Lump ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott White

I am curious as to the benefits of using lump instead of Kingsford. Is it a matter of burn time or is it a flavour issue? I am currently in the process of my 4th smoke, with 2 picnic shoulders on the bullet at this time. (15 hours and still holding at 225 pit temp,179 on the picnics)
I have used the MM with sand for each of the smokes, and have finally reached a comfort level in obtaining and maintaining cooking temps. With that said, what benefits can I expect by changing to lump?
Thanks
Scott

Scott,

There is a lot of discussion on lump vs briquet and advocates for both. Do a search and you will find volumes of discussion on the topic. For most it boils down to what works for us. I happen to use Kingsford charcoal, but might consider buffalo dung if that was all I had (ok, well maybe not.
icon_rolleyes.gif
).

It's kind of like politics. There are small groups making a lot of noise on splinter issues (oh, I just made a pun) at the edge, but most of us spend our time putting food on the table. In this case, good BBQ.

This topic is debated as much as the lit verses unlit charcoal dedate. I use both Kingsford and Lump. I prefer Lump when using the kettle. Some pepole have sensitive taste buds and therefore do not like briquetts. Some are turned off from the smell of it burning. The list goes on and on. Like Chet said it's a matter of preference and what works for you. I'm doing a 18.5 lb chuck roll over Royal Oak Lump today. Started it last night at 10:00 pm est. Still going strong and there plenty of lump left in the ring. Last week i did a chuck roll over Kinsford gonna see if i can taste a difference. Pick up a bag and see if you like it and post the results. You won't be shunned if you stray from Kinsford.
icon_wink.gif
Bryan

Chet, I hear you. Taste, Cooking ease and function, Smell, are all subjective and bias'd towards individual preferences. If it works, and the results are good, then go with what works for you.
But Bryan, you hit on the thing that is still bothersome to me. I feel, think, or imagine, that I taste the unlit charcoal. I have not had any one else in my family mention it, and they all love my Q, But I still think its there. Maybe it's just in my head....
I'll be interested to see if you notice any difference between the two chuck rolls you have done with lump vs. Kingsford. Please post your results.
I have also thought of trying the standard lighting method instesd of the minion, but I don't want to have to babysit a smoker all night. The Minion method + the ET73 = a good nights sleep!!!!
Thanks all
Scott

Scott, IMO there's nothing like the sweet smell of lump. Kinsford is cheaper more convenient to use/all the same size/no dust or little chips. There's pros and cons with both. If you are ofended by the smell and or taste of Kingsford then give a bag of lump a try. Bryan

I know by competing for years and having my food blind judged that Kingsford work just fine.
I always have lump charcoal on hand for grilling or hot cooking smoking poultry.

Let me say if you put a flame under Kingsford will put off the smell folks have a problem with, but if you have unlit under hot coals that smell is not present.

db stated on Basso's forum the other day the easiest explanation I have ever heard for this case. The fact that you have hot coals on top they burn off all he gases that cause the smell. If you start with hot coals and put unlit on top this may not be the case and you could have that smell.

After competing twice this year with a 3rd overall finish (6 points off the lead) and 2nd in the other (1.75 total off first) Kingsford is still working just fine.

If you don't like your results with Kingsford then Lump is a great product to try.
Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim Minion:
db stated on Basso's forum the other day the easiest explanation I have ever heard for this case. The fact that you have hot coals on top they burn off all he gases that cause the smell. If you start with hot coals and put unlit on top this may not be the case and you could have that smell. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Back at the end of July, when we were debating the pros & cons of Kingsford, I wrote:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>There was a recent barbecuing episode of "Unwrapped" on the Food Network which featured the Kingsford charcoal production process.

You could see that the materials were mixed into a product looking like loose asphalt, which was pressed in molds, released from the mold, and allowed to dry before packaging.

It appeared that the ingredients in the product were homogenous. In other words, it did not appear that "bad stuff" was applied only to the outside of the briquette which burns off at the beginning of the cook. If the ingredients are homogenous, then it would seem that the product is continuously releasing a whole bunch of gases from beginning to end.

Which then begs the question, why does it smell so bad in the beginning but not later? My guess is that once things get really hot, the bad smell is consumed by the heat of the fire. Just my guess. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds like we're both thinking and saying the same thing.

Regards,
Chris

Jim and Chris, what you are saying makes sense. Being new to this whole process, I doubt that if in a blind taste test, I would even be able to taste a difference. Probably a head thing for me.
I am bright enough to figure that if there was a measurable, consistent difference between using Kingsford or Lump, that Jim, Paul,Chet and others competing on a regular basis, would certainly take advantage of that competitive edge. I really like the ease, price and availabity of using the Kingsford, and like I said in my previous post, that it coupled with the MM make an all night Q'ing an enjoyable experience. However, At some point I will probably try lump to see how I like it.

