Looking For A Water Pan Solution--

Greg Mestre

Hey everyone, I just recently got my new 22.5 and have done three or four cooks on it now and they have turned out great. I just did the gasket mod and on my WSM and I am extremely glad I did because I have locked in on my target temp. and have been able to stay constant for the whole cook which is completely awesome.

I'm curious if anyone is having the same challenges that I'm having with the water pan? I foil the pan with heavy duty, wide foil but really cannot avoid having seams in the middle so I have to use multiple pieces. I've tried just foiling once over, and also foiling over twice, but I can't keep all the drippings out of my pan. Does anyone have anything that works for them? Thank you in advance.

BTW, I LOVE my cooker..... I've turned out some of the best barbeque that I've ever eaten here at home! My family and friends also love it....

Take two lengths of HD foil and lay one on top of the other. Do a sealing double fold on one side and then wrap your water pan. The fold seals the seam - at least for me.

On smaller cooks, one option is to put a pan on the lower rack to catch the drippings. Another method is to not use water. You still would want to wrap your bowl, and you'd have to create some air space. It wouldn't be as important for it not to leak if you're not using water.

I criss-cross the 18" wide HD foil and my pan stays pretty clean. One time I just got a little bit in the pan...I just smeared it around the pan....a little grease wont hurt nuttin...............

I do a crappy job of foiling then leave a disposable aluminum pan in the middle. That seems to work pretty well...

... FWIW the one time I did foil successfully was when I remembered that the strip of foil covering the middle has to go on first, so that grease from the strips covering the sides of the bowl doesn't drip *under* the middle strip.

I criss cross my clay pot, and then put a rectangle disposable pan above it, which is wrapped and then lay a piece of foil over that wrap. Oh, I buy my foil in those 500 foot packages from Sam's, really nice as they have rollers in there to make it easy to pull out.)))))::::::::::::::::>> d

Hey folks, I am having the same issue...apparently my seam allowed some drippings through. I went looking and found that GFS offers a 24" wide foil...but Glory!!! They like that stuff...$135.00 for a 500' roll! At least I think it was 500'...I was having difficulty breathing at that point. :D

Has anyone stumbled across a better source or do I simply need to perfect my seaming method?

Take two lengths of HD foil and lay one on top of the other. Do a sealing double fold on one side and then wrap your water pan. The fold seals the seam - at least for me.

Thats what I do with mine. I`ll cut two pieces the same length and then lay them on top of each other. I will fold the length edge over in about a inch and then fold this back on itself and then on itself once again. It will leave about a 1/4" wide strip down the side that has the two pieces joined together like a seam. Then just open it up and cover the pan with it. It will act like a full wide sheet with a multiple folded seam in the middle. I have yet to have this leak through with any spills with it folded over a few times.
If I`m doing something with lots of juices ( multiple butts/shoulders ) I just throw a disposable aluminum pan in there to catch the liquids but above works well with all else so far.

Last edited:
I am probably unconventional on this site. I don't wrap the pan because it's a hassle. I use water in the pan it to within 1" of the top for most cooks. The drippings float and the few tidbits that don't wipe away with a cpl paper towels. If I want to go to 325* or so for poultry I use a clay saucer wrapped in foil because the foil I have fits. If they made alum foil wide enough for the water pan and placed it on my grocery sheft I'd probably buy it. But since they don't, to me it' easier to simply wipe it out that to be concerned about not getting a drop of water or grease in the pan.

I just spray the pan with cooking spray and wipe out with a piece of paper towel and hang in the shed. I don't use water and don't care if there is a little film of grease in my pan makes clean up more easy every time. Just my two cents..

Back