Moldy WSM solution

MikeLucky

TVWBB Pro
So, we just recently moved from OKC to South Georgia. The movers were really good with all my Weber grills. They had my WSM completely wrapped in plastic and tape, which was great for moving it. Unfortunately I didn't immediately think about the fact that it couldn't air out and I didn't immediately unwrap it with all the other things we had going on with the move. I finally unwrapped it and of course it was moldy all up and down the unit.

But, today I decided to try a new method of removal. My Oklahoma Joe's torch
Screenshot_20221218-160138-927.png

IMG_20221218_155412608_HDR.jpg

Yeah, mold can happen.

I had it once on the BGE and once on the Genesis Silver B. Those are a bit easier to clean as they are built to get hot.

How hot can the WSM run with all the vents open? It shouldn't take a lot to kill the mold, but the torch will certainly incinerate it.

Yeah, mold can happen.

I had it once on the BGE and once on the Genesis Silver B. Those are a bit easier to clean as they are built to get hot.

How hot can the WSM run with all the vents open? It shouldn't take a lot to kill the mold, but the torch will certainly incinerate it.
Last time I did a charcoal burn for mold I think I got it to 300-350ish, tops. This method is far superior. Lol. I hit everything multiple times with the torch then scraped the grates and vortex plate with a wire brush. Whole thing took maybe 30 minutes.

Sorta on topic. Since I started turning my middle section over (as in up side down) I have zero problems with mold.
I keep it uncovered and somewhat sheltered under my grill gazebo but it still gets wet.
That's a tip I learned from this board.:wsm:

Sorta on topic. Since I started turning my middle section over (as in up side down) I have zero problems with mold.
I keep it uncovered and somewhat sheltered under my grill gazebo but it still gets wet.
I leave my vents open just a tad usually and don't have any issue with mold. But, because it was wrapped for the move it molded.

Blow torch + wire brush + elbow grease + burn out.
Just done it on the B14, came up grate. Currently doing a final burn out ready for the Xmas Eve 7lb rolled pork shoulder.

Timothy......Why do you turn the middle section upside down?

Interesting. A WSM only gets up to about 350?

I just this summer did a burn out of all my grills that have seen use, my Spirit, Smokefire, GB 26, Summit Charcoal, got everything hot hot hot and burned everything off. 500+

Back