Maverick et-73 mod

I called today since I had not heard anything since I sent my receiver back on 8/5/05. I talked to Sandy and apparently Darren received my old receiver but an order was never placed for a replacement unit. So, for those of you still waiting, I would recommend calling Sandy (via the customer service number). She said that a replacement unit would be sent via UPS by the end of the week. She also said that they are testing each receiver before shipping it so that we do not encounter problems with the replacement units (we shall see!). Apparently just about everyone at Maverick is aware of the issue.

I actually got tired of dealing with the Maverick, at least until they sort out their issues. I ordered a NuTemp. Haven't tried it yet, but the owners report great range...

I couldn't resist taking apart the receiver and comparing it to the Maverick.

NuTemp circuit board photo
(Note from Moderator: Inline photo was 319KB; changed to link. Please see guidelines for posting photos.)

The basic design of the Nutemp receiver is very similar to the Maverick, including the antenna (without the wire). The antenna section looks very very similar (not identical, but close) to the Maverick. If Nutemp gets great range, then the Maverick has the potential also, without adding a wire. Whatever the Maverick's problem is, it isn't adding a wire to the antenna. They either have issues with their transmitter, their tuned receiver circuit/components, or their protocols between the xmitter/receiver.

Whatever Maverick is doing with regard to testing a specific units is only a short=term measure. Their real problem, I would guess, is either a design issue or they have some incorrect components on the ckt boards that is making the radio section less than efficient. This could easily be a transmitter issue, not a receiver issue. I hope they have engaged whoever their engineering team was for this design to drive corrective action. But if the transmitter is the part that has problems, you can replace the receiver all you want and not make any difference. I'd recommend that those of you sending stuff back to Maverick make sure you send both components and get tested transmitters/receivers back to maximize your chance of success.

-gbeck

Not to start something here, and I wasn't going to mention it until I read your post.

I went from a Maverick to the Nu-Temps. To be perfectly honest, I am not impressed with the distance with them as well. Even line of sight distance was not impressive to me. No where near what it is advertised to be. Not much different than the Maverick in my case.

Been using the NuTemp for the past hour, its range is noticably better than my Maverick, with or without any additional antenna wires.

I like the dual Maverick display better, but the NuTemp is certainly easier to use - no on/off switches or whatever to deal with. I guess I'll make it an indoor/outdoor temp guage when I'm not smokin' something.

-gbeck

Has ANYONE heard anything from Maverick? I called 2 days ago and asked Sandra if she had any info on my unit they received on 8/4. I'm guessing they had no record of it because she took my information and said Darren would call back.

I've heard nothing.

I talked to them yesterday. Their "new story" is that the manufacturer (located in China) has indicated that the antenna may not be the problem since antennas are not "required" with certain versions of the software. They believe that there may be a software issue and that an upgraded version of the software may be required in the receivers to resolve the reception issue. However, they are waiting to hear more from the manufacturer before contacting the people who have sent back their units. They hope the know more early next week. In the meantime, they claim that they are going to send me a replacement receiver while they wait to hear from the manufacturer since they have no clue when the manufacturer may get them replacement receivers. I'll post again if/when I receive an interim replacement.

We have to download new drivers for them?
icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Phil S:
We have to download new drivers for them?
icon_smile.gif

It would be great if it were that simple. I suspect it isn't with these units, not least because there doesn't seem to be a USB or serial port for doing this.

I just wish there was a good viable alternative - the messages I have seen from NuTemp users hasn't convinced me that it would be materially better.

Sean

Well...isn't that wonderfull!
I received a bubble mailer from Maverick today. Inside was one receiver. The problem is, I sent them my receiver and transmitter together. Would those of you that have a working transmitter, please turn it on so I can tell if my receiver picks up a signal?

Believe me, Maverick is not as concerned about this as they want you to believe.

I have tried to deal with Meverick for four months. I have paid return shipping costs several times. Each and every time I received a replacement, they were either used, (one was smeared with grease...smelled like baby backs), or completely non functional. And, the last one I sent back, I marked an inside corner with a marker and guess what, as I suspected might happen, I received that one back as the replacement.

Too much time and effort has been spent on this poorly designed or faulty, you call it what you want, product. So, I give up and will move on to better things.

One last comment. For what it's worth, Linens n'Things in my area sold Maverick products. However I noticed the hooks where they had been displayed were empty. The manager told me they no longer carry Maverick products. Go figure !

I received one yesterday as well Phil. It appears to be a new receiver. Supposedly this is just a temporary measure until they figure out the real problem with the units. I'll test it this weekend to see what kind of reception I'm getting.

Just got off the phone with Maverick. They're sending me a new transmitter so I guess the twou units aren't necessarily matched?

Originally posted by Phil S:
Just got off the phone with Maverick. They're sending me a new transmitter so I guess the twou units aren't necessarily matched?

Phil - no, they aren't necessarily matched. I think that is why you have to turn them on at the same time - so they will recongnize eachothers' frequency.

I received an email from Darren asking if my problem was resolved. I told him I sent the whole unit to him and have heard nothing. He found the package, indicated my battery wire was loose and he resoldered. He added an antenna and said he was getting mixed results. He would either repair or replace today.

Even though the product is plagued with problems, I am getting good support so far. The truth will be in how soon I get the new or fixed unit and how well it works.

I've heard of a lot of units out there that are working great, so it would seem our problems are fixable. Maverick is taking a big marketing risk by making us pay postage to fix their problems. I guess that's how the warranty reads, however, I consider the warranty to cover a bad unit, not a bad product.

I tried turning my receiver on first but it didn't do any good. Do you suppose that's because Maverick didn't send me a transmitter?
icon_smile.gif

I just received my ET-73 back from Maverick. Initial test shows it transmits from one end of the house to the other. Also, one end of basement to the other end of first floor works fine. I haven't measured distances, but I am a happy camper. I got the original box back, but don't know whether unit was upgraded or replaced.

I finally got my transmitter back last week and just tested it. There is no improvement in range at all.
icon_frown.gif
If I set the transmitter outside of my back porch, it will not reach even 20 feet into my kitchen.

The new receiver is exactly the same as my old one. The tag inside says 04E3 and there is no antenna.

Would anyone be willing to try an experiment? I would like to have someone who is getting good reception with their units, to try my setup and compare. I would like to send my 2 units to you and find out if the problem is with the units or my house. I'll be happy to send these with postage paid both ways just to find out. If you're interested, please either contact me by clicking on my profile or post a response here.

Since I have become a lurker, I don't catch all of the posts as I once did. Came looking for info on the long leads and found this thread. Will be workin on my Maverick sometime in the next few days.

Thanks to all who posted some very detailed information and some great pics. I have already check my M and it has no antenna that I can immediately identify. Nothing in #7 and out of curiosity, lifted that daughter board and found no connectivity between #5 and #6 on either side of the board.

DAQ...(dumb a$$ question)... is that large integrated horse shoe to the right of #4 s'posed to be the antenna? No where close to 6.5" but just a thought.

Will let you know what my results are in the next few days.

Keith,
When did you order your Maverick?
I've got one on my "Wish List" at Amazon.com, and after reading 9 pages of discussion about the range issue, I'm hesitating to order.

Looked at the Nu-Temp/TVWB promo. Great discount, but 3 transmitters to monitor/alarm high/low? Uh-Uh.

Hi Everyone

I wonder if it has anything to do with window coatings on different houses.Just like a radar detector in a car with metallic tint?

just a thought
Jeff

Back