Med-Heat Brisket Cook

LarryR

TVWBB Diamond Member
PICTURES

Just got home and I'm dead tired, it's been a long day. I have 13.5 brisket to throw on for dinner tomorrow night and I really don't want to do it tonight. I can go high heat but prefer low heat cooks, I like the bark and I just plain prefer long cooks. We'll probably eat around 7:00 p.m. so I'm wondering if I put her on around 6:00 a.m. and ran her at 275 grate vs. 225 if she'd be done in time and I still may some decent bark on her. I'm thinking she'd probably take around 11 hours at that temp.

Any thoughts or concerns with 275?

My only concern would be that your "window" of pulling it when tender vs. overcooked might be smaller then if cooked at a lower temp. This might be one of those situations when you may want to pull it just shy of tender then wrap and rest. Just an idea, keep a close eye on her and you should be fine. Hope it comes out good for ya Larry.

Thanks George, curious, how's the bark?

I've got to tell you this coffee rub/paste I'm using smells and tastes amazing! Have a good feeling about this one! Posted pictures above.

Wow Larry, that paste looks wild, do you have a recipe or did you just wing it? I've been wanting to try one of the red eye, or coffee rubs.

Brandon, it smells and tasted divine! It's from BBQ Bible Sauces Rubs and Marinades by Raichlen, it's called Coffee - Cardamom Brisket Rub:
½ cup ground coffee (I used a very strong fresh ground French Roast)
½ cup kosher or sea salt (I cut this in 1/2)
½ cup packed dark brown sugar
¼ cup hot paprika
2 T ground cardamom
2 T ground ginger
1/3 cup chopped fresh garlic
½ cup veg. oil or as needed

Combine all ingredients except oil in food processor to mix. Add oil to make a thick paste. Rub on brisket and refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.

Kevin K has a couple of interesting rubs using coffee too.

Seems like a lot of sugar for a beef rub dosent it? I've had some mis-adventures in rub making, and adding a bunch of sugar to a brisket rub was one of them....maybe the coffee counters the sugar, i dunno, it just cought my eye......I'll be waiting for the outcome tomarrow afternoon. How do you think an adaptation of this coffee rub would work for a tenderloin?

I pretty sure I got that book out at the library and that was one of the few recipes I photocopied.

I'll be curious to know how the rub works out.

I had a recent experiment with oil in a rub and I wasn't to keen on the outcome and I wondered if the oil had something to do with it.

I added oil to make a paste which I applied to flank steak that was grilled for fajitas. The meat lacked the flavor I was expecting and I wondered if the oil kind of bound up my spices and herbs. My thought was to try using water, vinegar or lime juice next time to see if there's a difference.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I've had some mis-adventures in rub making, and adding a bunch of sugar to a brisket rub was one of them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">oil in a rub and I wasn't to keen on the outcome and I wondered if the oil had something to do with it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh No!!! Crap, I knew I should have posted this recipe before I tried it. Oh well, live and learn. I'll definitly let you know how she turns out. Don't tell Ed C. about the oil in the rub, he's the one coming to dinner
icon_wink.gif

I decided to go at 265 grate. Got her on at 6:00 a.m. and she's coming to temp now. Didn't get as long as a rest on the counter as I would have liked but oh well, we'll see.

There's nothing like standing outside at sunrise smelling cherry and red oak smoke wood and enjoying your coffee, the world is silent with the exception of Stoker getting your fire going, man, wish I could have frozen this morning for just a little longer . . .

Pictures are updated, didn't notice until I looked at the pictures that I forgot to rub the sides of the damn brisket, grrrr.

EDIT: She's moving pretty fast, she's been on 1:40 and only at temp I'd say and 1:00 and I'm at 105, I'm thinking I'm going to throttle her back down to about 230 and see how she does. Any thoughts?

EDIT II: 5 hours in and I'm at 167 and ready to foil. Crap, the one brisket that's moving fast had to be today's. Oh well, another beer, don't mind if I do!

EDIT III: 8.5 hours in, she's been foiled for about 1:00 and we're sitting at 169.1 and it's 3:23 p.m., I think we're still looking good fore a 7:00 p.m. dinner. I throttled grate down to 235. Getting ready to throw a fatty on. I wonder what effect starting out at a higher temp will have. Tasted the rub when I foiled and I've got to tell you it's the best I've tasted, we'll see how it is on the brisket.

I'm sure it will be fine Larry. See what you think about the sugar and oil though. I wish I was standing by the smoker in peace instead of listening to 4 boys karate choppin the hell out of each other. If I had a quarter of their energy I'd have the smoker cleaned and my tenderloin trimmed already
icon_wink.gif

Just noticed your edit, you can always throttle back now and see where you are at temp wise later, then if you have to turn her back up.

