Man on Fire

Bill Schultz

TVWBB Hall of Fame
As Denzel says in one of my all time favorite movies " I wish you had more time "
Well I did not have time, was going to do a smoked picnic butt today for the family as promised, but two graduation parties in a row last night prevented me from getting every thing done and prepped for an over night cook.
So trying my first pork butt AND trying my first HH Butt.
So far this is how its going.
8.4 Picnic, trimed and injected and rubbed this morning at about 9am

Got the WSM ready using Royal Oak Lump cause it cooks hotter for me, using hickory only this smoke, left over KB in a bag in the chimney for a start.

On the grate with probe in at 1040 am, fat side down and a little more dry rub sprinkled on top

Got the WSM at 350 at the grate thermometer, going to tone that down to 325 once everything settles in, shooting for nice bark hopefully around 155-160 and foiling in a aluminum pan and sealing with some apple juice, apple cider vinegar inside and back on to fork tender loose bone around 190 or so.

That is the game plan anyhow. Any other suggestions would be much appreciated.
Bill

So here is the skinny so far, this high heat stuff is a little trickier I think, went and cleaned the pool, had a beer, did some other stuff and just under four hours in the temp internal is 158 and there is a nice bark on her. So put it in a foil pan, poured in my concoction of ACV, AC, a little Worcestershire and back on the heat covered and sealed in a lightly tented foil top.

You guys can just call me Master of the Temp from now on. LOL. I've gotten this Sweetheart where I wanted her every time and kept her there in spite of wind rain hot sun etc. I love this WSM, makes me look good in spite of myself

This is hard work, so a little original Pilsner from some of the best in the world.

Done. Internal climbed much quicker foiled. No plateau to speak of. Started checking at internal 190. At 201 degrees the skewer slipped through very nicely and the big bone will slide right out if pulled good, broke free with a gentle tug.
Foiled back up and in the Igloo with blankets. Will pull around 6pm when kids get home. In@ 1040am and done at 3:40 pm.

Last edited:
So just got done with a fantastic meal, Gourmet Cole Slaw and pulled pork with some potato rolls. The pork came out super tender, fat rendered out very well even though it was a high heat method. Used the Au Jus from the pan and some apple cider vinegar to act as a finishing sauce. Used some Blues Hog as a mix in very lite, and on the side to dress as you want.
Very happy, was worried about it but it came out fantastic.
Thanks for looking
Bill

Bill great cook and photos! Sometimes I think we get too focused on LNS. Growing up most cuts of meat I ate were oven baked at 325-350 and it worked then, glad to see it can still work :)
Just did not taste as good as it does in a WSM :wsm:

Thanks Guy's, again it is the result of all the info you can gather here. My 21 yo Son is the pulled pork aficionado in the house along with my 23 yo Daughter. They said it the best they have had so that makes me happy right there.

Back