memorial day brisket - question on smoke ring

BChan

So this time I flipped the brisket over fat side up after wrapping it. Brisket turned out to be much more moist (and overdone) but there was a complete lack of a smoke ring.

• Brisket is put fat side down.
  • I spritz it with water every 30 mins at about the 2:30 mark or whevener I see the bark setting up
  • keep the water pan full of water
  • put about 7-8 handfuls of hickory chunks on top of the charcoal ring (minion method)
  • let the cooker come to temp before putting the meat on (about 30-40 mins or so)

any advice? where is my smoke ring?!?!

That brisket looks great. Maybe slightly over on the end there but that can happen with a skinny flat. How was it in the center? I think you did everything to get a smoke ring you can other than maybe putting in the meat cold. I typically only get a hint of one. I just had some of the best brisket I've ever had at Cattlelack's Barbecue in Dallas and it didn't have a crazy smoke ring. I don't know why it eludes some of us and other people have no trouble at all with it.

Too much early spritzing, maybe. I never spritz until after it's through the stall -- usually just once or twice in the last hour. I don't wrap until it's off the cooker and ready to rest in the cooler/cambro.

Jeff

If the flavor is there, I look at the smoke ring as kind of a happy bonus, there, but not really needed to enjoy the meat.

Brisket does look great!:wsm:
You didn't mention your choice of fuel, and you said 7-8 handfuls of hickory chunks... Is that chips or chunks cause that's alot of chunks.

Tim

kingsford competition charcoal briquettes. about 2.5 chimney full. I added more chunks of hickory this time in attempt to get a smoke ring...but apparently that didn't make a difference.

If its not wood, then it generally something that is preventing the oxides of nitrogen and carbon monoxide from penetrating the meat surface. It can be sliver skin that was not removed. Can also be a layer of fat. Anything that will not allow water molecules to act as the vehicle for the oxides of nitrogen and carbon monoxide. If one rubs their briskets with an oil, to help stick the rub, the smoke ring will suffer.

As others have said, moving your brisket from the refrigerator directly to the smoker is good thing, if you want a good smoke ring !

If its not wood, then it generally something that is preventing the oxides of nitrogen and carbon monoxide from penetrating the meat surface. It can be sliver skin that was not removed. Can also be a layer of fat. Anything that will not allow water molecules to act as the vehicle for the oxides of nitrogen and carbon monoxide. If one rubs their briskets with an oil, to help stick the rub, the smoke ring will suffer.

As others have said, moving your brisket from the refrigerator directly to the smoker is good thing, if you want a good smoke ring !

Great explanation, Bob!

I did move the brisket directly from the fridge to the smoker and seasoned only with salt and pepper. There were splotches of silver skin that I didn't bother to remove; maybe next time I'll pay more attention to removing that and see if it makes a difference. thanks!

I get a better smoke ring in the 18.5 WSM if I place it fat side up for at least the first hour. That way the smoke hits the meat more directly.

Brisket looks great! How long did the cook take?

I had it on for almost 11 hours. I miscalculated my time, thinking I had a 10 lbs brisket when I really had 9 lbs after trimming all the fat off (almost 4 lbs of fat...ridiculous). I didn't do a good job of checking it towards the end and when I went to pick it up, knew that it was overdone almost immediately. However, it was tender though and my family didn't complain =)

- - - Updated - - -

I get a better smoke ring in the 18.5 WSM if I place it fat side up for at least the first hour. That way the smoke hits the meat more directly.

I'm beginning to think that might be my next move...

Back