Making tallow any tips?

DanHoo

TVWBB Olympian
I'm making tallow for the first time.

Any tips? I did some reading on the internet for a few mins.

Started with 5 lb 11oz brisket fat.

It's been on for 2.5 hours. I'm planning to keep it going until the bubbles stop.

Tips? Suggestions?

20240210_130708.jpg
20240210_160715.jpg

I never use tallow when smoking a brisket, however, I don't go crazy on trimming the fat, same with a pork shoulder. I would have saved some of that fat for sausage making.

LAS in a covered sauté pan. It’ll be golden when done. Let cool then pour over into container and fridge it.

Last edited:
I was thinking L&S at about 225 in the oven?
I don’t have a lot, but doing the mixed media idea, pot of water and add the trimmings then skim after letting it cool. Bad idea?

Yield was about six cups from 5 lbs 11 oz.

I filtered through mesh then through a gold coffee filter. It looked a little cloudy so I'm filtering the jar on the left with paper but it's going slow and cooling off.

Is the gold coffee filter enough?

20240210_180728.jpg

Yield was about six cups from 5 lbs 11 oz.

I filtered through mesh then through a gold coffee filter. It looked a little cloudy so I'm filtering the jar on the left with paper but it's going slow and cooling off.

Is the gold coffee filter enough?

View attachment 86333
I've filtered and not filtered. when I filter, it's through a double layer of paper towel laid down in my med/fine mesh strainer.

Looks great, Dan!

R

I was thinking L&S at about 225 in the oven?
I don’t have a lot, but doing the mixed media idea, pot of water and add the trimmings then skim after letting it cool. Bad idea?
That'll work, Tim. I like to pretend I get a bit of smoke flavor from the grill if I do it there, but I'm not sure it's much (if any), so would do the oven, too, with no apprehension!

I haven't done the "mixed media" approach, so no comment on that (other than it works great without, so maybe more fuss than needed?)

R

You guys usually make it outside?
I grew up in the back of the yards and the tallow gave the neighborhood a distinct smell and not in a good way.

After 3 hours on the stove indoors there was an aroma, but not a bad one. Not really good either.

Next time I'll try the crock pot outside.

I usually do it in the kitchen. Not a lot of room in my smokers - even in the offset because I'd have to put it too close to the firebox. BTW, the Chud Press is awesome for melting beef fat! Re filter, I've done it with no filter and also through a fairly fine mesh. Definitely prefer the filter. Haven't tried a paper towel. It came out very clean just using the fine mesh though! Came out very white - not white as snow but pretty white. Low and slow is definitely key, as Rich says. Re smell, I like the smell as long as it's low and slow. I think it's a nice smell. If you're not paying attention or you're not patient and it gets too hot - not a good smell! You can also buy tallow on Amazon.

Back