More about WSM silicone grommets for 2014

Good news! I just called weber and ordered a grommet. Less than 12$ shipped. I just said I needed to order part #85037.

I called Weber and ended up payin $112 for the ring and grommet. I don't feel like modding handles and grommets. It should have been roughly $200 but I complained about the fact I just ordered my 22.5 and received the 2013 version.

At first I was going to return it to HD and order another, but Weber stated there was no way to figure out which model would ship. I just said screw it and paid the money. I would probably waste more time trying to find the 2014. Not something I would normally do, but oh we'll wasted some money.

Maybe I can sell my two week old ring to someone:)

I called Weber and ended up payin $112 for the ring and grommet. I don't feel like modding handles and grommets. It should have been roughly $200 but I complained about the fact I just ordered my 22.5 and received the 2013 version.

At first I was going to return it to HD and order another, but Weber stated there was no way to figure out which model would ship. I just said screw it and paid the money. I would probably waste more time trying to find the 2014. Not something I would normally do, but oh we'll wasted some money.

Maybe I can sell my two week old ring to someone:)

Or, maybe you can stack them and make a 8 ft. tall WSM :D

Or, maybe you can stack them and make a 8 ft. tall WSM :D

Funny,

That's the first thing I did when mine arrived.

IMG_20130820_183818_463_zps6656f9da.jpg

Here is an email reply I got from Weber CS. Pretty nice to see quick customer service as I sent the email this morning.

Thanks for your interest in Weber Products! Model Number 731001 will have that grommet you're speaking of.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Ray

Official position from Weber is that drilling a hole into your WSM voids the warranty on that part. Also, that grommets will not be sold separately through Weber Customer Service. YMMV, as others have noted in this thread.

411761404_o.jpg

I think the image is legit, those are after market stackers which are not as heavy as Weber stuff. However once you put in food it becomes a whole nuther thing 8)

Hi folks...just joined the forum today...just received the wsm 18.5 and is still in the box...I have been reading re thermometers, feeding cables into the cooking area etc...Jordan, did you receive your wsm and did it have the hole (#12 on the schematic) and the handles on the lower grate? I just checked mine and it is the old, no hole/no handles.

I think I will return the unit to HD but how do I insist on getting the newest mdl?...Maybe I'll give them a call or discuss with the HD folks.

Anyway, this appears to be a very valuable forum...already I have learned something.

Thanks...

Hi Dan, and welcome!

My guess is that retailers will want to sell old inventory before new, so in order to get the 2014 WSM, you'll need to purchase from a retailer with a high turnover of inventory. Not sure who that would be in Canada.

I would agree with what Chris said. I called and explained that online showed the new version before I ordered, and I explained I would like the new one. The 2014 DOES NOT have lower grate handles.

Glad you stated it doesn't have handles as I don't feel so bad buying the parts at a great deal. The Weber distributor for Home Depot claims nothing changed on the 18 and 22.5 but does confirm they will have the 14.5 possibly next year.

Since we know the changes did occur on the other two models we know he is wrong in regards to the grommet addition.

A supervisor at Weber did tell me some retailers have the 2014 model, some do not depending on if they have old inventory left. He did inform me of a local dealer who had it so Weber may be able to tell you if a local dealer has the new version or not.

We have a local dealer that is not only not selling new models but is in fact selling models that are prior to the existing ones. Talk about stale inventory.

Back