Manifold resto

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
I know I've read a lot that restoring the manifold is not necessary.....unseen, etc, but I'm endeavoring to do my Genesis 1/2/3K up right/to the nines, so I figured why not? Step 1, I removed the first valve and it cleaned up nicely with my dremel and a variety of brushes.

1628878220983.jpeg

Then I took it apart, and I think I might know why the valves weren't feeling quite so smooth.....that's some gunky stuff in there!!!!

1628878237652.jpeg

No worries, I'll do a solvent soak, get it all cleaned up, then a touch (yes, I'm listening Larry!) of black moly brake grease. Should be good as new. While I'm at it, I'll clean up the rest of the manifold, and hit it with a few coats of paint. :)

Having fun!

R

Had all hands meetings all day, so, by the magic of noise cancelling headphones, I was able to listen into those while wielding my dremel. I found the EZ472SA mini flap wheel to be the best combination of ease of gunk removal and impact to the soft brass. I still need to get some solvent on these to dissolve the remnants of the sludge that someone put in there for lubricant, and then I'll get them put back together.

1628893051538.jpeg

Oh, and I have each set of valve parts in a separate, numbered bag so that I can keep them together. Next up is the manifold itself.....that's gonna need the grinder, VHT rust encapsulator, then some paint!!

R

Had all hands meetings all day, so, by the magic of noise cancelling headphones, I was able to listen into those while wielding my dremel. I found the EZ472SA mini flap wheel to be the best combination of ease of gunk removal and impact to the soft brass. I still need to get some solvent on these to dissolve the remnants of the sludge that someone put in there for lubricant, and then I'll get them put back together.

View attachment 34762

Oh, and I have each set of valve parts in a separate, numbered bag so that I can keep them together. Next up is the manifold itself.....that's gonna need the grinder, VHT rust encapsulator, then some paint!!

R
Nice Rich! Yours is the goal I will strive for but will probably not meet. 😆

Wow, Rich, you better keep some pictures of your beautiful work before you cover it up with a control panel😲!

Wow, Rich, you better keep some pictures of your beautiful work before you cover it up with a control panel😲!
I'm taking pics along the way, Jon. I'll post a full restore thread once I get a finished product, but will drop some tidbits in this forum along the way if there's anything interesting to share.

I did get the grinder out and take my manifold down to bare steel (well, I actually did two of them since I had the tools out.) Got to use my Harbor Freight copy of the Jawhorse for the first time.....VERY helpful tool! No pics of the manifold yet, as I need to sand it smooth so it's ready for painting.

R

Missed a spot.
t0sG1c6.jpg

Ok, ok, so I'm kind of a newbie at the angle grinder, and the disc I bought was a bit aggressive (a bit?!??!) However, since this is a mostly unseen part, I'm ok with the swirls, etc that I left in the material. I actually think it gives it some character! What's most important, is this thing is rust free, and coated in four coats of high heat paint. I'll give it at least a couple of days to fully cure, then I'll get the valves reinstalled for a test drive.

1628980596715.jpeg

Sometimes, things just don't go as planned. Wish I'd noticed this broken thread before I went to the trouble of cleaning this valve up! Oh, well, I'll drop the remaining parts in the bin......if anyone needs some valve pieces, let me know. :) Oh, and I have more valves. Just pulled one apart and dropped it in some solvent to soak while I go to happy hour next door! :)

1629068640489.jpeg

....and, she's all done, doped up and ready to burn some meat!!! I enjoyed this completely unnecessary project (well, the cleaning/lubing was necessary, but the beautification was not.) Only I will likely know it looks good, but that's good enough! :)

1629080962647.jpeg

1629080975023.jpeg

1629081004753.jpeg

I'm working on my manifold right now. I wasn't going to do anything to it, but there was quite a bit of rust on it. I was too afraid to take the valves out though, figured I would break them.16291480758101308424310360664438.jpg

Looks good, Steve! As you can see above, I did break one, but am lucky to have spares I pulled off a manifold that was trashed (rusted through!) Yours is coming along!!

R

@Steve Hoch, oh yeah! Beautiful! A new, unofficial TVWBB club.....all you need is a bright, shiny manifold to join! :)

Looks great!

Did you clean the valves in place, or remove them? Doesn't look like you broke any! :)

R

Back