Originally posted by LarryR:

There's nothing like standing outside at sunrise smelling cherry and red oak smoke wood and enjoying your coffee, the world is silent

Amen.....

Hey J. B. was just interested by your post. Maybe try that one again for both of us.. the oil and rub (that way I don't have to be the one to find out the "hard way"). I always thought an oil should help seasoning stick to food in a way. BUT now that you mention it how could it be better then when your flanks were cooking the juices grabbin' the seasonings instead and bringing things together?.. strange. Anyone else have input on this? I just thought when grilling or doing anything high heat that oil would assist in seasonings "sticking" or however you want to put that. Marinading without oil makes sense to me but I don't know what to think of your cook J.B. I never really use oil anyway, in rubs, ...yet that is.

After several bottles of wine--please excuse the typos and brevity--I will post more in the near future: Oil can carry flavors very, very well. To do so most effectively though, the oil should be gently heated along with (some) of the rub's key flavor elements, especially those that are more fat soluble. Regardless, oil in paste rubs (with a good technique and proper approach) is not something to be automatically be avoided. It has its use--most definitely.

No worries Kevin, way too many adult beverages to type tonight, I'll update tomorrow. Awesome brisket though, awesome!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">No worries Kevin, way too many adult beverages to type tonight, I'll update tomorrow. Awesome brisket though, awesome! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds like we all had a good night. Last night, I attempted to clarify my earlier statement, but thought better when the pitcher of margaritas kept confusing me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Regardless, oil in paste rubs (with a good technique and proper approach) is not something to be automatically be avoided. It has its use--most definitely.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I assumed oil would be fairly benign, and if anything help keep the spice on the meat and not on the grill which I find happens with paste rubs and grilling. To that end, I think it helped. I know a lot of the flavor ended up on the cutting board along with the meat juice.

I wondered about the oil because I added a bit of pretty good evoo to the spices and when I taste tested I was surprised how the evoo came through despite the chile, cumin, lime zest, cilantro, etc dominating the mix.

I know this wasn't the best application of evoo, but I didn't have many other oil options.

Why does having that much fun always come with a price the next day?

Pictures are updated - Well the consensus was this brisket rub is the favorite of all the different rubs I've used. You're not going to win any bark or smoke ring contests, maybe due to the oil, but the flavor was out of this world! Hard to describe other than a rich caramel, coffee, smoky flavor. I rubbed her and let her sit overnight and would do so again.

Brisket timing worked out perfectly, we were targeting 7:00 p.m. to start dinner and I think I was slicing the brisket around 7:30. As Ed C. pointed out as we were sitting around the table, no knife needed, she was that tender and very moist. No dried out edges etc. Honestly, for me it was perfect, can't imaging doing a better one. Just can't can't get over that flavor . . . I want do to another brisket today, LOL. Bottom-line, I highly recommend the rub/paste!

Nice work Larry, she was a thing of beauty.

Was that the first time you've tried a coffee rub? I have another recipe that I use occasionally on beef that you might like to try. Let me know and I'll post it.

You have to love it when a plan comes together like its supposed to! Congrats on the brisket Larry. I've never had much luck with smoke rings but from what I've read, the lack of one may have been caused from the brisket coming up to temp so quickly in the beginning. They always say the longer your under ~140 in the smoke the more time for your ring to form.

It sounds like my concerns about the amount of sugar were unwarranted, the coffee must be a strong enough flavor to balance the sugar. Caramel, coffee, smokey flavor sounds like a wonderful mix, I'd like to try this soon. Does this rub have to be used as a paste or could a guy simply use it as a dry rub? JB, I'd be interested in that coffee rub you mentioned.

Once again congrats, hope you and Ed had fun and get over your bottle flu, (I took a 3 hour nap and it helped
icon_wink.gif
)

You definitly could use the rub dry, although I do feel that the oil help keep the rub on the brisket. No concerns at all with the sugar, in-fact I wouldn't say it was overly sweet at all. I used French Roast so maybe it offset the sugar. Now that I'm sold on coffee in rubs (this was my first) I'm going to venture out and try a couple of Kevin's coffee rubs.

Yea, bottle flu blows . . .

larry, that looks great. i just might try it. for my rubs to stick i actually cover my brisket in a layer of mustard. as to the bark it seems good enough to me. not much experiance in other samples so kinda limited there. one thing i don't do anymore is foil. seems to make the bark mushy to me.

Back