Low temp problems...

Bill S.

TVWBB Pro
Having trouble getting temp to stay at 250, using full ring and 14-15 lit coals minion method. I let it get up to 235 (grate) or so then close vents down a bit, and it barely rises, end up opening them all back up and then it will barely crack 250. It stayed there for maybe an hour. Its already back down to 235. Started the cook 2.5 hours ago. I've had this issue with all 4 or 5 cooks I've done with my new WSM. Never had this issue with by previous WSM, I've always used this same method, on my old smoker, I'd only have to let it get to 225 and even close two vents down totally,
and it would creep up to 250 and stay there. I could get a brisket, or butt done with one full ring. On my new one I've gone through a full ring and have had to add coals every time. Its not overly cold or breezy either today, 47 and no breeze to speak of...Any Ideas?

I would suspect the charcoal. Are the old and new WSM's the same size? If so, I'm back to the charcoal. Has anything changed there. Old charcoal may have drawn moisture.

Could your fuel be damp? (Try breaking a briq in half by hand. If it breaks quite easily, it's damp). Been there a couple of weeks ago.
Are the unlit being stifled by drippings? (That has happened to me before using the Firedial).

I would suspect the charcoal. Are the old and new WSM's the same size? If so, I'm back to the charcoal. Has anything changed there. Old charcoal may have drawn moisture.
It's been with 3 different bags of charcoal, and they are kept in the house. I had my original 18" back in 04', that got pretty beat up in a move in 17', and I got out of smoking after that until I bought a new one 3-4 months ago. Only thin I can think of is maybe not as well seasoned yet. I've only done 5 cooks, a couple briskets, a butt, wings and a small pastrami.. I no longer have a windscreen (yet), but I'd think a breeze would drive temps up anyway.

Usually people complain of higher temps if the WSM isn't seasoned. 5 cooks it should be ok.
47deg ambient temp is quite cool. Possibly you didn't have enough lit briqs to start with in the 18. I also use about 14 lit briqs, but that's on a 14.
What are you cooking?

Usually people complain of higher temps if the WSM isn't seasoned. 5 cooks it should be ok.
47deg is quite cool. Possibly you didn't have enough lit briqs to start with in the 18. I also use about 14 lit briqs, but that's on a 14.
What are you cooking?
Got about an 8-9pound brisket in doing its thing, its actually getting done quick for temps of 235-245. Its at 192 already, less than 6 hours in, wrapped in butcher paper at 170.

Looks to me like you're on track, albeit a bit ahead of schedule. Have a cocktail.
I think it may have something to do with the weather in Saratoga. Cloudy and damp.
Same here. :rolleyes:

Well last week I did a couple of chicken halves, and went without the waterbowl. I put maybe 4-5 extra lit in than I usually do, around 17-18 total. It shot right up to 235-240, I closed 2 vents and left 1 cracked. It snuck up to 250 or so, then I closed that one. It hung at 250-260 the rest of the day. When I got home from work the next day, there were still coals that were going 28+ hours later. So not sure if the no water bowl, extra lit coals made the difference, or the warmer outside temps. But it was like having my old one back in action...lol

Back