Message to the lurkers... *****

Lurkers, don't feel intimidated of jumping in here...I think this Board is a very special place, and IMO there are several reasons why :

First, I think Chris deserves a lot of credit for running a "tight ship"...he posts the rules, and enforces them, all the while continuing to update the front page articles and adding new features as appropriate (the Photo Gallery, for instance). Heck, I watched the youtube on cutting a tri-tip yesterday, 'cause I always wondered what I was doing wrong
icon_smile.gif
Come to think of it, before this Board, I didn't even know what a "tri-tip" was !

Second, I think the people here are a "different" breed...people who just enjoy discussing smoking stuff are interesting to read, and you can just skip those forums that don't interest you... As others have noted, both the youngsters and "old-timers" alike are quick to share their experiences and advice. Yeah, we sometimes see raging debates about lump vs briq, or K vs. <insert favorite here>, but it's pretty much left up to the user to work with what they like (except maybe lighter fluid
icon_biggrin.gif
). Just look at the "Post a Photo of Yourself" or the "What do you do..." threads, and you'll get an idea of the wide-ranging Group we have here...personally, I love the increase in the non-US members...reading about our Friends in Europe and Australia makes you realize "Man, they call it by a different name, but it still tastes good on my grill !"...you Lurkers are no different !

Third, (and I may be banned for this !), but I find the cooking help for ANY equipment, recipe, or cooking style is priceless ! I admit I rarely use my WSM, but there are so many other great recipes, and the people to share them, and help with them, that this is my first stop when I have ANY cooking question ! Just look at the discussions about pizza
icon_smile.gif
! Rita has helped me with my pressure cooked black beans ; Krueger's "Mac and Cheese" is my go-to favorite ; Steve's No 5 Sauce is a classic ; and most everyone has tried Bryan S.' "Roadside Chicken" (or some variation). Heck, even Lampe has posted a recipe for my Dogs
icon_biggrin.gif
! Another stroke of genius by Chris is the various "Recipe" category forums. My point is...we got some real creative people here, who can cook, and who are willing to help you out if you ask...we seldom see "...and I add my "secret ingredient..." here !

Anyway, lurkers...just go ahead and jump in...you'll find most here are "Good People"...

Dean...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> And another thing, don't be intimidated by our titles by our names. They come from the number of posts we make, not the quality of our cooks. I am a hack an openly admit it! I am a pro only in bs-ing.
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Diddo. I've made plenty of lowsy cooks, but had a heck-of-a lotta fun making them and or bs-ing about them.

We all learn from each other so join already
wsmsmile8gm.gif

No influx of new members
icon_frown.gif

The term lurker, IMO, sounds kind of ominous, let's call non-members 'visitors' instead.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RichPB (richlife):
Yes, all you lurkers, com'on in. The cookin's fine!

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll second what Rich said. Anywhere that he (UNC) and I (NCSU) can coexist and have a good time is definitely a place where all should feel welcome. To paraphrase a well-known book, "The wolf will live with the ram, and the two shall dine on bbq beneath the long-leaf pine."
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob Correll:
No influx of new members
icon_frown.gif

The term lurker, IMO, sounds kind of ominous, let's call non-members 'visitors' instead. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>No disrespect is meant by "lurker", that's just a common term. The discussion forum software calls them "guests" vs. "members" and that makes sense to me.

Regards,
Chris

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mac McClure:
Chris,
Is there a maximum number "guest's" that can become members in one day? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I bet it's only limited by the bounds of the internet and the server being used to power this forum. Kinda like when so many people try to buy something on the internet all at once and the system can't handle the traffic. OH mY!!!
icon_eek.gif
icon_eek.gif

I've never lurked here. I do more reading than typing, but there is no intimidation.
I have found that the depth of cooking knowledge in general, and BBQ in particular, is near encyclopedic.
I'm not understanding where the reluctance to post might come from, since anonymity is easily maintained (not that anybody really cares.)
The wealth of info available here comes from the thousands of posts made by members.
Every experience lends Knowledge.
Please post. it's vital.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mac McClure:
Is there a maximum number "guest's" that can become members in one day? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>No, there is no limit to the number of people that can register per day. We get new registrations every day without fail.

Regards,
Chris

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I've always tried to create a friendly, non-intimidating environment here on the discussion forum so that people of all levels will feel comfortable participating. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yup, and you have done that well. It's why I post here and virtually no where else.

Totally agree. It's pretty much the only site I go to for several years now for collaboration on BBQ. Thing is there's much more than that going on here. I like the general attitude and lack of things like flame wars and smug attitudes that can limit freedom of communication, questions etc.

Like the layout to. A wealth of information on cooking topics in general beyond just Q. And the response time/rate is great. Excellent archive and general information articles besides the forums themselves.

Really like it here and continue to donate a few bucks every year because of that.

Chris does a great job.

Not sure why I am posting to this, everyone has said most of my thoughts
icon_biggrin.gif

Jump on in, don't wait for others to ask the question you want the answer to.

tip of tha hat to Chris A!

Well, it seems I am the mysterious "lurker" Don mentioned when starting this thread. I have to admit I never thought my first post would be one of this nature, and I'd like to apologize in advance for the length of this first post - there's lots to be said and I hope to clarify a few things if you kind folks will afford me a few words here...

First and most important, I think I can speak for other lurkers and guests on this site when I say THANKS for all of your inspirational support and encouragement - not only in this particular thread, but in all the many wonderful posts all over the site. Nothing was ever taken offensively in any way. In fact, your varied expressions of understanding and encouragement further confirms the incredibly special nature of this particular site. Thank you very much for everything - as you can tell, it worked because I was a former lurker and here I am making my first post. And it really IS fun!

