Maybe your inventory will get blown away...

Jon Tofte

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
We have potentially powerful Hurricane Dorian bearing down on us right now with landfall currently expected very close to Hobe Sound. My wife and her father were already in Virginia visiting family when this came to life, so they are going to delay returning. My wife has some pity on me and my responsibilities for our little campground/residential community. Her concern doesn't extend to the grill projects piled up in my yard that I will have to find some way to secure before the weekend is out. For those she said, "Maybe your inventory will get blown away!"

Here's some of our maintenance guys this afternoon getting plywood shutters organized. We have a lot of shutters made up because we have had to board up for three of the last four years:p!

BrlqLUt.jpg

If you are so inclined please say a prayer for us. This could be the "big one" that our area has avoided for decades. I live less than a mile from the ocean.

Eek! I just looked up your town on a map. I sure hope the models forecasting a Cat 4 are wrong.

Dang Jon. So much for living in paradise. When is the bad stuff supposed to hit your area?
You have some prayers coming from my direction.
God Bless,
Bruce

Good luck Jon. I bet that Skyline is in your house!

;) Not yet, but it will be! It is my only grill with a side burner, so it will likely be an important cooking utensil. Big problem is all my projects in the yard and preventing them from becoming projectiles.

Jon:
Will be praying for you and all those in the path of Dorian. We lived in a seaside town in RI and had hurricanes, but nothing like a cat 4. Those grills outside would be best just laid on their backs. They may move a bit in the wind, but will not have the tip-over impact. Stay safe. Hope you have some spare tanks filled.

Hang in there Jon. I'm holding positive thoughts for you, your family and all the other folks facing this terrible storm. Be safe and update us when possible.

Jon:
Will be praying for you and all those in the path of Dorian. We lived in a seaside town in RI and had hurricanes, but nothing like a cat 4. Those grills outside would be best just laid on their backs. They may move a bit in the wind, but will not have the tip-over impact. Stay safe. Hope you have some spare tanks filled.

Dan that is actually an excellent idea!

Yes, on their back up against something would be best. On their backs helps keeps the lids closed so they don't act like a sail. Worked good with Nor'easters too.

Not out of dodge yet...

You may noticed that Dorian is presently bringing extraordinary destructive force to the NW Bahamas. We have students at our small college from there and with family in the direct path. Meanwhile, our area is again within the potential “cone.” The current wind speed is reminiscent of Hurricane Andrew which yielded atomic bomb-like destruction in the tight area around the eye wall. This is the most powerful storm on record to hit the NW Bahamas. I pray we escape the brunt of it...

P.S. My grill projects are mostly laying down on their faces. Maybe my wife’s wishes will be granted after all:eek:!

Maybe Indiana. They have better sweet corn there, too!

I sent this picture of me working in our organization’s shop getting shutters cut. She dubbed it “Norm Abram II.”

YsUqvLB.jpg

Can you believe that this was our sky around noontime with the monster storm maybe 100 miles away?

B1pwxbU.jpg

Other than a few shutters you would never know. I think about people living here a hundred years ago who would have had no idea what was coming.

Last edited:

Back