Lynched Chicken on the WSM

Karl Repsher

TVWBB Fan
After drooling over Jim Lampe's high hung chicken thread I knew that would be tonight's dinner, I drilled a hole in the lid and used a stainless eye bolt I had left over from the Santa Maria build to suspend the bird over the enfer, I also cut a rotisserie bar I had hangin' round to length and drilled a hole to hold the S hook.

I brined the bird Thursday night, rinsed it this morning and left it in the fridge all day to dry the skin.

Fired up the lump using the Boy Scout method, coals are burning nice and hot and using some guava wood for the smoke.

Lynched chicken with a little help from my bride, heavily dusted with the cinnamon-cumin rub from this site.

I let the bread machine do it's thing this afternoon, a loaf of Garlic Blues Bread sliced Texas Toast style.

WMS held 375° for 75 minutes, then bumped the temp to 415° for 15 minutes, pulled the bird at an IT of 195° in the thigh, I've learned the brining allows me the high IT temps without drying out the meat and it just falls off of the bone.

My dear bride steamed some fresh green beans with bacon on top to go along with the yard bird.

Toasted the Texas Toast on the Genesis and ready to eat, wish you were here.

The chicken was very juicy and would of made delicious pulled chicken sammies with sun-dried tomato mayo, yum, if I hadn't already cut the toast, ...next time for sure, 'cuz we'll be doing this again!

Oh yeah, the smell of chicken grease burning coming out of the smoker, ...I'm sure the neighbors were...

Thanks Jim and Gary for the inspiration and thanks all for stopping by,

Karl

Last edited:
Awesome looking bird! Dunno if i would have the nerves to drill in my lid just to make it happend..but hey. Lampe has a bad impact on most of us :D

Looks delicious Karl, how much difference do you think it makes hanging the bird from say on the grate or a rotisserie?

Thanks all for the compliments,

Wolgast, it doesn't take nerve, just a steady hand and a center punch and a hammer, after that the hard part is over, besides, it's challenging to fabricate something like this.

However, it's a two person operation to load and unload the bird, I built the hanger fast and dirty as the fire was starting because I wasn't sure the bent kabob hook wouldn't tear out of the breast bone, the support that Gary and Jim used is probably the best way to go.

Bill, I rotisserie on the Genesis and because of the proximity of the fire it has to be cooked at low temps or otherwise it's carbonized, since I brine all of our chicken so as not to dry out the meat both ways are good, this is kinda like the roadside chicken concept and I get to start a fire with one match. LOL

Jim, what can I say, guilty as charged, ...but it's so much fun!

Again, thanks all for the kind words,

Karl

Ya know guys, I had to come back from work to say this, ...I was thinking about how we can be so easily influenced by what we see here, myself included with the idea of suspending a chicken, however, this is not the best way to do this, I'm afraid I'm the bad influence here and not Jim, the cover was at 415°, very hot, I was wearing heat proof gloves and I had my bride covered with heat proof gloves that went to her elbows while removing the chicken, so with saying that I don't advise anyone doing it this way, the potential for being burned is very great and I wouldn't want to be the cause of anyone being hurt, so please, build a support like Gary or Jim did.

Chris, I apologize for posting something dangerous so could delete/remove this thread?

Karl

Back