Maverick ET 73 Good Report

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just finishing my first smoke with my new ET 73.

Same comments as others. This thing is great. This is a must have item! I have no desire to modify my WSM now....

-matt

I ordered the ET-73 from thegadgetsource.com Monday 7/28 about midday. The big brown truck brought it to my door today, Tuesday 7/29. This is outstanding service, I certainly will buy from again.

Hey,

Y'all have convinced me I want one, but I'm leery of buying from gadgetsource--they don't show up in bizrate.com or at the Better Business Bureau. Their privacy policy seemed so-so. Anybody know if we can find this at a company with a more extensive track record? Thanks!

--Tom

Tom, I just did a google search.Here is a link to one other site there may be more (search"maverick ET-73" )
ultimate chefs store
I have know idea about there rep. Those of us who have purchased from Gadget store seem to have had good dealings. I have
Jim

thegadgetsource has earned my trust 100%........They are located in Asheville NC.
Had a problem with mt first ET 73 the Transmitter was dead on arival.
Called them and they sent a replacement UPS special and a prepaid return for the defective one . No questions asked. 36 hours swapped and no charge.
I was impressed and ordered a ET 73 for my son,
sent to him in a different state...48 hours and he was looking at it.
I like these guys...... Oh and they have real live people answer the phone to help you out.
Jim

I bought mine from thegadgetsource as well. It was delivered quickly, and the price was competitive. I couldn't have been happier with the transaction.

I have to echo all of the good words about thegadgetsource. Ordered mine by phone and it arrived in RI from NC in 48 hours. Ask about USPS Priority Mail. It was cheaper than UPS plus you can get delivery on a Saturday.

Hey,

OK, OK! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif You talked me into it, I'll get it from Gadget Source. Jim B.'s experience with the return was the clincher.

Jim P., thanks for the Google search result. I searched for "et 73", not "et73", so I missed that one. Still didn't have a bizrate listing, so I'll stick with the Gadget Source.

Looking forward to my first overnight cook when I get this! Too bad the remote signal won't reach to my bedroom. I'll have to use a baby monitor to relay the alarm.

--Tom

The Gadget Source is using a Yahoo Store front.

They have 100% good feedback recorded by Yahoo.com users.

They sent me several emails about the purchase and a UPS tracking number that allowed me to check every few hours as to where the package was.

I ordered a Maverick ET 73 via internet on Monday afternoon and got it Wednesday morning in Marietta GA.

I would buy from 'The Gadget Source' again in a heartbeat.

ki4je

PS

I found another neat temperature measuring device in a multifunction digital meter at Sears on sale in Atlanta this week for $89.00. It does many of the neat things a HAM wants plus it came with a K2 probe for contact temp reading and infrared sensor with lazar for remote readings. I used it on a new gas grill to observe temp variations from one spot to another. it was extremely fast and the digital readout is HUGE. I think you could read this device's display in the next county!

The downside is this thing is a BRICK, to large for regular use around a smoker or grill.

Ive had one problem, not a big one. The little rubber gasket on the back of the transmiter (I think its for moisture resistance) keeps popping out every time I open it. I have to sit there and try to get it back into the slot that "holds" it in place. Since I will use a bag when it rains anyway, I think im just going to chuck the gasket.
Its driving me crazy.
Jim

Bought the ET 73 from Gadgetsource on Monday, it arrived on Thursday, (UPS Blue) and I used it today to cook a turkey.

WOW! It was so great to stay inside and continue what I was doing without worrying what was going on in the smoker. I'm still new enough (and having trouble cooking at high altitude) that I was checking every 30 minutes.

With the 73, I continued my work all afternoon and only checked the turkey two times for minor adjustments. The turkey was done to perfection and the family loved it.

My WSM sits on a wooden porch at the South West corner of the house. My office is on the North East corner (1 story, about 4 walls, and 55 feet away). It worked great and never seemed to have trouble receiving.

Cool I'll be ordering mine along with a WSM next week. Hopefully monday I'll recieve my Advanced tax credit from the good old IRS. Then I'll be a happy camper knowing my new WSM & ET 73 will be on it's way shortly/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Can't wait.
Although the wife thinks I'm nuts paying over $60.00 for a thermometer. Oh well she'll get over it when all that great food starts coming off of the WSM.

Just checked Gadget Source and it's even cheaper then I thought! Other websites have them for around $60.00. I'm for sure going to get one now. The guy I work with wants to get one too.

Hey,

Thought I'd let folks know how it all turned out....

OK now I love www.thegadgetsource.com too. I stupidly placed the order less than a week before leaving on a week-long vacation. I called them up the next day to see if I was cutting it too close. They said yes, but they'd hold my order even though it was 10-15 minutes before order ship time. Two days after I got home from my vacation, UPS was at my door. Now that's service.

Also I love my ET 73, which I used this weekend for a butt + brisket smoke. My first brisket! My first overnight smoke, too. Sure did love (and actually needed) having the low-temp alarm. At $40 the ET 73 was a real bargain!

--Tom

I only have 1 negative to report so far.

I had the low temp alarm set, the unit was in the kitchen, and I went out to turn and baste some brisket.

Of course the alarm went of when I removed the lid but I couldn't hear it from outside. My wife went over to the unit and started punching buttons but never got it to turn off. She flipped it around and saw the off switch.

I'm not sure exactly what she did but she broke the on/off switch. Now it won't turn off. The on/off switch is very small and I guess fragile. Be careful with it.

LOL! So Clay, is your negative report about your ET-73 or your wife? /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I recieved the new unit, after having problems losing transmission. Everything went fine until the last 1/2 hour when I lost transmission again...grrrr. I want to try a butt this weekend and am worried about losing transmission during a long cook...
I was hoping I might get some sleep, but right now it's not lookin too good...

Hi, Randy,

If I get too far from the smoker, either of my Maverick remote thermometers will occasionally stop updating or lose registration. I don't have to be that far either, just 30-40 feet away but behind a couple of walls.

It's definitely a pain, since there's no alarm or other warning that your receiver is in the dark and so your alarms are useless.

My solution for worry-free night smokes: keep the receiver units very close to the smoker, and use a baby monitor to forward any alarm sounds into my bedroom. The alarms are loud enough, not even sure the baby monitor is necessary.

--Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back