More about WSM silicone grommets for 2014

Interestingly enough, I had a conversation with one of the Swedish Weber representatives today. He informed me that there would be no changes, and that he had no idea regarding any grommets or new holes, and that this was unneeded since they had a thermometer in the lid that was accurate.

That surely looks like Maverick probes could fit right?

No problem.

IMG_20130831_152900_799_zps852c53df.jpg

I would agree with what Chris said. I called and explained that online showed the new version before I ordered, and I explained I would like the new one. The 2014 DOES NOT have lower grate handles.

I have been on the phone & email with Weber, Amazon & Home Depot for 3 days now trying to get confirmation about being able to order a 2014 model with the silicone grommet. Their answers have been all over the board from it doesn't exist to you can specify a 2014 if you speak to the right person to check back in late October. Very frustrating as I'm ready to order one NOW but all I can do is hurry up & wait until I can buy it local to see what I'm getting. Any advice???

I feel your pain Pat.

The distributor of Weber for HD claims there are no changes to the 18 or 22 inch but does confirm the mini being available soon.

HD does have a 90 day return policy for Weber. Worst case you could buy it and hope you get the 2014, if not return it. Amazon has a fairly lax return policy as well.

If you don't feel like dealing with the hassle then possibly wait until closer to January.

Weber told me most people were selling through old inventory and that some places may have the new model in stock. However, they seem to be only able to clarify who has the 2014 if it is a local mom and pop retail shop.

Just curious if anyone has an update on the 2014 18.5" model with grommet. I'm looking to pick one up at the end of October and of course would like the 2014 model with the grommet. Since its been a few weeks, not sure if there are any updates? BTW I planned on purchasing mine through Amazon, hopefully they move through back stock pretty quickly.

The new models come out officially on October 1. I don't know how long it will take for them to show up at Amazon or other retailers.

I am probably speaking out of turn here, but I do NOT see what all of the fuss is about the silicone grommet. I MUCH prefer cutting a slot in the top of the center section. It is much easier to handle the Maverick cables with the slot. It took me all of two minutes to cut the slot in my 18.5" WSM. Tomorrow, I'll cut the slot in my new Mini.

FWIW
Dale53:wsm:

Yeah Robert, I think I agree with you - even though I've not done the slot mod *yet*. Still working up the courage. :) The new silicone grommet looks pretty cool though - and has to be more forgiving than using the rigid eyelet / grommets like I've got now. But I still think it'll be the same 'thread the wire hassle', especially if cooking on two racks.

I'm strongly leaning towards doing the slot mod, unless reviews on the new grommet sway me the other way...

Yeah Robert, I think I agree with you - even though I've not done the slot mod *yet*. Still working up the courage. :) The new silicone grommet looks pretty cool though - and has to be more forgiving than using the rigid eyelet / grommets like I've got now. But I still think it'll be the same 'thread the wire hassle', especially if cooking on two racks.

I'm strongly leaning towards doing the slot mod, unless reviews on the new grommet sway me the other way...

the slot mod IS the way to go, with an angle grinder its like a 15 min job IF you cover the inside with engine block paint. If not, 2min tops. And from personal experience angle grinder >>>>>>>>> dremel but wear eye protection it does get Sparky.

I did my slot with a simple round file. It took longer than with power but not hard to do plus I was confident it would not slip and mess anything up. I had a pass through hole first where one of the shelf mounting screws were but the slot is so much easier to use during a cook. I have never looked back.

Back