Make Your Own Wooden Lid Handle

This place ROCKS, where else can you find great info, friendly Qers, and a boss who listens. I love it here. Thanks to all who contribute.

Mark

Now where's my raise?
icon_biggrin.gif

I was just thinking it would be great if someone with time and woodworking skills could start making these out of exotic woods and sell them here. Maybe even find a way to add lettering to them.

Originally posted by Shaun R:
I was just thinking it would be great if someone with time and woodworking skills could start making these out of exotic woods and sell them here. Maybe even find a way to add lettering to them.

There is a member here, named Jason, whom I bought a wooden handle from. Haven't heard from him in a while but perhaps someone knows him and we could "convince" him to do more. I will send him an EMAIL.

Mark

I've got some cedar left over from a project. I'll be making a couple as soon as it turns warm again!

Originally posted by Shaun R:
I have some ideas about this and will make a few phone calls.

Regards,
Chris

Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Shaun R:
I have some ideas about this and will make a few phone calls.

Regards,
Chris </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Standing by with credit card ready to order...

Someone needs to fabricate a branding iron to put the logo onto the handle after it's finished. Or, a metal stencil with the design - place the stencil over the handle, run a propane torch over it just long enough to char the exposed wood. I think the laser cutting tools used to make metal signs could easily make either the branding iron, or the stencil.

Sounds great Chris. By the way, if we need an engraver for any reason I am friends with the owner of Tanners engraving on Race St.

Thanks for the schematics! I just finished the bottom half out of some bocote I had. Will try to finish the top and post up pics tomorrow.

Here are the bocote handles. I deviated from the plans for the top half as I did not think the end chamfers looked as good. I may try replicating the teak style top half as it looks slightly better to my eye.
WSM%20Handle%20Mod

Mike, those handles look beautiful. 1000% improvement over the stock handle. Assuming they were not wood.
Nice job!

Mark

Originally posted by mk evenson:
Mike, those handles look beautiful. 1000% improvement over the stock handle. Assuming they were not wood.
Nice job!

Mark

Thanks Mark. The quality plans made it easy to replicate.

Great job Mike. I have some pieces of Purple Heart, Padauk, Walnut, and Maple. Guess I need to get busy. Thanks for sharing.

Back