Mold? Ok to cook with?

Andy Berner

Mold? Moisture build up? Ok to cook with?

Got the wsm out today to do some chicken. It has been used since fall. The kettle and Genesis do not look like that but have used both this winter. Looks like moisture build up. Doesn't look like mold but would rather be safe than sorry. Anyone know?

Not sure why photos aren't showing

EPmLp7

EXwEpY

Last edited:
Got the wsm out today to do some chicken. It has been used since fall. The kettle and Genesis do not look like that but have used both this winter. Looks like moisture build up. Doesn't look like mold but would rather be safe than sorry. Anyone know?

Not sure why photos aren't showing

EPmLp7

EXwEpY

Ewwww, burn that ish out! lol

Just load it up and burn whatever that is off?

White mold or fuzz, brush it off. Green mold, burn it off and if it's black mold, sanitize it.

Tim

I've had some mold on mine before.

Just burn it as hot as you can get it which will kill the mold. Then scrape it off and you should be good.

Leave the bottom vent open to let air circulate while it's not in use

Mine was moldy this spring too, I put the grates in the gas grill, scrubbed WSM out with nylon wire brush, cleaned bowl, cleaned grates after heated on gas grill, put everything back and loaded a chimney to burn it out and dry it.
Maybe vents open next year during storage? I had it stored, vents closed, cover on. Never had mold before, gross!

I was told you always leave vents open as well as leave the door cracked open when not in use. I guess my biggest concern would be spiders getting in...*smash*smash*smash*!!!

Mine was white and I found once when I left some water in for a long time.
That time I just throw in 2-3 regular lit chimneys and let it go until burnt down. Stop.

Back