Messed Up Pizza Stone Question

Mary Teal

TVWBB Super Fan
Okay, so here's the deal. I have a Camp Chef Italia Pizza Oven that when being used, sits upon a Camp Chef Expedition camp stove. Tonight was the first time I used it. The first pizza I made turned out heavenly, beautiful crust, toppings cooked and bubbling, just plain beautiful for my first time, I was in complete awe of this pizza oven.
So I go to build another pizza, I put together this gorgeous pizza, and discover I forgot to build it on the peel!
To make a long story short, with help from my bench knife, I was able to slide the pizza onto the peel, but when I went to put the pizza in the oven, all hell broke loose, and the back part of pizza rolled under itself, and the more I tried to fix it, the worse it got!
Once I saw the mess, I figured it a lost cause and shut down the heat. I waited till the stone was cool and started scraping the remains of the pizza out with my bench knife, and I got 98% of it all out.
My question is, can I turn back on the heat and burn the rest of it out, or should I take the oven apart, (the stone is huge and it's held in by brackets and screws) and wash it?
I still can't believe I did that! And I bet after cleaning up this mess, I won't do it again!

Hi Mary - I agree with Dwain. I've had a few accidents with my stone and you end up with rock solid sauce / cheese burned onto the stone. I treat it just like the cleaning cycle on our oven. Just jack up the heat and it should burn off or at least become 'scrape-able'.

Thank You, Dwain and Jim for the advice! What a mess it is! I got a better look at it this morning, to see if I could take the oven apart, to not only get the stone out, (just eye balling it, it looks to be 12x24 stone) no way, it'll fit in my sink to wash!
And it doesn't seem to be a way to take the arched shroud off either, except by un-screwing 16 screws, 8 on each side, and only God knows if it'll go back together if I take it all apart! What was Camp Chef thinking, when they built this beautiful oven? Like I said up above, the first pizza turned out beautiful, both toppings and crust cooked in sync, and the underside was a beautiful golden crisp like a freshly baked loaf of bread. I should have stopped with that one! But noooo, had to try to repeat it, like I was some top pizza chef! Karma showed me otherwise!

Just an quick update! I managed to take off the small brackets and screws that were holding the huge stone in place.
Carefully took out the stone, and placed it on a folded beach towel and sit it on my big chest freezer top to clean. I couldn't heat the stone again in the oven, because in my haste to shut the stove burners off, I forgot to turn the propane bottle off first, instead, just shut the stove off! (I was batting a thousand last night!)
Anyway, I melted the cheese a bit where I could scrape it and the stuck on sauce and cheese with a chefs blow torch used for creme brulee worked terrific, and the stone cleaned up wonderfully with just water and my bench knife!
When I installed the stone again, I turned it upside down and reattached the brackets and it looks like new again!
Again, Thank you for your help!

When I get cheese on my stone I wait for it to completely cool, then I use fine sand paper to sand it off.

Bob, bench knife link # 1. It's a Graham Kerr stainless one, I've had it about 25 years. It's one of the best gadgets anyone could own!

Bob, bench knife link # 1. It's a Graham Kerr stainless one, I've had it about 25 years. It's one of the best gadgets anyone could own!

That's a name I haven't heard in years. We loved his cooking show. I have a new version of that knife and it works well.

Bob, both of us are showing our age! LOL! The Galloping Gourmet was one of my favorite shows to watch after school for years, and so was Julia Child! That's probably why I like the Food network so much, as well as HGTV now a days.

Back