Maverick et-73 mod

I had a distance problem originally. Got ahold of Darren, sent it in, and it works like a champ now. He tested it prior to sending it back. I haven't found anywhere in the house it does not register now. I later broke a probe and they sent me a new one for free. Good support, poor quality control. Even if they fixed the original problem, the inventory out there probably will have defective units for awhile. If you want the hi/low setting in one probe, less cost than the NuTemp, it might be worth the effort. I got mine from GadgetSource for $39.99 plus shipping. Maybe you could have it delivered to Darren directly to insure the unit works and save one shipping cost.

Hey Jeff,
I thought of that since most of my windows have a Low-E coating. Unfortunately, my unheated back proch does not. The ET-73 will not pick up a signal through the porch walls or windows. Wood frame construction, vinyl siding, no coating on the glass, and a 20 foot range.

The bottom line is I've spent more time and money on this than it's worth. I am not impressed with Maverick's response to this problem that they've had for over a year. From what I read, they have no firm idea of why some units will not work.

Phil, I couldn't agree with you more. Unfortunately these units are manufactured in another country and Darren is doing the best he can. Don't get me wrong, if there were another manufacturer that produced a similar unit I'd buy one at the drop of a hat. Unfortunately I haven't seen one to date that is functionaly similar in nature to the Maverick.

I just added the wire to mine. I got another 10'. I am transmitting through a couple walls right now. As soon as I move it to its new home, I shouldn't have any problems transmitting.

Right now its under an overhang on the house. So its transmitting through a couple concrete and wood walls.

just an update I purchased mine in Jan 2007. It still has no range. I guess I got an old one. NO. They did not make any adjustments to the product in 2 years!!!!

be cool
Paul

I got mine in Nov of 06 and have no problem in the kitchen or my bedroom. Ill try the rest of the house tonight, first time seeing this thread, and let you know by the weekend.

This afternoon I popped the back off and ran the antenna outside of the case and I now can monitor from every room in my house. Before I was limited to my sunroom and had to use a baby monitor to keep tabs on any alarms. This information is great.

Describe the procedure for exposing the antenna. Can a simple wire be attached to it for increasing the range - has anyone attempted that procedure?

Originally posted by tjkoko:
Describe the procedure for exposing the antenna. Can a simple wire be attached to it for increasing the range - has anyone attempted that procedure?

Go to the very first post in this thread!!

JimT

I went ahead and did this mod on my Maverick. Last night I was having trouble getting updates in my office from the porch. After installing this 6.5" antenna, I'm good to go!

Used a piece of 18AWG stranded wire. Tinned the three pads and then tinned the exposed wire cut in length to fit across all three pads. Pre-formed my wire to fit out through a cut out in the side of the case. To solder you set the tinned wire on the tinned pads. Press your soldering iron down on the tinned wire and it will heat the solder to melt the tinned pads.

somegeek_maverick_mod.jpg

Just used small side cutters to cut out one of the vent pieces and then shaved the gap a little so the wire would fit out through it.

This worked well since the bend is behind the stand clip. provides stress relief for the solder joint.

Rx distance is great now as far as my application is concerned.
icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks for posting this mod!

Hi All,
I have just got a NU-701 Simple Wireless Food Thermometer and three NU-751 Simple Wireless Food Thermometer Transmitter and Probe. I already have two Maverick ET-73's and have moded them as above and they work great. I got the Nu-Temp for using in the house but found that because of 4 1/2 foot stone walls they wouldn't work to give the meat temp from the kitchen to the lounge. Same with the Maverick before mod. I opened up one of the Nu-Temp transmitters but couldn't spot the ariel wire. Not knowing enough to take any risks I thought I would ask if anyone has made modifications to a Nu-Temp transmitter and can give me some advice. Hope someone can help.

At some page of this dynamic topic there was discussion about the benefit of just a coil of wire around the receiver that wasn't even attached to the typically used soldering points.

Did anyone ever confirm this benefit?

The whole antenna is controversial, I realize, but I was hoping for a few people that had positive results with the unsoldered wire. Seems even easier than soldering.

Originally posted by Matthew Groves:
At some page of this dynamic topic there was discussion about the benefit of just a coil of wire around the receiver that wasn't even attached to the typically used soldering points.

Did anyone ever confirm this benefit?

The whole antenna is controversial, I realize, but I was hoping for a few people that had positive results with the unsoldered wire. Seems even easier than soldering.

I had the same question. Cut a piece of 14gauge wire 6.5" long and use a rubber band to hold it to the case.

Fantastic! I too was disappointed with my ET transmit distance. After reading all these posts, went down to Ace and got 18 ga stranded wire. Stripped off some insulation, tried to put it in the hole but would not fit,too much wire. So, I just bent away some strands until I got some wire in the hole, closed up the unit, got two cups of water with warm water and ice cube, got the thing going, tested it all the way through the house to my bedroom and it is transmitting through several walls. Am going to try to get it soldered in. Thank you all very much!!
Al

So by page 10 I'm looking for a redux.

Is 6.5in the magic length?

Does it matter whether you use stranded or solid?

Stranded wire stands up better to the rigors of bending and twisting. That's why stranded wire used in automotive applications.

Now do you see the reason why solid wire is used in housing applications, inside of structures?

If you get an antennaless unit, will Maverick not replace it?

I just got mine yesterday, and after reading this thread, my reaction is that the selling price is way too much$ for one to have to modify when still new. Has anyone tried to get Maverick to replace one?

Just a quick observation...I have an ET-7 that gets reception from anywhere in my house...from the basement to the third level (of a split level house). I use one probe to monitor meat and the second probe to monitor the WSM. The wire temp tolerance and temp display ranges are the same as the ET-73. If I need to monitor two portions of meet I just use a candy thermometer for the WSM.
However, since the ET-7 only has an alarm for one temperature setting (not high AND low) it will not be for everyone. But for those who can live without that feature, the ET-7 may be a viable alternative.

Hi,
I have been in the electronics field for 25 yrs, and a WSM cooker for 1 year and Love it!

I can answer some of the questions I have seen posted on the Mavrick modification.

The Mavrick's wireless signal is 433mhz.
The wire modification on this forum is a 1/4 wave length wire antenna.

1.) Yes the wire length is critical!
The length of wire for 433mhz is 17cm (6.7 in) so 6.5inches is close.

2.) The wire size should be 22 awg or larger.
Wire size of 14 awg will work but is a little large. I would be afraid it would put stress on the circuit board and may crack it. I think a wire size of 18 to 22 awg is fine.

3.) The antenna wire should leave the circuit board at 90 degrees like this __|__. If you put a bend in the wire it add impedence the more impedence is added you can have a drop in signal gain. I belive for the purpose of this mod it will not effect the overall signal.

4.) A loop in the wire will not get the signal gain you are looking for. The loop has to be at a perfect size and wraps! Even then the signal will be semi directional and not Omni directional (360 degrees).

5.) soldering the wire is a must. if you layed it on the trace and did not solder it. two things could happen. it could slip and short the output amplifier to the antenna or over time do to the copper it will oxidize and no longer make ample connection to the antenna trace.

I actually peformed the modification on both the Transmitter and Recievers. I am now able to sit in the house from my couch watching TV with a cold beer in my hand and occassionally looking at the timer!
Hope this answers a few of the questions?

Back