Maverick ET 73 Good Report

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Piesik

TVWBB Fan
Just did my first over night cook using this thermometer. I cooked one 6.5# pork butt started cooking at 1 am. Inserted meat probe at begining of cook. Set alarm perameters to 220-255 and meat at 188. After about 2 hours the cooking temp settled in around 237. I went to bed at 3am.with the receiver on my night stand.

I was awakened by an alarm at 8:10 (cooking temp 218 and falling).I went outside opened the vents a little more and used Tongs to tap on the fuel holder,disloging a fair amount of ash. There was still plenty charcole left so I went back to bed.

The alarm woke me up at 11:10. Meat temp was 188..I held it double wraped in foil in a cooler and We ate it 3 hours later. The shoulder turned out very good. Now if some one can figure out a way to remotly fire up the smoker, turn and baste the meat,we will really have somthing. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Now if some one can figure out a way to remotly fire up the smoker, turn and baste the meat,we will really have somthing. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>hehe-- somone on the alt.food.barbeque newsgroup is trying to figure out how to automate the WSM dampers with a thermostat (much to the dismay of the group's resident "purists"). Maybe your wish isn't too far from reality.

Thanks Chris and clark

I think at that price with out some good recomendations from some one who has been able to use the guru for a period of time, I'd have to pass.

Actually I was poking fun at myself for relying on this gadget.

Used the ET 73 for a brisket overnight cook. The divice worked well again no problems except the transmiting distance is closer to 60 feet instead of the advertized 100 feet.
Jim

Jim ...

I agree... I really enjoy my ET-73... The transmiting distance is closer to 50/60 feet...
and I wish the cord to the smoker probe was a little longer ...

...HOWEVER...

I am not that discontented and would buy another one if mine stoped working.. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Cheers!!

bugg /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

My ET 73 arrived this past Saturday and used it on
a brisket on Sunday. Couldn't be happier with it.
It was a 7 hour cook - in the rain for about 5 of those hours. The manual said the transmitter is water proof but I put a sandwich bag over it to be safe. It performed without a single problem never losing connection. Can't wait to do an overnighter with it next weekend! Man, life is good!

Where on line can I get one? I will be getting my Weber smoke at the end of july. I got to survive the 5 in 1 brithday bash my family is having. (I'm of the birthday boys). My wallet is screaming and feels very lite.

I'll second (or third... lost count) both the ET73 and GadgetSource. I ordered from GS a few days before the WSM came, and it showed up - AT THE SAME TIME!!! How great is that! I came from the ECB, so I had no idea how easy and stable the WSM was, and even more impressive - the fact that I could be inside the house doing something else while the cooker cooked away, and I watched the remote. The timer and hi/lo temp alerts seemed overkill to me at first, but they really do come in handy. It's almost unfair, WSM+ET73...

I agree, the distance is definitely less than 100 ft. Only lost signal once, so I had to "re-boot" the devices. I think you may lose signal if you put the transmitter on the side of the smoker facing away from the receiver. Ran great on a 12 hour cook though, very happy with it! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I also had great results with my new ET-73. Worked perfect. Very happy

Mine is still chugging right along with close to 35 hours on the original batteries. And I'll also agree on the 100' distance being an exaggeration, even with a totally clear line of sight. But once you get used to the realities and limitations of it, everything is good. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Well, I sent mine back last week and got the replacement yesterday. I love the unit and hope my problem was just an isolated incident.

Maverick was excellent about replacing the unit and answering my questions.

Had my first smoke with the 73 today. Really nice to have a remote, especially in the meat and at grate level. It did perform to spec. and gets a great word from me.

The only issues are:

1) If the alarm goes off, you have to turn the entire alarm off, but you have to remember to turn it back on. It doesn't stay on, like a regualar timer does.

2) Forget 100 feet. Especially inside the house. Forget going through 2 walls either. /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

3) The transmitter sometimes does not transmit for up to 2 minutes. Maybe a "watch transmitter never transmitts: /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif However, it does flash both thermometer consistantly.

4) Having to run though all the digits if you want to lower the alarm temp...but I can deal with that.

Realistically, for $45 bucks delivered, it's a great deal. Maverick said they were going to increase the length of the wires.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Maverick said they were going to increase the length of the wires. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>My buddy - who I talked into buying one - already burned his wires/probes up by using it in his gas grill. The temp got waaaay too hot. Maverick sent replacements to him and he told me they were "quite a bit" longer. Think I need to burn mine up... /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I called Maverick and asked for longer lead wires so I could use the cook temp probe on the lower grill of the WSM.

They told me they are all one size and longer ones were not available for any reason ??

hummmph....!! ..Jim

After only 1 Q, my meat probe wire started to frey at the edges where it meets the probe. /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif I called Maverick and they are sending a new probe, /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif but my confidence is a bit shot on quality. However, the Customer Service is pretty good.

I suppose with these gadgets, it's touch and go.

I to delivery on a Maverick E73 this week.
My observations echo those who have commented already in this thread.

I would like to offer to extra observations.
Place the probes under your tongue and observe how quickly they finally register 98 degrees.
Therefore this could substitute for a battery operated medical thermometer with a resolution to the nearest degree.
Personally I feel if I had to screen a group of people for an unusual temperature where I was concerned with a SARS victim arriving an infecting others, I would use a handheld lazar temp probe.

You can use the probes to monitor the interior temperature of your computer case which would be useful if you are into hardware hacking.

Now tip two.

I noticed a drop in the wireless connection when my portable telephone rang. This local wireless phone uses frequency hopping in the 2.4 G range..I suspect one of those sub harmonics fell directly on or near the operational frequency of the maverick probe which is near the 70 cm band and desensed the receiver so it dropped the connection. I was not able to reproduce the phenomena but I can't control the frequency hop so this is still inclusive at this point. If you experience a lot of dropped communications between the receiver and transmitter check to see if any device is causing interference.

VH . ki4je

Must be on the same frequency as heart monitors(many hospitals dont allow cell phones for this reason). Ive used this thing 8 times (4 overnighters) without a hitch. But a couple others have reported signal lose too (dropped calls).
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back