Meat Glue??

Any way to save a buck.

The problem is when legislation is passed to include "glued meat" on the label, they'll hike up the prices of regular meat. They need to ban this stuff ASAP...

I've been dying to get my hand on tranglutaminase.

One of the best things I've ever eaten, I suspect was constructed with tg.

It has to be purchased in large quantities and has an extremely short shelf life, making it extremely impractical for home use.

For commercial use -> BAN!

Bacteria forms(most) @ surface areas. Thats why ground meat dont have a long shelf life.(alot of surface area) And to "Glue" small peices of meat into one big dont really speak for the TG.

But with that said i bet in right hands and with the right use/knowledge and food safty im with Jeff. Could use this to do some Amazing stuffs.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by j biesinger:
I've been dying to get my hand on tranglutaminase.

One of the best things I've ever eaten, I suspect was constructed with tg.

It has to be purchased in large quantities and has an extremely short shelf life, making it extremely impractical for home use. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The price is coming down :)

$90 for a Kilo and 18 month shelf life. Using grams at a time........

Transglutaminase

Kind of in the same vein as Dr. Evil during group therapy discussing his upbringing:

"In the spring we'd make meat helmets."

I'm no expert but if Amazon can sell it in the US, I would assume that it is not toxic. I may be wrong but if it is not harmful I would say go for it. I do think that truth in advertising has a part in representing a cut of meat for what it is and not what it isn't. The gluing process may improve the texture of a sub par cut of meat. Hmmmmm.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">$90 for a Kilo </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

excellent! now I can finally make a elecowpigambturduckinal!!!!!!!!!!!!!buwahahaha!

Was just reading about a guy who buys Beef Short ribs. Debones the meat and trims all the Silver skin off.

Then he uses the "Meat Glue" to make a steak out of the Beef Short Rib Meat. Claims that it's his fake "Kobe style" beef for inexpensive steaks at home.

Wow very interesting. First things that went through my mind were applications I would like to try.

But then reading further folks are at this at a whole new level that I can't imagine ever having the time for giving I still have a "day job".

Very interesting read though. Would like to have some to play with if someone wants to split a bag. Why does this sound like we're back into the '60's
icon_smile.gif
Hey man - want to split a bag of TGM?

Lots of just simple uses come to mind.

The Harvard video is really interesting. I think I'm going to try to watch the entire lecture series.

Regarding meat glue, I do wonder if this becomes the next problem similar to enhanced meat. Now I have to read the fine print on the label to determine if my steak comes from a whole cut of meat or if it's been glued together from lots of scrap pieces.

From the perspective of Wylie Dufresne using meat glue to create shrimp noodles or whatever in a restaurant setting, that's fine because you know he's playing tricks with food.

And I guess using meat glue to create a sausage without a casing might be OK, too.

It's a really interesting yet somewhat disturbing topic to think about, isn't it?

Regards,
Chris

Jeez guys, all it is is coagulant
icon_eek.gif
. Sounds appetizing to me :-(. If real butchers can't pick it out we're in real trouble.

Exactly - what's a litttle coagulant among friends??
icon_cool.gif

I understand the concerns about how it can be abused in the commercial market. That aside I really like the creative opportunities it brings.

Looks great! Yes, the dishonest hawking of fillet tips as fillet steak is wrong, but if used openly, I think this can be a fun product!

The Harvard video shows some uses that make sense to me in theory, like when Wylie takes thin cuts of flap meat that normally can't be cooked medium rare and glues them together in a larger piece of meat that *can* be cooked medium rare. Or when he takes fish fillets, cuts them into thin strips, glues them all together to create a round sausage shape and then cuts that into rounds for cooking.

Both are neat ideas, but both should be disclosed to eaters, I think.

Regards,
Chris

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
The Harvard video shows some uses that make sense to me in theory, like when Wylie takes thin cuts of flap meat that normally can't be cooked medium rare and glues them together in a larger piece of meat that *can* be cooked medium rare. Or when he takes fish fillets, cuts them into thin strips, glues them all together to create a round sausage shape and then cuts that into rounds for cooking.

Both are neat ideas, but both should be disclosed to eaters, I think.

Regards,
Chris </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed, my sentiments as well.

Back