Mushroom burgers

Brad Olson

TVWBB Diamond Member
A few weeks ago I found a semi-forgotten 1-pound piece of chuck in the freezer, and since it was looking a little tired I decided to grind it for mushroom burgers.

Step 1: Cook and caramelize the mushrooms in butter. NEVER oil, ALWAYS butter! ;)

MushroomBurgers20201202_2.jpg

Step 2: Cube and season the beef, then mix in the cooled mushrooms including the butter left in the pan. I used Lawry's Seasoned Salt, pepper, oregano and a little splash of olive oil, and the mix went into the fridge to marinate for a good 24 hours.

MushroomBurgers20201202_3.jpg

Step 3: Run the beef and msuhrooms through the grinder together in a single pass.

MushroomBurgers20201202_4.jpg

Step 4: Have a patty party! I pack them fairly tightly because they do have a tendency to be a little loose, and can sometimes break on the grill.

MushroomBurgers20201202_5.jpg

Step 5: Grill to the desired doneness and top with cheese if desired (I used Colby). They picked up a little soot/ash but it wasn't noticeable...oh well, sometimes things happen. And as you can see, one of the burgers did come apart a little before I added the cheese.

MushroomBurgers20201202_6.jpg

Step 6: Stuff face.

MushroomBurgers20201202_7.jpg

The advance salting and the mushrooms help keep the burger moist even when thoroughly cooked, and the mushrooms add some good flavor (which is why cooked are better than raw here). I've done this a few times (a posted one of them here some time ago) and have found that a 2:1 ratio of beef to cooked mushrooms works pretty good for me; I can really taste them and the burgers aren't overly prone to crumbling on the grill. Plus it's a great way to extend a smaller amount of meat with a fairly healthy addition!

Enjoying the Brad-a-Palooza today! :) I think I need to make this one.....never occurred to me to grind things like mushrooms into the burger......I'm thinking mushrooms and jalapeños for me. :) Thanks for sharing, Brad!

R

I'd glad fully pay you Thursday for a burger today, great idea with the mushrooms Brad.
Step 6: Stuff face. <<< Lol

Great idea Brad, going to defiantly try that method and Barbs all over it. But Whit and Abby won't get any as mushrooms are deadly for dogs. But of course they will be taken care of. :giggle:

Back