Love that SMELL!!!

M Schneider

TVWBB Member
So far I have found many things to love about my new WSM. But the other day I noticed something that made it just that much more special. Like most folks who live in the burbs, we enter our house through the garage rather than the front door. And man, does the garage smell good! My old offset was kept in the backyard, mainly because of its size. But, we recently converted our garage into a party patio/outdoor kitchen of sorts and wanted the smaller footprint of the WSM so it wouldn't hog up so much floor space in the garage. The Genesis, 22-inch kettle, and..........the new WSM now reside full-time inside the garage when not in use. After just a couple of cooks and the initial burn-in on the new WSM, it already makes my garage smell like an old-fashioned smokehouse. Man I love that, and it has increased my desire to cook outside more often than ever before. :cool:

What ever you do don't buy a Weber Platinum Performer, you'll never leave the garage and you'll have to buy bigger pants. Good luck and good cooking.

Bill

What ever you do don't buy a Weber Platinum Performer, you'll never leave the garage and you'll have to buy bigger pants. Good luck and good cooking.

Bill

Dang Bill, the wife and I were planning to pick up a new performer in the next few weeks!! Way to burst my bubble on that one. ;)

you know what Mike, you're a young guy... you'll develop a knack for NOT smelling THAT scent after a while....
but co-workers, friends, neighbor's dogs, and folks in Church will turn and look at you like you're of fire or something...

and that's OK... I just smile and say, "Make's Ya Hungry, doesn't it?"

you know what Mike, you're a young guy... you'll develop a knack for NOT smelling THAT scent after a while....
but co-workers, friends, neighbor's dogs, and folks in Church will turn and look at you like you're of fire or something...

and that's OK... I just smile and say, "Make's Ya Hungry, doesn't it?"

Wow Jim, that's the first time I've been called "young" in a VERY long time! My body disagrees with you of course, but..........I rather like the way it sounds.

I know what you mean about tha smell Mike. I find that aroma euphoric. My wife and I are spending a couple of days here in Memephis and our hotel is right aroung the corner from Beale St. When we go out to the parking garage we can smell all the wonderful cooking goiing on fro all the smokers around us.

I know what you mean about tha smell Mike. I find that aroma euphoric. My wife and I are spending a couple of days here in Memephis and our hotel is right aroung the corner from Beale St. When we go out to the parking garage we can smell all the wonderful cooking goiing on fro all the smokers around us.

Sounds like fun! Enjoy your stay in Memphis. -M

Same here Mike. I have an old outdoor wash house where I fire up the WSM. It's got wooden beams & all that Q smoke has permeated them. Every time I walk in there, it smells of bbq. :)

Same here Mike. I have an old outdoor wash house where I fire up the WSM. It's got wooden beams & all that Q smoke has permeated them. Every time I walk in there, it smells of bbq. :)

Nice! What types of meats do you smoke most often Tony?

All sorts Mike. But I'm a big fan of Lamb.

I've only had lamb once that I remember, and at my age (55), that's kind of unbelievable actually. It was at a Brazilian Steakhouse and it was only just okay to me. If I decide to try my hand at lamb on the WSM I will pm you for some tips! Surely I can do better than that steakhouse.

Mike.

I know a few people who don't like lamb. They think it has a strong taste. I think it's because of the fat. I would recommend getting a loin of lamb, (very lean), cutting it into cubes & make kebabs out of it. I've worked with a lot of Americans, & I can't recall (m)any that liked lamb. I get the impression it's not a traditional meat Americans eat. (I may be wrong on that). Whereas in Europe/Oz/NZ/Middle East it's very popular indeed.

Here's a lamb cook I did previously if you fancy trying it.

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?55140-First-Time-2LB-Lamb-Gigot-on-WSM

Mike.

I know a few people who don't like lamb. They think it has a strong taste. I think it's because of the fat. I would recommend getting a loin of lamb, (very lean), cutting it into cubes & make kebabs out of it. I've worked with a lot of Americans, & I can't recall (m)any that liked lamb. I get the impression it's not a traditional meat Americans eat. (I may be wrong on that). Whereas in Europe/Oz/NZ/Middle East it's very popular indeed.

Here's a lamb cook I did previously if you fancy trying it.

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?55140-First-Time-2LB-Lamb-Gigot-on-WSM

Tony, that lamb looks so perfectly delicious I began licking my monitor man!!! Dang that looks good. Lamb is not a major protein source for most Americans, but it is eaten here, just to a much lesser extent than in Europe and abroad. Braised lamb shanks and lamb chops/rack of lamb is the usual preparation here. However, I have never seen any lamb dish anywhere that looked as beautiful and delicious as what you posted. I absolutely want to try that one!!! I'm just not sure I can get a hunk of lamb around here like the one you cooked. Does that particular cut of meat have a name?

Mike,

To get acquainted with lamb, if you belong to Sam's, they frequently have little chops that look like little miniature T-bones. A little salt, pepper and crushed rosemary. Grill hot and fast and one step more rare than you like your beef. I love them. I think they have more flavor than the more popular center cut chop.

Back