Meat Glue??

Call me confused, but I don't see why anybody would be worried about this stuff. Assembled meats can be some fine dining, afterall how different is it from sausage? Just avoid any restaurant that you don't trust. If you trust a chef, let him or her serve you their best, and enjoy it. There's no chef worth their salt that's going to serve you something that doesn't taste good or might harm you.

There's nothing wrong with sausage, as long as you know that's what you're buying. When companies or restaurants start passing off sausage as whole meat, then we have a problem--especially since you cannot tell the difference once it's been cooked. That's the essence of the Australian news story that started this thread.

As consumers, we have a right to know what we're buying. I'm all for people being able to buy whatever they want...glued meat might be perfectly fine, but it should be disclosed and should cost less than whole meat.

Beyond this, there are the issues of exterior surface bacteria now being in the center of the meat, and if not cooked to a high enough temp you've got e.coli or whatever on the inside of your steak. I was surprised that this was not raised in that great Harvard video I watched.

Regards,
Chris

I agree that the consumer should be informed regardless of whether it is at the market or the restaurant. Through the years I have moved steadily towards a more active accepting of responsibility for what I put in my body and believe it is my right to know what I am buying, what is in it, how it has been raised and how it has been handled. It seems the further we get from smaller and local the more we see e-coli outbreaks, salmonella outbreaks and what have you.

Hey guys. I am just checking to see if anyone has had a chance to try this yet. Also I am wondering if the glue has the same affect on chicken skin.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Hey guys. I am just checking to see if anyone has had a chance to try this yet. Also I am wondering if the glue has the same affect on chicken skin. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Its pretty impractical for most home cooks. Its only available in 1 kg packs, they cost around $100 each and have an extremely short shelf life.

Yes, it works well gluing chicken skin on. Over a year ago, I asked Kevin about it and if it would work for chicken thighs. We agreed it had potential, but its still not available for home use. Since then, the Modernist Cuisine guys have come out with a recipe for fried chicken that uses TG to glue skin on.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Can I send you an email on this? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

anytime

5centsmokerATgmailD0Tcom

moving conversation to a secure channel
icon_wink.gif

I liked Dave's article, and agree there is potential, but will the price ever come down?

And what would you fuse together if you had some? Other than the obvious chicken skin.

I'd go for 2 briskets
icon_smile.gif

It's not so much the price but the packaging, 1 kg that, once opened, has a shelf life if a couple of months. Put that kg into 50 20g packs and I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

I thinks its Keller that glues serrano ham to mackerel fillets that looks awesome

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">And what would you fuse together if you had some? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I don't know. It's something that I am more interested in seeing what others do with it. Not really my style. The occasional use of lecithin, agar-agar, xanthan, etc., I do. Meat glue doesn't strike my fancy personally, though I like seeing what others do with it and have enjoyed the fruits of their efforts on a few occasions.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wolgast:

But with that said i bet in right hands and with the right use/knowledge and food safty im with Jeff. Could use this to do some Amazing stuffs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> I agree with Daniels statement. Too bad it's more than likely not going to be used the way Jeff, Daniel and the rest of us would like. I must add that I have some proper ideas for it myself.

Not really into banning things. Laws have been in place for years stating that manufacturers must stated when the, in this case, meat is 'formed'. And that's what they in fact do state. (This is clearly mentioned in the article as well.)

I prefer to let the market sort it out.

Back