Looking for guidance on my new (to me) spirit

Well, yah, you likely find anyone able or willing to refill that tank. However, if you take the tank to a Walmart or other propane swap place, they will take the tank and give you a different full one with the new style connector for about $15. I have traded in about 9 or 10 of them with old style connectors with no problem, but I don't advertise the fact that it is an old style connector. They simple replace the connector and then recertify the tank and fill it for trade. I think they assume a certain percentage of the trade ins will require new connectors.

Then all you have to do is replace the connector on the grill. You could either buy a whole new hose, regulator and connector together or just replace the connector. The connector is about $5.00 on amazon. If you replace the entire hose assembly, it will cost about $10 but you either need an adapter 3/8" male Flare to 1/8" NPT, or you need to get a hose assembly with the 1/8" NPT connector already on it. The easiest solution is simply replacing the connector on the existing hose.

Can I ask how much you paid fort that grill. It is a pretty green.

Last edited:
Is there any difference between that and a Silver A?

Not really its a 5 burner grill the first year 1999 I believe where they did that Jeff did a 700 which was the 3 burner. You can notice unlike the silver there are no casters but they can be added no drop down table on the left side and they still used wood.

Beautiful green color really like it.

Frank,

Your 500 appears to be in excellent condition. Congrats!

Do what Bruce said regarding the tank trade in or go buy a new tank at a cost of around $30

Then replace that quick connect fitting in the hose end with an new Acme nut.
I have purchased both of these brands in the past and had success with both.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000BQT5H2/tvwb-20

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00URO0UTA/tvwb-20

The benefit of the Char-Broil one is that is comes with thread sealant in the package.

Jeff

Frank, as Jeff said you can go that route but that regulator if its the original is what 20 years old.

If you buy a new regulator it does not need to be Weber if you track down this fitting Bruce suggested actually you might want to PM him he helped me out as I converted mine to the the new style fitting got rid of the 1/8 on the regulator hose.

So now any regulator will fit and I would swap it out as others have suggested last time I did one which was not the new style went to Walmart had some poor teenager get it for me really they would have no clue about the fitting I carried it for her and put it in the holding box. Just go in and say you want a tank swap.

I find that the regulator assembly on the older (2005 or older) Webers appear to be of higher quality and they are typically made in Italy or Canada, whereas the new regulators sold today are almost always made in China.

If the regulator still works well, my vote is swap out the Acme nut. If I find that the regulator has gone bad, I almost always add the 1/8" npt to 3/8" flare adapter and use a regulator that has the 3/8" flare fitting. The reason is that almost every hardware store carries a regulator with the 3/8" connector in stock (but no one carries the 1/8" npt regulator and has to be ordered online).

1/8" NPT to 3/8" flare adapter: https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000BPK76G/tvwb-20

Congrats on your purchase, Frank.

Last edited:
They are hard enough to find that I will occasionally scavenge them from grills that have been thrown out.

JKim that link should help a lot of people damn hard to find them Bruce helped me out as he had some.

I had no choice to replace mine it was the original and went bad had a charbroil one that I saved when the 1000 got put into service as I trashed the charbroil. That regulator pretty sure it was made in Mexico works fine.

My vote and nothing wrong with yours by the way is get the adapter and a new propane regulator then you done in the event that one craps out. Your talking $16 dollars and change for you part plus a universal regulator on Amazon. No questions Jeff had the cheaper solution.

I find that the regulator assembly on the older (2005 or older) Webers appear to be of higher quality and they are typically made in Italy or Canada, whereas the new regulators sold today are almost always made in China.

If the regulator still works well, my vote is swap out the Acme nut. If I find that the regulator has gone bad, I almost always add the 1/8" npt to 3/8" flare adapter and use a regulator that has the 3/8" flare fitting. The reason is that almost every hardware store carries a regulator with the 3/8" connector in stock (but no one carries the 1/8" npt regulator and has to be ordered online).

1/8" NPT to 3/8" flare adapter: https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000BPK76G/tvwb-20

Congrats on your purchase, Frank.

I did the 1/8 NPT to 3/8 Flare on all my LP grills. like you said you can get a regulator any where that way.

Just get the $5.00 ACME nut, unscrew the quick connect and install the ACME with a little PTFE paste for gas (there is a type for water and a type for gas). It's cheap and handy to have. That is an outstanding find BTW

Bruce the asking price was 125 but after a bit of horse trading I got it for 100.., mostly cuz of the old school hose and regulator. And I fell in love with the color at first sight.
Thanks very much for your advice. I've been away awhile but this site is still top shelf all the way.

Brian. Thanks. I'm actually content to just junk the tank as I already have 2.
But thank you for all the options you laid out. My head is spinning but I'll figure it out.

L, thanks. I might just do that. I am very happy with this grill. Love vintage stuff... it's like me !

Yep my kids and grandson remind me all the time just how "vintage" I am "older than dirt" is the expression they use a lot

Brian. Thanks. I'm actually content to just junk the tank as I already have 2.
But thank you for all the options you laid out. My head is spinning but I'll figure it out.

Why junk the tank swap it at Walmart then you will have 3 no need to junk it honestly if they try to up charge you because of the connection I kind of get that but I doubt they will just tell them you need a tank swap.

Back