softball in the winter? I remember those with a foot of snow on the ground, fun times. Softball was orange so you could see it. Go Cowboys!

Pulled pork looks outstanding!!!! Couldn't you have just refilled the smoker up with charcoal when you woke up? I have confidence that my digiQ will work flawlessly when I use it. The only problems I have had were my fault, I didn't put the lid on right and my temps spiked. Other than that I have had rock solid temps.

Wow....you had a lot going on there and still made a great pulled pork. It is much more enjoyable when you can put the butt on at night and then just kick around the next day enjoying the smell coming from the smoker. For a first cook you nailed it, maybe an inside the park homerun, considering all of the running you had to do. Welcome to the site!

Jesse that pulled pork looks great. Bark is excellent! Softball in the winter? I remember those with a foot of snow on the ground, fun times. Softball was orange so you could see it. Go Cowboys!

Yes sir, it was a 250 tournament unlimited homeruns, gotta love it. No snow but it was about 40 degrees out.

Jesse the bark looks fantastic, does that gap in your door cause you any temp issues?

Unfortunately I wasn't there to see if it caused any issues since I was gone most of the day :( but I don't think it did, I cooked some ribs also and no issues with temps.

Pulled pork looks outstanding!!!! Couldn't you have just refilled the smoker up with charcoal when you woke up? I have confidence that my digiQ will work flawlessly when I use it. The only problems I have had were my fault, I didn't put the lid on right and my temps spiked. Other than that I have had rock solid temps.

Yeah I refilled at 7am before I left but didn't fully load it so that was my fault there one of the things I would change but it came out great still. And yes the digiQ is extremely reliable, great investment.

Thanks everyone for the comments, I'm eating some leftovers as we speak. Next investment is a food saver there is a ton of meat in my fridge that's not gonna last, I only have 3 people in my household we cannot eat all of this :p

Back