I just took off my 2 picnic's and have them resting, so I am anxious to see how these turn out. They cooked for 18 hours, using the MM, over sand. It gets easier each time I do it!
I did switch to applewood for the first time, and looking forward to seeing how it compares to the hickory and oak that I have been using. I also utilized a rub then slathered one shoulder with mustard, and rubbed and slathered the other in Applebutter. Don't know how it will taste,but it made a great bark.
Lets see.... Dinner in about an Hour...Yall come on down.
Thanks
Scott

Scott,

I'm flattered that you would include me in such an august group as Jim and Paul, but I do not participate in BBQ competitions. I only cook for myself and friends. I did participate in something of a competition this weekend, and it was a LOT of fun, but it wasn't KCBS sanctioned.

Here is how it worked. Within our group, we each bring something to prepare on the grill. Anything you want. We're all out in the middle of nowhere with our motorhomes and going to the store for incidentals is not only impractical, it's against the rules.

The wrinkle here is that we each draw lots to determine who cooks what. You eat what you brought, but someone else is going to prepare it using only the seasonings and sides they brought. We do get to share cookbooks.

Points are awarded during dinner based on the purely arbitrary criteria of which meal attracted the most envy at the table. Each diner votes for three favorites. The first place winner and last place "loser" are each awarded a traveling trophy.

After a brief cleanup, the rest of the night is spent drinking, bragging, and playing poker.

This years winner was a butterflied leg of lamb with anchovy and proscioutto. I drew a couple of sirloin steaks and prepared them with a black olive and garlic butter. The "loser" drew hamburgers, but prepared them with a blue cheese butter and the report was that they were "amazing".

Hey Chet - That sounds like a lot of fun. Plus what a great way to enjoy some creative eats.
Just curious... Do you carry your bullet on the motorhome? You never know when you draw lots to see what you cook, you might end up with a butt or brisket. Of course you would need a little head start to have it finished on time...

Scott

I can't believe my eyes! Another Hobie sailor. I'm the past commodore of Fleet 32 in Virginia Beach, VA.

Do we all migrate to BBQ?

MikeZ

OK - well OT, but this is "just conversation"
I'm not a Hobie sailor - I've had to dodge a few in Poole harbour (UK) and I question their sanity, looks fun if you can get away with it though!

The grilling competiton sounds good too - wonderful idea. As children we had a rule when camping - anyone who complains about their food has to give it to the cook.

James

Too funny, Chet and Mike. I currently have only a Laser, but was active in C-15s in the mid - late 80s, and got triple bullets in the B fleet in the High Sierra regatta at Huntington Lake my second year sailing.

Since then I've done a couple of bareboat charters with the Moorings in the BVI. Now, that's one vacation! It is nothing short of excellent!

Just have to figure out how to get a WSM down there next time...
Mark

There is no such thing as "only a Laser". That is a fun little boat. I've raced them before but at 6'6" tall I was never very competetive in that class.

Funny you should mention charter. I'm heading down to Belize the last half of October for a week of sailing, and then further south to Puerto Quetos, Costa Rica. It's off season and might be a little wet, but it is a warm rain.

Scott, this is a matter of eternal debate.

I mostly use Kingsford, but sometimes use Mequite Lump. As far as flavor is concerned, light up a batch of KF and a batch of Lump and see if you can detect a difference. I think the Mesquite smells better than the KF, and I think it flavors the meat a little better. But it's only a couple of percentage pts better; not really a make it or break it thing. You should try the test yourself and see if you can detect much difference.

Lump produces less ash, and works better in those many smokers that suffer from ash-smothering. The WSM is NOT one of those smokers, but a lot of smokers have no place for the ash to go and it smothers the charcoal and makes temperature control very difficult. So Lump is preferred for those smokers since it produces so little ash. But, like I said, the WSM isn't one of those smokers and KF works great in the WSM.

When I have used Lump, it seems like it's harder to light and harder to control the temp than KF. KF is steady and stable. Lump is more volatile and I can get pretty big temp spikes with it.

So I have to balance the practical advantage of KF being easier to control (especially on long smokes) vs Lumps slightly better flavor. For me, the jury is still out.

A lot of people split the difference by using half and half, letting the KF buffer the heat output while still getting the better flavor of the lump. I am not sure if that works, though, because I think the flavor difference is because of bad chemical odors from the KF, and you haven't eliminated those. But, it's worth trying out sometime and see if you like that better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back