McMaster Z Bars and black plastic washers - comparison pictures with originals

DrewZ

TVWBB Fan
As part of my Genesis Junior project, I placed an order with McMaster-Carr for stainless hardware, and some additional bits to experiment with: a 1-foot section of aluminum z bar ($3.21) and a 100-pack of black nylon washers ($9.81). In searching the forums, I saw much discussion of the MM bars, but no pictures, so I figured I'd post some:

Washers (original on left; McMaster on right). McMasters are approximately 1/16" larger in diameter but otherwise feel very similar to the originals:

hQ-S_kNyOjzjAzHDeEaL2uVYnBaWU35X_dBRKwSCf9fhbrywpAWBm20DmEpYTwTUkD5qfnedoWQLl8CPmhT2lK8_EqLm4jMj_TW5ksPb19ujjiRK5ODwmtivq9RSteYQSULgDN36HyM=w700

Z bars. These are (obviously) significanly different from the originals, but might be an economical substitute:

nlcJfy87RQH3WpbvQghAjuik5sCDeFpcFoZcgcL4njdS066vG88PJ_j6eRSr5D8X3U1hwEG5hISQbAHaqdgiyHKB5yHcgdT74KMKXUjo1A0Mn5C8FXXhdHxcrCp1-i5O1MBVvg9U1KU=w700

irpfbvjXTj7HoMjKda-RMdqSJlcoHgPURLR3W8r2y0czFEoary_JsjdNTlBgsO7EbbrX1KnWrvP2jU4JdRcPJO4vJwVdeUCkroPTUEONNpOI00zzpIhu34WygTA1of3dziinw5JI1m0=w700

SId07sQpsz8hgmECdybgFp0f95MOPdbYKSwbAf5t5uV-fuIlEy1M7PgmTNZ2A_6kjIdecRZxULIndEPiND-JaPQCtPx3Npt2418tdhuX1-gUQhXcqQU2GbnTN48gm583wppNyEER14s=w700

8SSvPK0yKnYqDnvw7LmfIwq12S_l12rHDCYg45EEgXWgClc7t_4AizgE6Z1R1rOGhzbyCTlL2f0lHWhuwO6EHiIQip_EinkY24ObmKjk4V1X5JFGUZTrGPWmddpBY3l0a3V2j1g_bR4=w700

Drew. That is an awesome review on the washers and Z bars. Thanks for taking the time to post the photos.

Can you replace the nylon washers with SS ones?

Perhaps someone else can chime in, but I don't think it's recommended. I believe there's a reason why Weber went with nylon instead of metal for use between the metal bolt head and the metal frame. It's the same way on my SSP--except they also use aluminum washers to go between the nylon washer and the acorn nut for the bolts that attach the kettle to the frame.

I know aluminum and steel have an issue, but not sure SS and regular carbon steel have any adverse reactions when in close proximity.

I can think of one possible reason for nylon washers vs steel or SS washers. I think maybe Weber thinks the soft buffer of the nylon washer will prevent scoring of the frame member when tightening the nut. Scoring or scratching the steel frame member would expose the steel to the elements and hence be source of rust.

I am not sure that is the case, but one possible reason that I can dream up.

Rick, while I think that is a big reason for a lot of those questionable moves, I don't think saving a couple pennies per grill is reason enough, even for the most egregious of cost cutting decisions.

Rick, while I think that is a big reason for a lot of those questionable moves, I don't think saving a couple pennies per grill is reason enough, even for the most egregious of cost cutting decisions.
Bean counters beg to differ. Look into the GM ignition switch recall. A complete debacle killing many all to save about ¢30 on the total cost of an entire vehicle. which by the way ended up costing GM a whole lot more than $0.30 by the time everything was said and done.

I am a bean counter by trade, but I like to think I try to use the other side of my brain more than most CPA-types do. Still, don't let bean counters run your company!!! They about killed Chrysler in the late 70's /early 80's with ugly, no good cars until Lee Iacocca saved their necks - for a time at least. And, of course, around here what they have done to an unfortunate degree with the old Weber family company is legendary.

At least it seems some "product" people at Weber are trying to be heard. I see that in the later version open cart Genesis II, which, although NOT as good to me as the "classic" Genesis grills many of us here love, at least offers some positive improvements including 9mm stainless grates, improved burners and igniters and, as said, an OPEN CART - even in a crimson red version!

I even see it in the SmokeFire. Yes, it was apparently not tested under realistic conditions adequately, but it also was an attempt to do something new and special. It seems they are getting the biggest problems solved - which mostly came from trying to break new ground and be innovative. If you look over at the pellet grill section at some of the cooking results, they are phenomenal(y). I think a 100% bean counter-run company would have opted for the safe route and just brought out another run of the mill pellet grill with no new ideas and slapped a Weber badge on it - a plastic badge at that :rolleyes: ! I wish Weber still had George:george: at the helm, but I also think we need to give credit where we can to those at Weber working in a very different world than what he did.

When I restored my genny 1000, I could not find an adequate substitute for Weber’s washers. I don’t know what they are made of, but it’s something very tough and durable. I reused washers from my grill and reused some from a parts grill to complete my restoration. Newer ones from the internet and local hardware stores seemed like they would melt. The 25-year-old washers were better than anything I found new.

That said, two words: Ford Pinto. My dad worked for Ford (white collar) just shy of 40 years. He said the only thing the company learned from the Pinto debacle was to institute a corporate-wide shredding policy. Making a safer vehicle? Not so much.

I am sure stainless washers are just fine. I don't think they used the nylon to save money. They usually cost more than metal ones

I am sure stainless washers are just fine. I don't think they used the nylon to save money. They usually cost more than metal ones
You are right LMichaels, I priced them on McMaster-Carr and the Nylon were more $$ than the SS. I think Bruce is right, there must be some protective benefit to the frame pieces by using the nylon.

Back