Looking for a solution to a nagging problem with my WSM and Maverick ET-732.

JeffB

TVWBB Pro
As the title implies, I have used my Maverick ET-732 many times when cooking BB or ribs on my 22.5 WSM. There are moments when I really hate using the ET-732, however, because I find it extremely difficult to handle both the ET-732 wires and the lid of the WSM at the same time.

For example, when you remove the lid on the WSM to put on the meat, you have to find a way to get both wires of the ET-732 through the holes on top of the WSM lid and into position -- one of them onto the grate and the other into the meat. I don't have an extra table handy to rest the lid, and I'm not sure that would work anyway because the length of the wires may be too short. It's like a circus juggling act and I haven't yet found out the best approach.

Does anybody have any tried and true methods for simplifying this? I think it would be easier if the WSM lid were attached to the body by a hinge, but we all know that it is not built that way.

Photos would be helpful. There must be some modification that solves this problem.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!!

Smoke on! ;)

Lid mod and Grommet mod. Lid hangs off the back, and the wires run through the grommet. Set the meat in slide the probe in it, put the lid back on.

The grommet mod was easy to do. Buy yourself a small folding utility table and place next to your WSM during use (I got mine from Costco). Then get a 48" shepherd's hook to hang your lid. These hooks are used to hang plants. See this...

Last edited:
Does anybody have any tried and true methods for simplifying this?

There must be some modification that solves this problem.

Stop using your Maverick. That would be the simplest solution that solves the problem. Seriously, I mounted a lid thermometer (old wsm that didn't come with one) and that's all I use anymore. Simple. Every so often, I lift the lid and poke the meat with my Thermapen. :wsm:

Cut a slot in the top lip of the center section of the WSM. You can see the probe wire and slot in the photo:

IMG_1251_zps00b44eaf.jpg

As you gain more experience I think you'll find you need the thermos less often. At most I'll dangle the Thermo pit probe into the vent hole and check meat occasionally with a meat thermo.

Cut a slot in the top lip of the center section of the WSM. You can see the probe wire and slot in the photo:

IMG_1251_zps00b44eaf.jpg

This is what I've done with my big bullet, and I can tell you that it's much more convenient than pushing probes through grommets like I've done with my smaller bullet. One of these days I'll probably replace the grommets and cut a slot in my 18.5" as well.

I had to save your photo and lighten it to see the slit you cut, but I see what you mean now. That seems like a much simpler solution than drilling a hole. I would guess that I could cut a similar slit with my Dremel.

Thanks for the great post! You have made my life much easier. :cool:

...That seems like a much simpler solution than drilling a hole. I would guess that I could cut a similar slit with my Dremel.

Yeah, I used my Dremel tool, and it didn't take long at all.

Dwain might've already mentioned this, but if I want to cook two racks worth of meat and need to access the bottom rack I can just lift the top rack off to set on my Performer, leaving the probe wires in place. This is really convenient, especially if I'm doing any foiling in a cook. I just have to remember to put the top grate back on to finish cooking! Don't laugh...It's easy to forget that if you foil as slow as I do and put the Performer lid back on to cover the top grate while foiling the bottom grate in the wsm! :eek: Yep. I did exactly that a few months back and didn't realize it until it was time to take some peeks and check for tenderness. Thankfully, five out of the six butts were for a party the next day.

Last edited:
I drilled and used high temp grommets (3x) between the top and bottom rack, higher up towards the top rack. I can remove the lid and top rack without disturbing the probes. Clean installation and cost about $5 and 5 minutes. IF you are worried about leaking around the holes, a little rolled foil will cure that. I haven't seen a real issue.

The grommet mod was easy to do. Buy yourself a small folding utility table and place next to your WSM during use (I got mine from Costco). Then get a 48" shepherd's hook to hang your lid. These hooks are used to hang plants. See this...
I love the shepards hook idea. I'm going to be buying one myself.

It states that the ET732 probes will not fit through that size grommet though from what it says on the webpage:
***NOTE: The Maverick ET-732 has a larger probe and does NOT fit through the eyelet holes.
Have you had any issues with yours fitting through at all as some do and some don't from reading on those.

I did the larger grommet on mine like on first page and like it but others have cut a slit in the side and really like it. I really like my grommet but the slit makes moving the grates with probes attached easier.

Back