Memphis-Style "Dry" Spares

Jerome D.

TVWBB All-Star
Don't get me wrong...I do very much appreciate a good BBQ sauce, but truth be told, I actually prefer eating my ribs "dry". I seasoned a couple racks of St Louis cut spares using Saveur magazine's version of the dry rub (link to recipe here) used at Rendezvous in Memphis. I cooked them on the Performer + Cajun Bandit Stacker using Nature-Glo lump as the fuel, and a combination of wood chunks consisting of peach, olive, and oak. Just for the heck of it, I pretty much paid no attention to temperature during this cook, not even using a thermometer, and didn't bother to foil. So naturally, the cook that I put the least amount of effort into yielded my favorite batch of ribs I've made so far. Good porky flavor, very tender but not falling off the bone, and just enough smoke. Thanks for checking out the photos!

Action shot...

Off the grill and resting...

Dusted with some extra dry rub before serving...

Some plated shots...

Great looking cook. I agree with Jerome on the dry ribs and the next batch I do I'm going to just salt & pepper one rack like Tony did a while back and see how that turns out.

I do about 80% of mine dry and love it. Only do sauce if i get a request, Jerome my friend you nailed those. Well done.

I like dry rubs too, did you find these too or overly salty? Comments at the site where the recipe was seems they think it was salty, did you reduce the salt in the rub?

Don't get me wrong...I do very much appreciate a good BBQ sauce, but truth be told, I actually prefer eating my ribs "dry". I seasoned a couple racks of St Louis cut spares using Saveur magazine's version of the dry rub (link to recipe here) used at Rendezvous in Memphis. I cooked them on the Performer + Cajun Bandit Stacker using Nature-Glo lump as the fuel, and a combination of wood chunks consisting of peach, olive, and oak. Just for the heck of it, I pretty much paid no attention to temperature during this cook, not even using a thermometer, and didn't bother to foil. So naturally, the cook that I put the least amount of effort into yielded my favorite batch of ribs I've made so far. Good porky flavor, very tender but not falling off the bone, and just enough smoke. Thanks for checking out the photos!

I like dry rubs too, did you find these too or overly salty? Comments at the site where the recipe was seems they think it was salty, did you reduce the salt in the rub?

Hi Mike,
When I made the rub for the very first time, it did turn out too salty because I only read the ingredient list and neglected to read through the recipe in its entirety. Upon realizing that only 2 of the 6 Tbsp of salt actually go into the rub, while the remaining 4 Tbsp go into the baste (which I don't use by the way), I made the rub with the correct proportions, and I find the salt level to be just fine for my taste.

Back