Lump Explosion!

Erich K

TVWBB Fan
I don't know if anyone else has had this experience, but I bought a bag of lump charcoal (Royal Oak brand), and decided to cook up some chicken thighs yesterday. I got the chimney going with the lump, and after awhile a loud "bang" came from it. It happened a few other times, and the last time it happened the chimney tipped over, and I shoveled the coals back in
icon_redface.gif
. My neighbors must have thought I was started July 4th a few months early! Fortunately, I wasn't anywhere near the chimney when the lump blew. After I got the WSM going, no more pyrotechnics and the chicken turned out fine. Anyone else have this kind of experience
icon_eek.gif
with lump before??

wow. that is kind of frightening. Serious fire and burn hazard there...

what was the chimney sitting on? was it on something really stable? was the bottom so stuffed with newspaper or something on the botton that it didn't sit flush?

I certainly get a BANG! out smoking too, but NOT like that!
icon_eek.gif

I know wood sometimes pops and crackles (happens all the time in my fireplace) but this sounds way out of the ordinary.

Tony

By the time it started popping, the newspaper was burned up; it was on somewhat of an uneven surface (concrete slab). We'll see what happens on the next cook. Another good reason to have a fire extinguisher on hand!!
icon_eek.gif

The last bag of Royal Oak Lump that I bought contained a rock about the size of a softball.
I didn't notice it until I poured the coals into my grill --- clunk! It was cherry red, but cooled really fast. No more lump for me, I'm sticking with Kingsford.

Charles, I hear ya'

I have read many posts on various sites where people have found all kinds of "stuff" in their lump. I'm sticking with Kingsford too.

Tony

Did you notice any damage to the concrete? Concrete is somewhat porous and moisture within the concrete could have been boiled by the heat, causing the "pop". Anyone who was ever in the Boy Scouts knows that you don't use rocks from the river to make a fire ring, for the same reason.

Larry,
That's an interesting theory...The concrete is pretty old and cracked anyway, and just the heat from the ignited coals made that spot a little more cracked. Hard to say. Next time I'll try it in the ring. (and probably stick with Kingsford or some other lump after this bag!)

Larry-

Another good reason to frequent here all the time! Thanks for the boy scout tidbit - I stopped at Webelo's (sp? - it's been a while
icon_wink.gif
) - I never knew that about not using rocks from the river - surprised this hasn't happened to me before - I've done a lot of camping/backpacking and have built many campfire rings - dumb luck I guess that this hasn't happened to me before...

Thanks for the info!

There was a thread on chimneys on concrete a year or so ago. I remember something about the chimney being on an expansion joint causing the concrete to explode or something to that effect. I placed a hot chimney on my brand new 1 year old driveway so I could ready the WSM for it and before I got back, POW! I now have a divot in my concrete driveway!
icon_mad.gif
And it was well away from expansion joints... Live and learn

Ok, New guy here. I have followed this site for a long time, and it is Great! I finally found a reason to post, and post right NOW! It is very dangerous to have fire directly on concrete. The concrete itself can blow up! I was in a welding class and a student put down his torch on the concrete. The teacher jumped out of his shorts! Yes, the concrete started to Pop violently with shards flying every where. Now, a chimney of charcoal is not as hot as a torch, but I saw it first hand that day, that concrete blows up!

My goodness!
icon_eek.gif
I had no idea! I have seen many pictures of people with their smoking charcoal starter sitting on top of the charcoal grates - now I understand why. I wonder if they really do. I mean, I do mine that way simply because that is all I have seen. But before now, if I thought I had a reason to set the thing on the concrete I would have because I did not know! Now, this is good information - and possibly life-saving!
icon_eek.gif

Tony

Thanks for all the guys...and thanks Chris for adding this. I hadn't read anything about concrete reacting to heat like that on this site, so I just figured it was some bad lump! I'll put the chimney on the grate next time, and hopefully no more surprises!

I never ever sit my chimney on concrete! I usually put in on the grate, or if I'm gettin coals ready to add I sacrafice a spot in my crappy grass. Hey, it grow back fast in TN anyway!

I use an old smokey joe to start my chimney in. That way I can get the fire started while I'm getting the WSM set up.

This an old idea off this forum (I think). Get a large driveway drip pan made from sheet metal. It will cost you about $15-$20. Use it under your bullet and under your chimney. It reflects, conducts and otherwise dissipates the heat and protects whats underneath. You can also place the greasy lid on it when tending to the cooking. It keeps the patio surface neat and free from grease stains.

Jim

Back