Meathead says Beer Can Chicken is BS

Chris in Louisiana

TVWBB All-Star
Meathead has a long article on Huffington Post that explores the beer can chicken technique.

He concludes that it doesn't work.

I used to cook them that way on a gasser, and they were good. I tend to cook chicken these days indirect on the OTG.

It's an interesting article, worth a read if you like to cook chicken.

I think I read something similar on his amazing ribs site. Basically, he says its a dangerous way to cook chicken and has a scientist who provides data as proof. It still like to do it
icon_smile.gif

Although not the "perfect" way to cook a chicken it's a very easy way to cook and you can get good results.

Open a can of beer, spice the chicken, put it on the can. Can't get much easier than this.

Originally posted by Chris in Louisiana:

He concludes that it doesn't work.

You mean I have been eating uncooked chicken all these years?

I'm sorry, beer can chicken is some of the most juicy chicken I have ever eaten.

I agree with him up to a point in that I think the beer does nothing for flavor or moisture. Dangerous? That seems like a stretch. I've done a few with and without beer and have liked the results. Moist chicken is properly cooked. Dry chicken is overcooked. Not much more complicated than that.

Most Steven Raichlen cooking techniques are utter BS so I understand the skepticism about beer can chicken. From soaking wood chunks in beer to his "bratwurst hot tub" recipe where he cooks a bunch of brats and then lets them simmer in a case of Schlitz, they're a complete waste of beer.

Konrad Haskin from the TVWBB told me years ago that a brined chicken was much much better than a BCC, He said that it was just the wow factor, I tried it and agreed with him. Since then I have done comparisons about 4 or 5 times for people who swear by BCC and the brined chicken wins out hands down every time.
Brined chicken is mine and my family and friends favourite.

As for the brats in beer there are many other ways and fluids that you can do them in, depending on the beer you get some crappy tastes.

Cheers

Originally posted by Jerry P.:

Most Steven Raichlen cooking techniques are utter BS so I understand the skepticism about beer can chicken. From soaking wood chunks in beer to his "bratwurst hot tub" recipe where he cooks a bunch of brats and then lets them simmer in a case of Schlitz, they're a complete waste of beer.

I agree that soaking wood chips in beer is utterly useless, and boiling brats in beer is probably a waste of beer; but why do you say that most of Raichlen's techniques are BS? Do you have any other examples?

I'm only curious because I have two of his books, and found them to be good for the most part.

Beer can chix is fine - maybe b/c it it basically vertically roasted chic which I think is fine. A stand that holds the bird vertically and allows hot air in is the way to fly. Drink the beer or slice some onions into it and use it as a hot bath tto keep the brats warm

I agree that soaking wood chips in beer is utterly useless, and boiling brats in beer is probably a waste of beer; but why do you say that most of Raichlen's techniques are BS? Do you have any other examples?

Making babybacks on a roti, wrapping (insert your favorite meat) in bacon to "keep it moist", pineapple on the roti, just to name a few more. Raichlen is as much of a showman as he is a chef and if you listen to him much, you'll hear him admit that he does a lot of thing "just because they look cool".

Don't get me wrong, I own one of his books, a BBQ U DVD, and I DVR Primal Grill to get recipe ideas. He comes off much better in print than he does on TV in my opinion.

I think a lot of cooking techniques are for the "wow" factor that don't add much to the food. It's cool to do something different than what other people are doing. Part of cooking is the "wow" factor though to make it more entertaining. It's not much different than good presentation. Just because it looks better sitting on a plate than a sloppy presentation, it doesn't make it taste better, but makes you feel better about it.

BCC, I don't think the method adds to the end product but it makes it more fun for people. Not over cooking is the key to all methods. I like to roto birds. It probably isn't any better than just roasting or BCC but I find it more enjoyable. That's a lot of what cooking is about for me.

I have to agree that sometimes the WOW factor is almost as important as the food itself. If I go to a Brazilian steak house and they slice the meat off of the spit in front of me, I will probably like it better than just a plate of meat coming out from the kitchen. Same goes with the Habachi grills where they cook in front of you. People like a show and a story.

I did 2 beer can chickens tonight on my kettle, they were tender, juicy and flavorful.
Was it the beer can or something else?
I don't know and I don't care, the chicken came out amazing, which is all that matters to me!

Bob

I would like someone to cook three chix as an experiment

First - your fav beer can recipe

Second - as first but with an empty can -(drink it, don't pour it out)

Third - as second but with the bottom of the can cut out

Serve the bird to your pals etc. and see what they think.

I agree that brining works wonders for chicken and turkey.

When I have the time, energy, and foresight, I brine the poultry. When I don't, it's never quite as good.

All I can tell you is I've made bad chicken without a beer can. I've never made bad chicken WITH a beer can.

Good information and I'm glad that we like slightly overcooked chicken. We use the beer can technique with a stainless steel holder and cook it in our Weber kettle with coals off to both sides of the chicken. I always use oak wood chunks when cooking in my Weber Kettle. Since we always "overcook" chicken we tend to get a healthy chicken that is very tasty for "us". I'll try the next one with just the holder and spices in the cavity for comparison sake. Thanks for the link to this article.

JackO

I did this one tonight on the WSM with no water pan and kingsford blue. Sure tasted good to us!
icon_smile.gif

005-4.jpg

Back