Looking for a new prepaid cell carrier

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
We don't use a ton of data, currently with Boost Mobile, which did use Sprint, not sure if it's going through T-Mobile now or someone else. Local coverage is fine, lots of dead areas traveling.
We're being told we need to upgrade to 5G phones so I'm looking to change carriers when we do.
Sticking with Samsung android smartphones. We probably only need 2GB each per month.
Consumer Cellular looks promising, any suggestions appreciated.

I use US Mobile. You can customize your plan. Depending on your phone, they have both Verizon and Sprint networks. Not sure why you think you need 5G, but they recently sent me an email saying they have 5G available. I’ve had no problems with them (I use the Verizon network). If you decide to go with them, pm me for a discount code.

I use US Mobile. You can customize your plan. Depending on your phone, they have both Verizon and Sprint networks. Not sure why you think you need 5G, but they recently sent me an email saying they have 5G available. I’ve had no problems with them (I use the Verizon network). If you decide to go with them, pm me for a discount code.
Thanks Mark, I'll check out US Mobile.
Here's what's happening after T-Mobile bought out Sprint, and Dish Network took over Boost.

"T-Mobile, the No. 2 U.S. wireless carrier, has a seven-year network-sharing agreement with Dish, but most Boost customers have phones that aren’t compatible with T-Mobile’s 4G and 5G technology. Millions of Boost customers will need new phones if the 3G network is shut off as planned, according to Dish."

First off quit using the prepaid MVNO carriers. They're all horse excrement. They may tell you "we operate on XYZ network" and that may be PARTIALLY true but NOT fully. A carriers "network" consists of FAR more than carriers with their own name. I.E. AT&T piggybacks more often than not on T-Mobile and sometimes T-M piggybacks on AT&T, and occasionally they all may "piggyback" on one another. So while your phone may say "XYZ" on the network icon it may very well be on the "ABC" network or "GHI" or whatever they have piggyback agreements with. When you buy from MVNO (mobile virtual network operator) you are only buying "native" service from that operator. So if they use say AT&T............well AT&T is ALL you will get. So if they have a dead spot (as they do at my home for example) than you will be DOA at that location. I used to use AT&T as example. Yet I got fine service at my home. Guess why? My phones piggybacked on T-Mobile who has a VERY strong presence at my house with 2 towers nearly in my yard. My buddy used to buy Consumer Cellular. (AT&T network). Well guess what............his phone was always DOA at my house. Same holds true for ALL MVNO carriers (hell even for the branded pre-pay carriers i.e. Verizon, AT&T, and so on). They only give you their own native coverage with no piggybacks.
So first and foremost dump the prepaid MVNO and branded carriers. Now I assume you're over 55. Go to T-Mobile and buy the Magenta 55+ plan. Get new 5G phones and believe me you will have outstanding service at terrific prices. I am saving over 50% from my former AT&T plan (even with my United Airlines employee discount!)!
They're the only company who actually has a true viable senior plan at a GREAT rate. I am not shilling for them believe me. But, I switched last year because I was so afraid to give up on my United Airlines plan. Why didn't I see the light sooner? The pink light LOL
Trust me on this

Can't really say what's good but I can say AT&T is awful, at least here in kalifornia

This is somewhat side-stepping the question, but I've had cell service with Comcast/Xfinity for the last four years. I was skeptical at first but it's been okay. They use the Verizon network. I had to get new phones, but the payment for both phone plus service was still less than what I'd been paying Verizon for just service on a single phone. Now that the phones are paid for I'm paying under $15/month. That includes 1GB data. Most of my data usage is at home so it goes over my local internet and doesn't cost me anything additional.

Xfinity is yet another MVNO. Go somewhere VZW does not have native coverage and you're DOA (or DIW) because it will not sign onto another tower as it could would if it was "real" VZW service. I know so many people who complain bloody murder with MVNO providers. With T-Mobile being so ubiquitous now and with the 55+ Magenta plans they're so cheap and I have not "wanted" for service anywhere. There is really no reason to not use it. Though I do know like anything else there may be areas of the country yet with spottier service but if you're anywhere near a metro area it's damn good and plenty cheap. For 2 lines $55 and that is the REAL price. no phony baloney fees/taxes or anything. And it's "all you can eat" data. (5G data they don't charge extra for 5g like the other players do)

Xfinity is yet another MVNO. Go somewhere VZW does not have native coverage and you're DOA (or DIW) because it will not sign onto another tower as it could would if it was "real" VZW service.
Four years, no problems, though I haven't been doing a lot of cross-country travel during that time. At less than $15/month for two lines, I'm happy.

I'm now paying a total of $60 for 2 lines.
You're starting to convince me, Larry.
Honestly Bob, after switching I shook my head wondering why I kept paying close to $200 mo to AT&T just hanging on to my UA discount THINKING I was getting a "deal". I even called AT&T numerous times after retiring. Asking them if they had a senior's plan. They told me only if I had a FLA zip code. No lie. So I hung on because I got top notch customer service, good cell service and honestly other than shelling out nearly $200 month no complaints. But, when I was a flight attendant I carried 2 mobile phones. One T-Mobile one AT&T. The TM one as a backup and to have a local Minnesota phone number (I was based at MSP), for my mother in law who did not have a long distance service on her home phone so she could call me without needing to make a LD call. I never "wanted" for coverage on either phone. But when I stopped flying I stayed with AT&T. But now every month I get my bill, make an automatic payment and everything works and it's fine. As for Xfinity. Yes recently I thought about going to them. BUT, they are one of the most hated companies in the country thanks to their bogus fees, bad cable service, over charging and 0 zip nada customer service. Cell service is my only service. Figured why would I want to buy my only means of communication from a company that cannot even keep my dad's home service working, my internet working and so on. And has to BUY their service from a different company! Nah no dice for me.

$125 for five lines unlimited on Cricket, which is ATT's MNVO.

Which is a fraction of what I used to pay to ATT. I haven't noticed any change in service (I use wifi a lot). My kids (who are out/about more) complain about it, but they used to complain just as much when I was paying more for full ATT.

Since I'm a Comcast customer, Xfinity would be even cheaper (cell is free; just pay for data). But just haven't bothered.

I just don't get why pay for only "part" of the service? Even Verizon has been trying to beat time on TM by offering their own senior plans. One time at Sam's someone shilling for AT&T was trying to get me to go back because she's telling me they have senior plans too. But being able to get full boat service for $70 mo for 2 lines is a bargain. Plus it's not "cut rate" service. And it's unlimited and has other perks as well. Like free Netflix and now Paramount+ IDK with how much I fully rely on mobile phone I don't want anything "cut rate".

I'm now paying a total of $60 for 2 lines.
You're starting to convince me, Larry.
He's got me convinced. I'd switch right now, but my son is in his final year in college, and he has numerous study groups and it would be a pain in the butt if he had to change phone number right now. But as soon as he's done, I'm dumping Sprint

He's got me convinced. I'd switch right now, but my son is in his final year in college, and he has numerous study groups and it would be a pain in the butt if he had to change phone number right now. But as soon as he's done, I'm dumping Sprint
He doesn't have to changed #s. The number is ported and only takes a few minutes at most.

I've been using Trac Fone for years now and have been mostly happy with it. It's a truly pay as you go service and they have a good selection of phones for cheap. I just upgraded my phone last month to a Samsung A10e for $59.00.

Back