Lord Vader, your Junior is ready

DrewZ

TVWBB Fan
Well, almost ready. . .

I had a spare black lid from a 1000 and a half-baked idea that I could cut it down to Junior size. Today's the day I decided to jump down that rabbit hole. I marked off the size of the Junior lid on the 1000's lid, and added an extra inch for folding down the edges to mate with the end caps. Angle grinder with cutoff wheel worked just fine. From there I cut out the pieces where the lid bends and then made a very shallow cut on the inside of the lid to help make a crease where the sides would be bent. Bent the sides down, used the end piece as a template and drilled holes for the mounting studs and for the thermometer and put it all together. The back side turned a little too wide, so the hinges didn't fit. Rather than re-cut or re-bend, I ground down the mounting tabs on the end caps until they fit. While I've got the red lid off, I'm going to re-do the end caps with either Krylon High Heat Max or Rustoleum High Heat Ultra. In the meantime, here's what spending a morning with an angle grinder will do to a red Jr:

XjYnF0ewyavjJbvxTEs1B4KLogAmfjEkK2tSIEBP03FomRTTlqhOPJ8m09joZpAZM0O9O537xU7fiH9eZcH0GpByrTEBcHuf1H2I5J7xlFgF5p32gDx0w8XlQ0sp4tcL_cHArkTT2Vs=w800

That is one of the most aggressive mods I have seen yet. I never would have thought of that idea, but also, if I did, I probably never would have attempted it. I am also really surprised that the porcelain didn't chip and crack a lot worse than it did. Long term, I wonder how that bare lid metal will hold up. Or, is this simply a temporary fix while you are working on the red lid?

That is one of the most aggressive mods I have seen yet. I never would have thought of that idea, but also, if I did, I probably never would have attempted it. I am also really surprised that the porcelain didn't chip and crack a lot worse than it did. Long term, I wonder how that bare lid metal will hold up. Or, is this simply a temporary fix while you are working on the red lid?

It was a crime of opportunity more than anything. In theory, the places with bare metal will get a protective coating of grease from use. If it doesn't hold up long term, I've only wasted a decent, but not great free lid and a morning of labor. In the meantime, I can stop coveting the black Genny Juniors that I've bookmarked.

Your Jr. is an inspiration to me for my next Skyline project. I sold my beautiful dark oak one and originally planned to do something similar, although this time with a regular frame and no side-burner. Those ultra-dark gray/almost black durawood slats look so cool and would also go great with the urban Chicago feel I was trying to create for my Skyline.

I hope you won't mind if I copy you a little! :coolkettle:

Your Jr. is an inspiration to me for my next Skyline project. I sold my beautiful dark oak one and originally planned to do something similar, although this time with a regular frame and no side-burner. Those ultra-dark gray/almost black durawood slats look so cool and would also go great with the urban Chicago feel I was trying to create for my Skyline.

I hope you won't mind if I copy you a little! :coolkettle:

As long as you post pictures, feel free to copy away :smilekettle:

Back