Looking To Replace My Knives

BenM

TVWBB Fan
I am looking to replace some Cutluxe knives that I bought about 12-18 months ago. After light use, they are dull. I am looking for a day-to-day boning knife as well as a reliable knife to trim ribs, brisket, etc.

BTW - I use the Cutluxe knives about 4-6 times per month. Even after shaprening them, they remain dull. I am having trouble trimming even the easiest chicken skin. I contacted Cutluxe for a refund or an exchange.

Any suggestions and/or deals, would be appreciated

How are you sharpening them?
I have been collecting knives for years, cheap knives are never worth the headache! Look at places like Lamson, or if you like a pretty as well as very fine knife “Warther“ knife in Dover, Ohio are very nice. Sabatier are a fine French high carbon steel knife which will last a lifetime e and respond to a steel very well, nothing wrong with good old Case knives either or even old Hickory.
I have them all and none have failed me. I have the granton edge cutluxe for slicing brisket and it’s worked very well for three years now.
I’m having a hard time understanding how you are dulling these so quickly, are you using a glass cutting board or cutting on granite ?

How are you sharpening them?
I have been collecting knives for years, cheap knives are never worth the headache! Look at places like Lamson, or if you like a pretty as well as very fine knife “Warther“ knife in Dover, Ohio are very nice. Sabatier are a fine French high carbon steel knife which will last a lifetime e and respond to a steel very well, nothing wrong with good old Case knives either or even old Hickory.
I have them all and none have failed me. I have the granton edge cutluxe for slicing brisket and it’s worked very well for three years now.
I’m having a hard time understanding how you are dulling these so quickly, are you using a glass cutting board or cutting on granite ?

I have a hardwood, Acacia cutting board and use this to sharpen them.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220922-170726_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20220922-170726_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 2
A steel (what you have there) is fine for realigning the edge, it does not “sharpen” the blade, I have a small sharpener and a diamond stick (like the steel) which removes a small amount of metal to sharpen the blade. I use the steel, every time I’m through washing and drying my knives (by hand), I’ve only had to have them professionally sharpened every ten years or so. Unless I do something stupid and let a nincompoop “fix” one!

Knives or sharpening equipment? I have bought my knives only as “hands on” so I know how they feel. The cutluxe is the only exception.

Ben, if you want a good boning knife for all round household use you can't go wrong with this one it is the best bang for your buck out there . I am a retired butcher and this is one of the better boning knives I have used over the years and don't let the curve of this knife throw you off it feels great in you hand , just use the sharpener first and then use the steel when needed I prefer a flat steel over a round one , but if you have a round steel you can cut a hole in a hockey puck and slide the puck down over the shaft of the steel down to the top of the handle to protect yourself from cutting your hand when using the steel .

Mercer Culinary M23820 Millennia Black Handle, 6-Inch Curved, Boning Knife https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005P0OPWO/?tag=tvwb-20

Last edited:
Sharpening equipment...since I'm an idiot and thought I was actually sharpening the knives....

There are several sharpener threads here, they range from very expensive and rather complicated to some fairly cheap “pull through” type sharpeners. Or you could go “Old School” and buy some real whet stones, they take time to get good with but, they will last for decades, properly maintained.

I second the comments about using the steel to keep the edge aligned between sharpening sessions which should be infrequent. I use my knives a lot and they typically get sharpened only every 12 to 24 months. But I use a steel before and after each use. They never go in the sink or dishwasher. They get hand washed and put back on the rack (not in drawer where the delicate edges would get banged up.
There are many good and great knives available. Don't buy the cheapest and you don't need the most expensive. One poster above mentioned Mercer. They are a good quality brand that caters to professionals who demand a good knife at a reasonable price. They have a great selection in several different lines and price points. I am a bit of knife lover and I have many, (more than I need). I think that Mercer has one of the best price to quality ratios. Here is their web site:

https://www.mercerculinary.com/product-category/cutlery/knife-sets/

I second the comments about using the steel to keep the edge aligned between sharpening sessions which should be infrequent. I use my knives a lot and they typically get sharpened only every 12 to 24 months. But I use a steel before and after each use. They never go in the sink or dishwasher. They get hand washed and put back on the rack (not in drawer where the delicate edges would get banged up.
There are many good and great knives available. Don't buy the cheapest and you don't need the most expensive. One poster above mentioned Mercer. They are a good quality brand that caters to professionals who demand a good knife at a reasonable price. They have a great selection in several different lines and price points. I am a bit of knife lover and I have many, (more than I need). I think that Mercer has one of the best price to quality ratios. Here is their web site:

https://www.mercerculinary.com/product-category/cutlery/knife-sets/
The link does not work. It takes me to the definition of "aficianado" No lie.

Back