Looking for Smoked Tri Tip Recipe

Tim Green

TVWBB Member
Hello, I brought 2 Tri-Tip roasts today to put in 18.5 WSM this weekend and i'm looking to smoked them. What i've read mostly is they are to be grilled like a steak.
So i would appreciate any recipe for smoking these bad boys up. Thanks!!!!

How about 'smoke roasted'? That's all I can help you with...

I'd just throw some extra wood on the fire, Oak/hickory, rub it with salt/pepper/garlic powder, onion if you like, then cook it for nearly 45 minutes to desired doneness.... reverse sear or normal.

if that's not helpful, what is the desired outcome?

Hello Chris, I looked at that yesterday and like what i saw. looking to get a few more ways to BBQ tri-tip.
Great forum you have. Thanks for the help.

I have not tried it but want to give it a shot. What I have read about it is to just rub it down with a good brisket rub, or a Santa Maria rub, run your smoker around 225- 250*F and cook until approx 180 internal. This type of cook is against everything I have been taught on how to cook a TT but from what I have read it suppose to work out really well. Show us your results if you decide to give it a try. I think Bob Correll did one not too long ago, give him a shout out if he doesn't see this thread.

I have not tried it but want to give it a shot. What I have read about it is to just rub it down with a good brisket rub, or a Santa Maria rub, run your smoker around 225- 250*F and cook until approx 180 internal. This type of cook is against everything I have been taught on how to cook a TT but from what I have read it suppose to work out really well. Show us your results if you decide to give it a try. I think Bob Correll did one not too long ago, give him a shout out if he doesn't see this thread.
HERE is Bob's post...

Thanks Jim and John i took a look at the thread from Bob Correll and that's the one i'm going to try. I'll take some photos also.
Thanks Again guys!!!

Back