A quick word of clarification if I may. Corey S probably said it best when he said he wasn't really "intimidated" to post as much as he felt he might not add much to the discussion. That is precisely the way I felt. My Dad used to tell me, "It's better to be quiet and be thought a fool of than to speak and remove all doubt." Seriously, it's important to make the distinction "being intimidated" and "thinking I have nothing worthwhile to add" because Chris really HAS made this site as friendly and UN-intimidating as possible. And you folks who are so knowledgeable and helpful have never been condescending or stuffy in any way. You have been kind, helpful, patient, sharing, and supportive at all times and that comes through as clear as a bell. So saying I was "intimidated" was just a very poor choice of words and I apologize for that. It was more a conscious thought of "what can I add to this discussion" and if the answer was "very little or nothing", then I sort-of thought I'd be wasting everyone's time by posting. Further, everyone seems to know each other so I would be the newcomer and I was hesitant to crash the party. It may sound like I'm trying to "spin it", but my lack of posting was actually a sign of respect. However, let me quickly add that all of your comments (and Don's patient support) have caused me to look at it differently and now I think I understand how each comment helps support and encourage everyone else so this all goes round and round - and we're all learning and having fun in the process. Fantastic! Thank you for so warmly inviting me and other guests to join in your cooking playground that Chris has created and captained so well.

Since this is my first post could I just add a few more comments? First, sorry my first post has no pics and doesn't have anything to do with cooking...

Second, for Mr Kruger: Well, the word "genius" doesn't even begin to describe you - more like "Renaissance Man". The list of what you don't know, Kevin, is infinitely shorter than what you do - yet you patiently share it all with perfect detail so even I can understand it. My favorite comment is "Kevin could cook a bowling ball to tender." I have no doubt that's true. Thank you, Sir, for adding so much to my cooking repertoire.

Third, for Mr Lampe: Not sure how to sum it up, but I'll try. You are absolutely inspirational, Jim. I sincerely hope you'll continue to inspire all of us with your creative ideas, hunger-inducing pics, and tireless energy and spirt, no matter the adversity. You make me want to get out there and cook something right now! Thank you, Sir.

Fourth, for Don Cash: This note is getting WAY too long - and that's Don's fault because he precipitated it. It began when I pestered Don via email with questions about his cooks and his "tools", and I remain so impressed with how kind and patient he was with it. But when he chided me to "get off the pot and post", he was so nice about it that I would have felt bad if I didn't do it. You're a Prince among men, Don. Please keep doing what you do - and please accept my sincere thanks.

Fifth, for Chris Allingham: Without you and your stewardship, none of this would have happened. Personally, I can't thank you enough and I truly regret if you ever got the impression that I thought this was intimidating in any way. You provide a very friendly and inviting environment and the folks who make up this forum make it a VERY special treasure for all of us. Thank you, Chris, for making learning and doing so much fun!

Sixth, for everyone else on the forum: Can't single out everyone, obviously, because it would be a very long list including folks like Steve Petrone, Mr Wolgast, Bob Correll, Rita Y, Bryan S, Gary in Joisey, and everyone else. I'm really sorry for such a long note here, but some things needed to be said. Most important among them is to say thank you, very sincerely, for all of your kind, gracious, helpful, and encouraging posts and comments all over the VWBB site. You folks, and your fun-loving sense of humor and willingness to share amazing knowledge, are what makes this all so inviting and so much fun. Thanks for letting me and other guests share all that.

There it is: My first post! Happy, Don? Seriously, now that I've gotten off the pot and made my first post, I'd really like to encourage anyone else to do so also. You DO have something to add - in fact, by posting things like questions, pics, comments, etc., you are adding a LOT towards elaboration and encouraging others to jump in too - and that's what makes it all go around. Please post and share your thoughts. We all learn in the process. Thanks for letting me stand on this soapbox for a bit. My future posts will surely be more concise... Enjoy a great weekend, everyone!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Well a hearty welcome to you Mickey!!
We always need more folks of few words on the forum
icon_razz.gif

Seriously, you very much fit in here already, it's easy to see that you are our "type!"

Again Welcome aboard!

Bob

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">...and now I think I understand how each comment helps support and encourage everyone else so this all goes round and round - and we're all learning and having fun in the process. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
They really do. Commentary and questions foster everyone's understanding.

Thank you for your very kind words. And welcome to the board.

Welcome aboard, Mickey. Looking forward to your cooks and commentary.

Did Don happen to mention the hazing and brutal initiation process that all new members have to go through after their first post?
icon_wink.gif

I didn't lurk much. I just jumped in with both feet and haven't regretted it. This place is fun. And those posts of all those perfect cooks. There not going to show you the disasters. I ask dumb questions and burn a few things now and then. I feel like I am cooking with my brothers/sisters.

Thank you, folks, for your very kind "welcome" comments. I truly do feel more a part of the forum already.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Did Don happen to mention the hazing and brutal initiation process that all new members have to go through after their first post? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, he didn't mention "hazing" specifically, but he said we're all going to a wine bar that K Kruger chooses and I have to buy a round for anyone I didn't mention in my first post. That's why I mentioned so many names.
icon_wink.gif

Seriously, thanks again for everyone's warm welcome and I'm looking forward to posting something about cooking soon. Great weekend to all!

Yeah, I lurked for all of 2 minutes. I posted one question and got so many responses (all good) I decided this is the place to learn some good stuff.

Back