Magic Dust marinated pork loin

Brett-EDH

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Costco had a sale, $4 off each loin. So yeah, with the price of beef, I’m motivated for a sale.

Dry rubbed it in my own Magic Dust for 12 hours. Set up the E6 for indirect cooking with JD XL.

Shooting for 145° internal temp and then will rest and slice it.

I froze the other half for another meal. And stole two slices which I made some moo shu pork with for lunch.

Going to pan roast some Cauli with EVOO and seasoning. Pop a red open and enjoy this cook.

1635037402392.jpeg

1635037463690.jpeg

1635037485291.jpeg

Attachments

• 1635037426887.jpeg
    1635037426887.jpeg
    277.1 KB · Views: 0
Looks good. Maybe pull at 140 and let carry over get to 145? Last one I cooked to 145 was not as tender as I like.

That looks absolutely outstanding. Totally want that...Great cook.
thank you. it really was pretty good. i'm thinking a 48 hour marinade might do it even better next time and then a real heavy coating of the rub prior to placing on the grill. like really pressing in he rub and putting a lot on it. the rub melted in nice and had a gentle bark on it. really a 10/10 on this cook, IMO. go for it! it's about the only meat that's reasonably priced right now, sans chicken breasts and thighs ($1.99 and $1.29 per pound, respectively).

Not to “rain on your parade” I would like to interject with a different approach; brining vs. marinade. Chicken breast, pork loins/chops are very -lean cuts of meat. They have the potential to dry out quickly when cooked for even just a couple minutes too long. When soaked in a brine solution — a mixture of salt and liquid — the meat not only takes on additional flavor, but also additional moisture, & with that, the brine method has been my “go-to” approach.

Not to “rain on your parade” I would like to interject with a different approach; brining vs. marinade. Chicken breast, pork loins/chops are very -lean cuts of meat. They have the potential to dry out quickly when cooked for even just a couple minutes too long. When soaked in a brine solution — a mixture of salt and liquid — the meat not only takes on additional flavor, but also additional moisture, & with that, the brine method has been my “go-to” approach.
Good points. On this cook I applied my dry rub and placed the rubbed loin in a ziplock. The rub has salt which definitely penetrated the meat and the other flavors followed. The liquid that was produced from this dry brine was similar to when I cure salmon.

Interestingly the loin held its juices well. In fact very well. After resting it for 10 mins and then slicing, you can see the liquid the loin gave up to the plate.

No waste though. I used that jus over the meat and rice and all was good.

From this cook, I’d definitely not cook this loin over 140°F (TY @DanHoo) and would even recco pulling at 135-137° and letting the roast rest 20 mins next time.

I could def see using a wet brine but in this case the loin rendered its own juices from the bagged rub and took those rub flavors into the meat.

Tried a pork loin with a wet brine (salt,water, peppercorns, bay leave, garlic and cut apples). Of course, I overdid mine. Got side tracked and internals hit 154 in spots. Was still juicy but could have been better. Bought the large one at Costco too so I have some in the freezer for a later date.

Attachments

• 1D01185B-03EC-41CF-B384-DA847B3C0B0C.jpeg
    1D01185B-03EC-41CF-B384-DA847B3C0B0C.jpeg
    237.6 KB · Views: 5
  • C710548B-4A21-496C-B705-2DDD9C42D370.jpeg
    C710548B-4A21-496C-B705-2DDD9C42D370.jpeg
    177.7 KB · Views: 5
Tried a pork loin with a wet brine (salt,water, peppercorns, bay leave, garlic and cut apples). Of course, I overdid mine. Got side tracked and internals hit 154 in spots. Was still juicy but could have been better. Bought the large one at Costco too so I have some in the freezer for a later date.
Looks pretty good to me!

Back