Low Effort Pulled Pork for the 4th

Dustin Dorsey

TVWBB Hall of Fame
qvpLvWml.jpg

I smoked a 9 pound pork but on the 22.5 inch WSM for the 4th. Seasoned with Meat Church Holy Gospel. I used peach chunks.

I cheated and used the Signals/Billows for an overnight cook. I ran at 225 from about 9 til 6 in the morning, then I cranked it to 250 and wrapped to finish it around noon.

After I pulled off the pork and had it resting in the cooler, I threw on some jalapeno popper sausage. By this point the smoke was depleted. The trick is finding the hot part of the charcoal to throw another chunk on. I switched to an apple chunk just to mix it up.

8QWnbVdl.jpg

WSM doing it's thing.

Finished pulled pork. In keeping with the laziness theme I forgot to take some plated pics. I served it on Hawaiian slider buns with some Franklin vinegar sauce.

It was good to fire up the WSM again. In a few weeks I'm planning another brisket on the Franklin pit.

Dustin, I am completely on board with the “lazy tendency”! I’m not one to overthink or over work any project anymore once I start it. All I need is to overthink it well before I start then I can be really casual!
That looks great!

Looks awesome Dustin. Your 9 to noon the next day is much like my cook last Friday. I burned a full 18LBS bag and then another two dozen charcoals. How did you fare?

Well, I had 3 open bags of charcoal so what went in was a mix of Weber, KBB, and B&B (Mostly B&B the other 2 bags were close to empty). I'm guessing it was close to 18 to 20 pounds but I think I've got a lot of unburnt briquettes in there that I'll reuse. I always mound it up taller than the charcoal ring just because I hate having to add charcoal later in the cook. It's super hot so the WSM uses a lot less charcoal. The WSM is probably at 150 just sitting in the sun.

Looks great Dustin. Are you happy with signals and billows?
I'm happy with it. It could be better. I hate pulling it our for a cook and finding out I need a firmware update for instance. I've got enough experience with technology and cooking that I can handle most potential problems.

Back