Most Of My WSM Went On Vacation

Phil Perrin

TVWBB Hall of Fame
So, we had to cancel the big 90th birthday party for my dad. :(
But my great-niece just graduated AND turned 18, so we decided to is it and go to Maine for vacation.
The first night, lobstah rolls, of course!

863A30C7-9C3B-4607-A89F-C7CC0F4FE94C.jpegThat, of course, was the first of many!
There was a big party for her on her actual birthday, Saturday, with burgers and dogs and her grandfather brought lots of yummy Philippine food!
Sunday morning, I broke out my smoker!
Unfortunately, I forget the cooking grates!:mad:
Luckily, we had plenty of HD foil and I made a couple “logs” of HD foil and cooked the 2 small butts in a pan right in the foiled water pan! I use a terra cotta disc instead of water, so it worked out great!

It worked out fine!
I put them on about 7AM and they came off at 3, nice and tender!
Into another foil pan and into the cooler.
I the put a pan of beans in and let them get right!2EF182E1-F773-47FA-A04B-43067181999B.jpegAA8D258C-13E0-49BA-A103-7E8406868613.jpeg
Her grandfather also brought corn and more LOBSTAH!!!
3C42490E-FEF8-4FDB-B967-9621FFFBAB37.jpegEB936C1B-6022-422E-8DF0-D7255666219D.jpeg
And, the feast!F00046BF-C543-4D2D-8D09-C77FD8C9001E.jpeg
Her grandfather was also amazed that the WSM still had hot coals after 12 hours!
I tried to explain it to him, but he is severely hard of hearing and refuses to get hearing aids!
AA05DAF2-0B99-42E0-B1EC-009CC939D0C7.jpeg
Early this morning, we got everything packed up and are a part of the way home.
And before anyone questions, yes, we stayed socially distant as much as possible.
Well, got a long drive ahead of me tomorrow and a shorter one on Wednesday.
Thanks for looking everybody!

Last edited:
Wow! What a feast. Great improvisation with the foil pan right in the water pan. I never would've thought of that.

I'm just plain drooling here, Phil. Looks like some good eatin'.

I have to ask: how do you like to cook your lobster? Boiled? Steamed? Baked?

When I was a kid we took a family trip to Maine, we brought back a GIANT cooler full of lobster! I think there were forty or more. When we got home there was a BIG party! I think I was twelve or so, went to the old L.L. Bean store and a old time real hardware store where my Dad bought a 10” old hickory chefs knife, which I use to this day! It’s my “Go To” knife! That trip was fifty years ago, gee now I feel old. I miss my father.

Sounds like a good time was had by all. Nice job of getting those two butts cooked.
When I was a kid we took a family trip to Maine, we brought back a GIANT cooler full of lobster! I think there were forty or more. When we got home there was a BIG party! I think I was twelve or so, went to the old L.L. Bean store and a old time real hardware store where my Dad bought a 10” old hickory chefs knife, which I use to this day! It’s my “Go To” knife! That trip was fifty years ago, gee now I feel old. I miss my father.
I still have a lot of my Dads old hand tools, brings back lots of memories every time I use one of them.

Phil, I grew up about 15 minutes from the Maine border. You just made me homesick. :(

Looks fantastic. Hope you had a wonderful trip! That's a haul...

I'm just plain drooling here, Phil. Looks like some good eatin'.

I have to ask: how do you like to cook your lobster? Boiled? Steamed? Baked?
Usually steamed. We had 5 or 6 lobster rolls in the 3 and a half days we were there!

Phil, I grew up about 15 minutes from the Maine border. You just made me homesick. :(

Looks fantastic. Hope you had a wonderful trip! That's a haul...

I grew up about 20 minutes outside of Portland in a small college town.
My brother, 2 nephews and one of my nieces still live there.
We camped outside of her house near Sebago Lake.

Back